Are you thinking about taking the plunge to the quilt life? This thread may

colonel00

WKR
Interested in the review and subscribing. I'm a quilt convert all the way but the idea is interesting.

I guess my only concern or real interest is about the sizing. To me, it seems if a "quilt" was sized big enough to be able to wrap all the way around me and "convert" to a sleeping bag then that leads to the assumption of 1 of 2 major issues. Either it is sized big enough to function well as a sleeping bag without being too restrictive which leaves a lot of extra unused coverage when in quilt mode and more to carry. Or, it is sized to be more like a quilt with a quilt's loved qualities of being lightweight, packing compact, etc. but it will be way too small and constrictive in bag mode.

After all, isn't this what many people question when venturing into the quilt realm? I often see people ask "Why wouldn't I just unzip my bag and use it as a quilt?" I'm hoping your review can really address this.

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
colonel00

I can address your questions about width. The Convert is big! The Reg is 64" in circumference from top to center before tapering to 46" at the foot. This is more room than most sleeping bags you will find. This added width gives tons of extra coverage in quilt mode and cuts down on the claustrophobic feeling in bag mode. It is certainly more weight than one of our quilts, but still lighter than most bags you will find. We built these with bag sleepers in mind, those who want to try quilts but have the back up of the zipper. The benefit for quilt users is when it gets really cold you can seal up drafts easier if needed but if you're a dedicated quilt user the Convert may not be for you at all. It does also come in a SLIM size at 58" with 42" foot and a WIDE size at 70" with a 46" foot for big users (over 300#) or as occasional use for two sleepers. Even when I end up all zipped up in a bag I much rather it is hoodless so i can use my Hoodlum and roll around inside keeping the hood on me and not getting tangled in a mummy hood.

-Tim

colonel00

WKR
Thanks for chiming in, Tim. I finally had a chance to check out your web site as well to see some of the specs. Definitely an interesting concept and I look forward to seeing this review.

Cledus

WKR
colonel00

I can address your questions about width. The Convert is big! The Reg is 64" in circumference from top to center before tapering to 46" at the foot. This is more room than most sleeping bags you will find. This added width gives tons of extra coverage in quilt mode and cuts down on the claustrophobic feeling in bag mode. It is certainly more weight than one of our quilts, but still lighter than most bags you will find. We built these with bag sleepers in mind, those who want to try quilts but have the back up of the zipper. The benefit for quilt users is when it gets really cold you can seal up drafts easier if needed but if you're a dedicated quilt user the Convert may not be for you at all. It does also come in a SLIM size at 58" with 42" foot and a WIDE size at 70" with a 46" foot for big users (over 300#) or as occasional use for two sleepers. Even when I end up all zipped up in a bag I much rather it is hoodless so i can use my Hoodlum and roll around inside keeping the hood on me and not getting tangled in a mummy hood.

-Tim
What would you suggest is the best "all around" quilt you guys offer in the Revelation? I foresee most of my hunts being early season, so I don't want to get a super warm quilt that I cant use in the summer.

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
The Revelation 20* is our biggest seller. I personally find the Rev 30* more versatile as I don't go outside nearly as much when it gets cold outside;).

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
What would you suggest is the best "all around" quilt you guys offer in the Revelation? I foresee most of my hunts being early season, so I don't want to get a super warm quilt that I cant use in the summer.
10° Rev covers me down below zero and is easily vented when warmer.

beetlespin

Lil-Rokslider
I have the 0 degree revelation and love it. I have only been on rifle hunts the last few years and I find the 0 degree so light and small i could not pass it up. If it is too warm i just open it up a bit. I can be toasty warm in the worst weather with adding on my baselayers or puffy jacket if I really needed it. I also just picked up a Kifaru woobie that I am excited to add. I am thinking about just wearing corrugate pants and merino base layers. I can then use the woobie around camp at night, when i am glassing, or an addition to my sleep system if I really want to get warm. Never regretted my quilt though, I am thinking about a 30 degree for summer camping. As with any sleep system, especially in later seasons, the R value of your pad system is very important and can make a really nice quilt or sleeping bag really cold! As others have stated, the comfort and flexibility of the quilt is excellent.

