arizona quail

bnsafe

WKR
I have another thread going in the general discussion but was pointed to quail. I grew up bob white hunting and miss it badly. Does anyone on here know of a decent guide that could put me on some quail without breaking the bank to do it. Most of the ones I have found so far require 2 guys and I am coming out there for a traveling nursing job so I wont have another guy.

dtrkyman

WKR
Do you have your guns with you? I think you can get on birds without a guide.

BBob

WKR
IMO You really don't need a guide for Gambel's. You can be on them in as little as 45 minutes from the center of town. AZGFD website should have some tips on how and where.

OP
B

bnsafe

WKR
thanks guys, I wont be out til first week in january so will bring my gun then.

danny6172

FNG
Good advice from the others. Washes, edges of agricultural land. Don’t even need a dog, just find the birds and then literally beat around the bush/brush they chose to hide in

dtrkyman

WKR
Gambel's like to give up their location alarm calling prior to flushing, often on the other side of a large Mesquite bush offering no shot!

I actually have called them in like a turkey a few times mimicking their calls with my voice.

I have heard desert quail run a dog into the ground? I would imagine a dog would get shredded up in the mesquite and cactus as well!

Catclaw is mean too, will stop you or the dog dead in your tracks!

Lots of thorns and spines in AZ. Some areas you have to use Lewis boots due to all the cholla on the ground. And it is often very rocky as well to wear on the dog's pads....but a dang fun hunt.