Arizona Unit 20A

rubio52

FNG
Where'd you decide to camp?
We are going to camp on the backside of Mayer in the desert portion of it. If we have to will just drive our quads to the higher elevation into the pine trees and colder temps. We will be there sometime Thursday morning setting up camp on the main dirt road.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
We are going to camp on the backside of Mayer in the desert portion of it. If we have to will just drive our quads to the higher elevation into the pine trees and colder temps. We will be there sometime Thursday morning setting up camp on the main dirt road.
Cool. I'll stop by if I'm over that way. I'll probably be over that way around Sunday/Monday (I'm not hunting Saturday). I'll probably camp closer to Wolf Creek to start but I'm going to be on the move most of the time.

I haven't gotten a 160 yet in 20A but I know they're here.
Missed this thread in July but here are a couple 20a archery bucks to encourage you.
First year I hunted here (2019)
60134743681__6522151E-9C46-4F36-9417-EE72633F07D9.JPG
Second buck(2020):
IMG_0855 (1).JPG
2021:
IMG_0739.jpg
and a couple random bucks i have got pictures of out of season.
IMG_3136_Original.jpg
IMG_0697.jpg

rubio52

FNG
If you see a Kodiak wall tent ,odds are it will be my group. We will be with 3 trucks. My silver gmc sierra,my brothers dodge and my buddy tundra.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
If you see a Kodiak wall tent ,odds are it will be my group. We will be with 3 trucks. My silver gmc sierra,my brothers dodge and my buddy tundra.
Sweet! I'll keep an eye out. I'll be in a Silver 3500 dodge diesel from Oregon. I'll probably be camped all over the unit.

OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
I'll be here till Thursday or if my brother and buddy tag out.
Well I'm out of ideas. I've seen more bear than bucks so far (3 bear and 1 buck). Any suggestions? I've got two more days and just want any buck at this point. I've hunted on the South end in the desert, off Wagoner Road (East of Wilhoit). . . And over by Lookout Mountain and Mt. Tritle. There's sign here buy I'm not turning anything up.

Sent from my SM-F711U using Tapatalk

rubio52

FNG
Well I'm out of ideas. I've seen more bear than bucks so far (3 bear and 1 buck). Any suggestions? I've got two more days and just want any buck at this point. I've hunted on the South end in the desert, off Wagoner Road (East of Wilhoit). . . And over by Lookout Mountain and Mt. Tritle. There's sign here buy I'm not turning anything up.

We seen a total of 9 bucks, my buddy tagged out this morning finally on a forky.

rubio52

FNG

I'f you have onx I can send you a location behind Mayor

dmoto

Lil-Rokslider

FYI, I've been out over on the south side towards Towers and Hooper. Zero luck with 5+ miles on the boots each day, some steep country for sure. I've only seen does, tons of turkeys and a few javelina. Zero bucks so far. Had to head back to the valley for work, heading back up tomorrow. If anyone has any advice, I'm all ears and can trade info on spots for 20A turkey or 5A elk.

rubio52

FNG
Guys don't give up. They are there. This was my first time hunting that unit and i personally seen plenty of bucks and not just in one location. I tagged out on opening evening and my buddy tagged out this morning . Ill be going back up there tomorrow morning and try to get my brother tagged out.

Last edited:
OP
Benjblt

Benjblt

WKR
Guys don't give up. They are there. This was my first time hunting that unit and i personally seen plenty of bucks and not just in one location. I tagged out on opening evening and my buddy tagged out this morning . Ill be going back up there tomorrow morning and try to get my brother tagged out.
I didn't. I finally punched my tag on this guy this morning. Headed home. He's not a big dude but I'm happy.
605198e949251ce8683756cc2d67c4a5.jpg

I didn't. I finally punched my tag on this guy this morning. Headed home. He's not a big dude but I'm happy.

I've followed this thread from the beginning. I live and hunt in the area. It's nice to see you chose
to come down and hunt and that you ended up filling the tag on this beautiful animal.

The genuine look on your face says a lot. You ventured in to the distant unknown and it payed off.

It's not always about the size of the animal. You just proved what hunting is all about to many of us.

Dang! Congrats. I drove up from Phoenix on my lunch hour yesterday with hope that I might get lucky. I followed this thread and went through Mayer rather than Prescott. It was definitely the right decision and though I didn't get lucky this time, I learned that this unit is far better than I thought from my Prescott area experience.