gmajor

WKR
I love the loft on the 20degree prodigy (the synthetic EE). Bombproof and I've taken it down lower than 20 plenty of times. I'm actually debating bringing it on a snow trip in place of my SD zissou 12 degree down bag believe it or not.

bccrover

FNG
How does the prodigy 20 degree compress? I was going to pull the trigger on the 20 degree down but here in the great NW scouting and archery will be with a sheep tarp most of the time. The synthetic might save some misery but I love how small and light the down is.

bobhunts

WKR
Based on what I read, and what I have... I don't believe you can go wrong with one of these. Using a Marmot Plasma 0 degree bag with 875+ dry down it weighs in at 39 ounces ( published ) And the same with a EE quilt temp rating is weighing in at 28.08 ounces. That is with 950 fill! And they seem to be way cheaper. If I had not spent so much already I might just get one. Not sure if I can stay inside one.

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
3-31-16 Update. Editor Robby here. Travis' Review on the Convert in two different temperature ratings is done. I think this article will give anyone a good feel for what these Enlightened Equipment quilts can do and how they operate.

http://www.rokslide.com/2012-01-09-...-enlightened-equipment-s-convert-quilt-review
c4b0b57ae79c5d995d3a0dc79ee39f28.jpg

MarshLaw303

Lil-Rokslider
I had to pull it down yesterday.

Our lead times are now at 16 weeks and in an effort to reduce that we are going to stop making Converts for awhile as it is much more time consuming than a standard quilt. We plan to offer it again once lead times are under control.

-Tim

I had to pull it down yesterday.

Our lead times are now at 16 weeks and in an effort to reduce that we are going to stop making Converts for awhile as it is much more time consuming than a standard quilt. We plan to offer it again once lead times are under control.

-Tim

Awesome thank you for the update. Must be a very popular item. The price and weight for what you get are pretty remarkable.

as.ks.ak

WKR
For any of y'all still interested or thinking about taking the plunge, this is my EE 0* long revelation quilt in a small 5 string Kifaru compression bag. Weighing in at 24.04 oz. I just shaved two pounds off my setup in making the move to the quilt. And have TONS more room using this compression set up compared to my sea to summit compression bag which just balls up my quilt instead of compressing it cylindrically. So pumped!!

30da8c0e824dd09e0364d790f56b6b9d.jpg

Can't shoot 'em where they ain't.

BRWNBR

WKR
I also have the EE 0degree revelation. I use a old sleeping bag compression sack and end up with a volleyball size package! Quilt is way warmer than a sleeping bag, don't ask me why cause I don't know. I was a big time skeptic, but tried it. Love it. Only use a real bag on kodiak where it's a lot more mouisture floating around and weight is no issue for them there.
There is no doubt my EE quilt is one of my pieces of gear I show to all my clients and try to explain it to them cause it's just flat out amazing how well they work. My feet are much warmer now too, always had cold feet in sleeping bags. Not anymore. Still don't get it, but still love it!

I also have the EE 0degree revelation. I use a old sleeping bag compression sack and end up with a volleyball size package! Quilt is way warmer than a sleeping bag, don't ask me why cause I don't know. I was a big time skeptic, but tried it. Love it. Only use a real bag on kodiak where it's a lot more mouisture floating around and weight is no issue for them there.
There is no doubt my EE quilt is one of my pieces of gear I show to all my clients and try to explain it to them cause it's just flat out amazing how well they work. My feet are much warmer now too, always had cold feet in sleeping bags. Not anymore. Still don't get it, but still love it!

looks like you CAN teach an old dog new tricks :). i may have to try one of these things now if it gets the jake stamp of approval