Are you taking a trailer?

WildBoose

FNG
West guys coming East, East guys going West...are you bringing a trailer? I live in KY but travel out West to hunt, hell sometimes I travel North. Once you get everything together gear, coolers, gun/guns, bow, camo, tent/camping stuff, ect... Are you finding that you can fit most of it in your vehicle or would a small utility trailer come in handy? I am torn, yeah I can fit everything in my truck...but it essentially leaves zero room.

It's like a backpack. The more space you have, the greater the need to fill it.

I made it work when I was limited the backseat of my 2-door Jeep. Now my vehicle has a lot more space so I feel compelled to bring more (typically luxury items that often go unused). Heck, give someone an 18-wheeler and trailer and they will fill the SOB.

One other drawback is it is that much more stuff that you have to worry about getting stolen when stopping for bathroom breaks, eating, sleeping, etc.

Brendan

WKR
I've been on some roads and areas where I've had to back out or turn around. And some areas where I couldn't bring a trailer. Can be a disadvantage in some situations, my preference is a full size pickup, add a roof box, roof rack, Pakmule hitch carrier, higher topper / wedge camper if you need more space.

I have used a 7x14 utility trailer once and never again. Every guy i hunt with has a full-size crew cab with topper and we can always throw a cargo rack in receiver hitch or throw some coolers on top of topper if needed. I can see maybe if you're driving across the country with a truck full of guys and you go to the same trailhead every year and have a generator with a big wall tent set-up and you don't plan on moving till you head home. But pulling a trailer on small narrow muddy or snowy FS roads is a pain in the a$$

I think we will next year. We had 3 guys and one elk tag, and it was too packed in my short bed tundra. By the time the gear came out of the big cooler and the meat came in, it was a bit of a nightmare.

We are going to a known trailhead and bringing a wall tent next year, unless we are bringing multiple vehicles, I don’t think we will have a choice. That said I’m thinking about renting an enclosed u haul. The other option is my buddy’s open trailer, and I’m worried about stuff getting stolen.

2rocky

WKR
I find utility trailers to be too light for my liking. My Father did take a 16 ft horse trailer for his South Dakota pheasant hunt with 8 people. The dog boxes, coolers and duffle bags all went in the trailer. The Tack room portion was pretty well sealed and had a door lock on it.

I have done both. How many coolers you need seems to be the limiting factor for a short bed truck. Most of my hunts have been 10-14 day archery elk and I don't think I have never not used a trailer or camper. I have done a couple quick rifle trips and got away with just a truck (two guys only is the limit here).

Werty

WKR
If I know it won't be a problem yes, cargo hitches are nice for this too, adds a lot of space.

Fullfan

WKR
26’ enclosed trailer. At one point we had 8-10 guys hunting Idaho every year. All the gear for 3-4 weeks and 4 freezers would be hauled from Pa to Idaho. Now with the tag derby, only 2-4 of us go. 4 years ago we went 7-8 on bulls. Glad to have the freezers. Here it is loaded and ready to roll.

Attachments

• D4601BF2-DF22-4CB6-8428-AE84E2300D06.jpeg
    D4601BF2-DF22-4CB6-8428-AE84E2300D06.jpeg
    601.7 KB · Views: 25
I went to Wyoming this fall with a friend, between the two of us we have 2 long bed trucks and a short bed. All Quad cab. We own 2 trailers each, and have access to a couple more we could borrow.

We took the short bed and no trailer.

If I'm bringing a trailer anyway I kind of combine the two, got an old Fleetwood Evolution E3 tent trailer (pop-up) with a deck up front. All the coolers, fire pit, whatever junk I need that can't go inside a truck goes on the front rack and my tent is conveniently folded down and packed up nice and tight. That thing went through a week of seriously cold weather this year in 3rd season (CO) and kept us alive, couple mornings were -4 and -6 respectively and snowed pretty much every day. Just the wife and I on previous trips really struggled to get a whole tent camp packed into our truck, even with basket rack and huge cooler on the hitch packed with stuff it was a Tetris game. If we killed something that year we would've had issues finding places for the gear that went up there with us riding in the coolers.

Jethro

WKR
We rent an enclosed every year. 16 ft when we are taking atv's. 12 ft when no atv's. Can't fit 4 guys and gear in 1 truck without it.

Rifle hunt with no pack in? 16ft v nose cargo trailer with fold down bunks. Lived like a king in Wyoming this year and was set up in 20 minutes after arrival! Also hauls the wheelers and other gear.

Packing in anywhere just the truck and normally a goat box on the back for the pack goats. With that setup 3 guys is max as you use some cab room for gear. But in reality if you're packing in anywhere living out of your bag you don't NEED a whole lot other than what's in your bag and some coolers. Then it's just deciding what wants make the list!