Arizona OTC Archery Mule Deer- Western AZ Desert

mavinwa2

WKR
Res WA ST, winter>Gilbert AZ , NR>AZ, UT, NM, CO.
Here is a mule deer stalk, 450 yards out of camp, on day 4 of my AZ OTC late archery mule deer hunt.
3 different groups of deer, from 25, 55, 300 yards out from my position on a knife ridgeline, peering over into the desert wash.
There was a 4x4 buck, spotted minutes later and 400 yards away, moving away from those 20+ does....and me.

After this 4th morning and couple blown stalks on day 5 & 6, Killed that buck 3 days later. Avatar is that muley buck, dry scoring 189 3/8" points.

Been hunting AZ OTC archery deer (coues, muleys) now for 18 straight years, loving it.

Be kind to this old guy, new YouTube channel, dedicated to my 4 grandsons (toddlers now) and my departed father...
Learning the video gear, processes, editing etc has been quite a challenge for my limited tech skills.

see video: Arizona Over the Counter Archery Mule Deer Hunt

Attachments

• 12282020.morning after.jpg
    12282020.morning after.jpg
    358.8 KB · Views: 270
Last edited:
Ate
Here is a mule deer stalk, 450 yards out of camp, on day 4 of my AZ OTC late archery mule deer hunt.
3 different groups of deer, from 25, 55, 300 yards out from my position on a knife ridgeline, peering over into the desert wash.
There was a 4x4 buck, spotted minutes later and 400 yards away, moving away from those 20+ does....and me.

After this 4th morning and couple blown stalks on day 5 & 6, Killed that buck 3 days later. Avatar is that muley buck, dry scoring 189 3/8" points.

Been hunting AZ OTC archery deer (coues, muleys) now for 18 straight years, loving it.

Be kind to this old guy, new YouTube channel, dedicated to my 4 grandsons (toddlers now) and my departed father...
Learning the video gear, processes, editing etc has been quite a challenge for my limited tech skills.

Are you running into rattles in the early hunts?

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
yes, I have observed several different types of rattlers when hunting early AZ archery season.

Was in Yuma desert unit, one time late August, stalking mule deer via crawling, pushing my bow out in front of me. After 90 min stalk, now about 100 yards away from bedded buck, I heard a "ping" and felt my bow vibrate. WTH ?! ...got up on my knees only to see a 4' western diamondback, now coiled and rattling feverishly in front of my bow. Startled me so bad, I jumped up....buck bounded off. I didn't care, just got the hell away from that big snake!

One of few reasons why I prefer the December-January OTC late archery deer hunts.

Dam that was close
I figured by your description and pictures you were hunting out if Yuma area.
I use to have a property outside of kingman
I seen Mohave greens and coontails every season.

OP
mavinwa2

mavinwa2

WKR
19 years hunting OTC archery deer in AZ as Non-Resident. I've hunted areas of Yuma*/Gila Bend, Arivaca/Patagonia, Kingman*/Seligman, Globe and Alpine with much success.

Usually avoid Williams>Flagstaff>Payson areas/units as too many hunters, pressure.

I stay clear of those *Green rattlers!

19 years hunting OTC archery deer in AZ as Non-Resident. I've hunted areas of Yuma*/Gila Bend, Arivaca/Patagonia, Kingman*/Seligman, Globe and Alpine with much success.

Usually avoid Williams>Flagstaff>Payson areas/units as too many hunters, pressure.

I stay clear of those *Green rattlers!
I try and stay away from all the rattlers except the good size ones I dispatch and eat.
I don’t mess with the Mohave Greens Period

jdrami36

FNG
do you guys know if the current AZ wildlife brochure is up to date with the changes for the 21-22 season or do I need to talk with a ranger about any changes?

Grady

FNG
Great description and footage, filming is very tough especially when alone.

Setcams4u

FNG
Congrats. Awesome buck. Should be another great OTC season in AZ. Rifle hunters have been struggling during this heat wave.