Arizona Backcountry Water sources

Colorado resident here, so please excuse my ignorance. I finally drew an Arizona rifle mule deer tag and plan on backpacking in to hunt. While backpacking in Colorado I can pretty confidently determine where to locate water for camp purposes using OnX. I am assuming finding a water source to camp next to will be much more difficult in the unit I will be hunting in southeast Arizona.

So question is, in your experience, how much can I trust a "spring" or water tank I find on OnX to actually be there and hold water?

My fear is hiking in 3 miles and a water tank/spring/creek I've identified on maps being completely dry and not having any water to camp for several days. Hunt will be in late October.

What are the best resources to find info on this? I plan on calling the fish and game office and seeing if they have info related to this or can answer questions about specific springs I have pin pointed. Are there other resources I should try?

I appreciate any help!

BBob

WKR
So question is, in your experience, how much can I trust a "spring" or water tank I find on OnX to actually be there and hold water?
You can’t until you physically check it. Springs are notoriously bad and usually dry. Tanks that rely on rain are hit or miss as well. Since it takes real effort to check these things you likely won’t get much info out of people.

There are GIS mapping sources with water locations but you still have to go check them. It’s part and parcel to scouting here in AZ.

I am assuming finding a water source to camp next to will be much more difficult in the unit I will be hunting in southeast Arizona.
I would be prepared to pre-pack water in southern AZ. That or plan on making water runs back to the truck. To add: no camping in AZ within 1/4 mi of a water source used by wildlife/livestock.

Last edited:
The water you will find you may be able to “purify” but it is most likely cow and elk piss as well as bugs and pretty gross. As an Oregon resident it was eye opening. I don’t even pack water in my day pack quite often we can’t go a half mile without crossing a stream normally lol.

S.Clancy

WKR
Colorado resident here, so please excuse my ignorance. I finally drew an Arizona rifle mule deer tag and plan on backpacking in to hunt. While backpacking in Colorado I can pretty confidently determine where to locate water for camp purposes using OnX. I am assuming finding a water source to camp next to will be much more difficult in the unit I will be hunting in southeast Arizona.

My fear is hiking in 3 miles and a water tank/spring/creek I've identified on maps being completely dry and not having any water to camp for several days. Hunt will be in late October.

What are the best resources to find info on this? I plan on calling the fish and game office and seeing if they have info related to this or can answer questions about specific springs I have pin pointed. Are there other resources I should try?

I appreciate any help!
PM me the unit (if you want) and if I've hunted it I can give you what I know about water sources.

dantana

FNG
To the best of my knowledge, hike az has been the best resource to check on and estimate free water availability. They have a map with journal entries and photo logs, you can sort out an area pretty quick with it. HERE