Argali vs. Timberline T1?? Pros and Cons?

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Looking for a pack to replace my current REI pack. I like the ability to change bags from frame as I'll probably buy a large pack first and then supplement for 3-5 day trips with something smaller. I'll be moving to the Denver area after graduation and plan on turning up my elk/mule deer hunting game and scouting/backpack fishing trips. Any help is appreciated.

jm1607

WKR
T1 has internal sleeves for a tripod/scope. Argali you can add a scope pocket to the back and strap the tripod to the side.

T1 has 2 sewn in pockets on back. Argali you have to buy them and add them separately if you want them.

T1 has the bottom zipper to get into the bottom of your bag. Argali doesn't.

Argali is basically lighter and more stripped down and customizable.

They are around the same size. If you add pockets to the Argali they are about the same price.

You can't go wrong with either.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
T1 has internal sleeves for a tripod/scope. Argali you can add a scope pocket to the back and strap the tripod to the side.

T1 has 2 sewn in pockets on back. Argali you have to buy them and add them separately if you want them.

T1 has the bottom zipper to get into the bottom of your bag. Argali doesn't.

Argali is basically lighter and more stripped down and customizable.

They are around the same size. If you add pockets to the Argali they are about the same price.

You can't go wrong with either.

the main differences look to be the ability to customize the placement and size of the pockets you add to the Argali?? Sounds like the perfect choice I guess. Any input on what frame to purchase with either of these bags??

7stw

WKR
I have the current dt2 bag. The argali looks awesome and at a good price point for a minimalist setup but you have to add the spotting scope pocket. Mine fit well with the tripod in one side of the sleeve pocket already on the bag. I like being able to have my gear organized and the dt2 allows that without adding other pockets. Other than hip belt pockets on the belt. As far as frames I went with the ultra light hunting frame and couldn't be happier with my current setup. Added a grabit and gun bearer and think I've finally found my sweet spot for my pack system. The new bags do look really versatile though and ill probably get either a markor or argali to use some as well.

the main differences look to be the ability to customize the placement and size of the pockets you add to the Argali?? Sounds like the perfect choice I guess. Any input on what frame to purchase with either of these bags??

Correct, the DT1 is an out of the box solution whereas the Argali is very simple with the option for customization; really a matter of preference. The Argali will end up costing more once you add side and front pockets however so there is a bit of a price for customization. $389 for a Argali with 2 large belt pouches and 2 spotting scope pockets vs $329 for a DT1 with the included pockets, but you will get a little more usable space in the Argali setup.

I have the Hunting Duplex, but some have gotten the Tactical which I believe gives you a few extra attachment points (not necessary) and a thicker plastic sheet. If you are short you may prefer the 24", otherwise go with the 26".

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm not moving to Denver for another year unfortunately. I'm hoping to get this picked up soon, so I can use it this summer for a backpack fishing trip for 2 weeks. price wise I'm not really concerned as this, theoretically, would be one of the last packs I buy. Thank you all for the help, it is greatly appreciated. Now I'm curious if I could fit 2 rod tubes in the spotting scope pocket, lol.

PredatorX

WKR
DT1 and done. By the time you add all of the other pockets you will probably end up with a heavier bag. The bottom zip out is very nice for dropping your sleep gear without all of the hassle of rearranging things to get it in and out.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
Geesh,

I thought from Kifaru.net

T1 $477

Argali $194 & $318/$376 Frame

https://store.kifaru.net/mobile/timberline-1-7200ci-p4.aspx

If you are moving to Denver area I would stop in and take a peak at them in person as I bet it helps you make the decision

It's my fault I was off on the name, apparently its the "duplex" Timberline that i was looking referring too with the interchangeable pack option like the Argali. I didn't know about the other version, which seems very tempting at this point, it's a rather large saving on price.

Also, if you want I have a DT1 in wolf gray that I am looking to sell. This is the new design with the bigger pockets and no snow collar. The downside to the T1 one is that you can't switch bags if you find that the one you get doesn't exactly work for you. I also now have a 22 mag for day hunting, which wouldn't be possible without the duplex. Another cheap option would be to go with the Highcamp 7000, the bag that the Argali is replacing. It doesn't have quite as many options for customization, but it'll save you some cash.

OP
D

dvm_hunter

Lil-Rokslider
I'm looking to go the camo route. the cost of the T1 is too good to pass up it seems like. I've got a little bit of student debt to pay back.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Used the T1 in 2011 and 2012. Great pack for the money!! Sold it to my cousin and he used it this spring on our Kodiak hunt to pack his goat off the mountain. I think that T1 is a great deal especially at the price it is listed at for sale. Yeah you can't change pack bags due to its internal frame, but realistically the t1 packbag will have you covered from dayhunts to 10 day backpack based hunts.