Argentina dove hunting

Jaker_cc

WKR
Our group is leaving Thursday for 5 days in Argentina. I’ve never been down there before so I’m looking for some tips for packing and planning. I think we are shooting dove 3 days and have an option to shoot pigeons and quail during the trip. I know it’s their winter so we are packing a little heavier than normally advised.

Jack321

Lil-Rokslider
Get a shoulder pad! You'll go through 1000s of rounds per day and never want to leave! It's unreal!

Bring ear protection, sunglasses, sunscreen and hat & earth tone clothes (camo, greens and browns) and comfortable shoes.

Not much too it down there. We went in March and the weather was gorgeous (not a bad time to go really.) There was never a time we didn't have doves in the air. Nothing like it compares to here at home.

Wore brown/camo pants and a camo t-shirt.

We shot pigeons, doves and parakeets all with 20ga Benelli Montefeltros, was a blast.

You'll never want to leave.

Are you renting an outfitter gun? That would be my suggestion. Taking a shotgun down a few years back was a pain in the ass. Checking guns in and out of customs added maybe three hours both ways.

Besides that, it's easy. Enjoy every second.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Are you renting an outfitter gun? That would be my suggestion. Taking a shotgun down a few years back was a pain in the ass. Checking guns in and out of customs added maybe three hours both ways.

Besides that, it's easy. Enjoy every second.

We are renting guns. It sounds like a real pain to take your own down there.

sjwfarms

WKR
Definitely the way to go using their rental guns. They're usually very nice Beretta/Benelli 20 gauges. Although it's winter our afternoon hunts were never colder than a long sleeve shooting shirt (with the aforementioned pad). We did morning duck hunts and they were on the chilly side on a few days but always warmed up by late morning. Probably no reason to overpack. About every two days my group came back to our rooms with all of our dirty laundry washed/folded on our beds, and unexpected bonus, thus I packed twice as much as actually used.

Let your guide have a few shots. It'll make their day.

It's an awesome experience, enjoy the trip.

OP
Jaker_cc

Jaker_cc

WKR
Trip of a lifetime for sure. I will be back

27353eae4295cfe24bdf137ec4167471.jpg

11f3008613e3fc31cdaa8b1dddbbb104.jpg

1f23c0cee7529176ab515344fc55e2b3.jpg

715d9625e3354e01776f367b35e9fb7e.jpg

999baab44161a941726ac0215f34fbaf.jpg

32f6d4a4e80f593abb16a82aed868c93.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wallace

Lil-Rokslider
You don't need as much as you think you do. Bring a shoulder pad if you want one, they'll likely have extras there. Gloves are needed, barrels tend to get hot down there. Couple pair of pants, couple shirts, a fleece or jacket, boots, glasses, hat, socks, and you're good to go. Most lodges will do laundry for you.

Decoying pigeon are fun, I like perdiz over dogs more (what you called quail).

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Awesome pictures. I’ve been looking at dove hunts in Mexico. Shorter flight, open bars, and the ability to bring the meat back. Not sure if that’s 100% true but I haven’t seen where it isn’t true.

MJB

WKR
Waterboy, yes you can bring the birds back but they will need to be cooked thanks to the US Government.
You'll be hunting feed lots over grain piles.
Don't overlook the quail, pheasant and ducks down there

Waterboy

Lil-Rokslider
Waterboy, yes you can bring the birds back but they will need to be cooked thanks to the US Government.
You'll be hunting feed lots over grain piles.
Don't overlook the quail, pheasant and ducks down there
You referring to Mexico or Argentina? I enjoy cooking and eating them as much as I enjoy hunting them. Quail over dogs was fun, pheasants is next on the list, I haven’t duck hunted in years, I did enjoy the few goose hunts I tried. If I could only hunt one animal for the rest of my life I’d pick dove.