Are the higher end knifes that much better?

fwafwow

WKR
Another weekend rabbit hole/tangent for me. Looking at 2 of the MKCs, the Argali Serac and now the Lynx. Reminded me I need to get a gift for a hunting buddy/host. And also reminded me of a deer gutting question I have, but maybe should put in another thread (or search first).

svivian

WKR
That is a nice looking knife. If I had been aware of it, given the price difference, I would probably have it instead of the Jackstone.
I was pleasantly surprised by their 6" fillet knife.... waiting for him to make the 9" in the magnacut as well. The lynx has been a work horse though and easy to touch up so far on several animals.

I really like the Jackstone but the price tag was a barrier for me considering I knew i was going to be hard on the knife.

Venom One

WKR
I think this question - like all gear questions - really has no right answer.

If you go for value, you might be really impressed with how good the items is for the price you paid. BUT, you'll always wonder "is there something better?"

If you go expensive, you'll be expecting it to deliver mind-blowing satisfaction. Regardless of whether it blows your mind or not, you'll still be wondering "is there something better?"

And thus we tirelessly chase the ever-elusive "best" widget...enjoy the journey.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I was pleasantly surprised by their 6" fillet knife.... waiting for him to make the 9" in the magnacut as well. The lynx has been a work horse though and easy to touch up so far on several animals.

I really like the Jackstone but the price tag was a barrier for me considering I knew i was going to be hard on the knife.
They are tools, I will beat the snot out of the Jackstone. Though, I would take a Lynx with a Mallard over it and the total cost would be the same.

@fwafwow you should get one.

Bluumoon

WKR
I’m in no way qualified to answer, but after trying a few knives have figured out I like the cheap Mora cork handle the best for field work. The Mora is 3oz w sheath, tuned a couple times during processing w a 1oz Arkansas fine stone.

My sharpening skills are much more advanced than my 5yo and that’s about it.

Knives I prefer the Mora to:
Benchmade Bug out
Esee, don’t remember the model, sheath weighs more than the knife.
Custom A2 steel knife, very nice, but heavy
Outdoorsman replaceable blade.
Misc Buck knives.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Some of them. Those Montana knife company things seem severely overpriced to me. The ones I handled weren’t that great either. You can get an argali or Benchmade for less and it’s probably a better knife.

Disclaimer: Not a knife guy. I have a data point of 1 to share. Buddy and I both shot goats this past weekend, and he had noticeable blade dulling on his Spyderco knife midway through field dressing his. My Benchmade (forget the model, but it's a newer one with the S90V steel) was still cutting as well at the end of the field dressing as it was at the beginning. I've heard of Spyderco's in the past, they seem to be desireable knives, so I suppose that's probably a point of the quality of the steel making the biggest difference.

jimh406

WKR
The older I get the more I appreciate not having to sharpen a knife in the middle of field dressing. :D. Seriously though, I'd prefer to carry two sharp knives at least.

If the blade on the one I'm using won't stay sharp through what you are doing to an animal, then maybe you switch knives. If you are skinning/doing the gutless method, then a replaceable blade knife might make more sense. However, I do carry a lightweight sharpener just in case.

Back to the point, people have blade steel preferences, but I find the Benchmade knives have good steel that stays sharp and are strong and light. I find them better for my use than other knives I've used. But, it's just a moment in time. Companies are making better products including knives all of the time.

Jackk66

FNG
Was just courious on your alls thoughts.
Are the higher end knives hold an edge that much better than others?
I carry a Havalon and also a Gerber Exo Mod caper fixed blade with me hunting all the time.
The Gerber does most of the work all the time as far as field dressing and also skinning when I get back home.
It holds and edge pretty well for what it is.
Was just wondering if you all thought the higher end knives from like Argali, Montana etc are they really that much better of a knife than say a Gerber or a Buck?
I’ve been field dressing and butchering animals for over fifty years. From Nilgai in the very southern tip of Texas, to caribou on the north slope of Alaska. Have used everything from Case and Barlow pocket knives to handmade custom jobs. They all work, but knives, like rifles, are a very personal thing. Some just feel “right.” My go to now for every hunt is Knives of Alaska Elk Hunter model with hunter orange grips. D2 tool steel. Light enough for backpack wilderness trips. Sharpens easily and holds an edge. There are so many good knives available today by so many different makers, it’s just a question of how much do you want to spend.

mod7rem

FNG
I’m finding that the design/ergonomics of a knife is more important to me than the steel.
For 20 years I used nothing but a Gerber GatorMate folding knife to gut, skin, debone all of mine and others animals and never thought about knives. The only other thing I used was a scalpel for caping. Then a few years ago I decided to start trying different knives for some reason.
So far the best “feeling” knife for me is a Grohman #1. It feels like it was made for my hand. Another is Benchmade Steep Country (original model). It feels awesome as well, so easy to use.
I also have a NAK Lynx with Magnacut steel and although it is a beautiful knife with high end steel, it just doesn’t feel as good in my hand when working with it. Another was an LT Wright Small Northern Hunter that I was very excited to get. It’s a beautiful knife but felt terrible working with it compared to Grohman #1.
Design seems to be more important for me.

SDHNTR

WKR
No! Ive tried em all and have come full circle. Nothing beats a Case pocket knife and Tru Sharp steel, imo. Big old fat drop point blades are also just silly. I much prefer a svelte blade that easily slides up under the hide.

Wrench

WKR
The victorinox hunter on the left was bought by me as a gag gift for a buddy 20 years ago. He actually used it and I watched it work its magic.

I went back and bought one for myself and it is now permanently living in my kill kit and has been inside a LOT of animals.

I used to carry it and custom fixed blades, then the Helle you see here and now it is a coin toss what I may have in my pocket....but it doesn't matter. The vic is the one I grab.

On my mule deer hunt I had a killer zero tolerance 452 carbon fiber and the vic in my kit. I never touched the zt.

The vic holds an edge, sharpens stupid fast and locks. The blade is long and narrow for tight work, the saw is what your leatherman would have except longer and the big reason I love this thing so much is the curved blade you see. Insert that tip under the hide and one quick push is the whole length of an elk with damn near zero hair loss.

It's that awesome....and it's cheap.

Screenshot_20231207-121124_Photos.jpg

I have a big money set of Henkel knives that I butcher with and after a dozen elk I still just use the steel they came with....but I don't think anything will make me give up the vic.

Shortschaf

WKR
Classified Approved
A blade that stays sharp for gutting, skinning, and quartering one to two animals does it for me. Nothing stays sharp forever.

Buck's 420HC meets that criteria, and it takes 60 seconds to revive the edge with just a steel

"Supersteels" also meet that criteria. But they cost a lot more, take more sharpening tools, and take me far more TIME to sharpen even with the right tools. So I don't like them. I'd actually pay more for the "normal" steels after owning that hard stuff.

Ralphie

WKR
I can understand someone appreciating a high end knife, or even enjoying sharpening one. But I’m not that someone. They all dull. I like sharp. Orange Havalon for me. Yes I’ve broken blades. I’m better at not breaking them then I used to be but if I do break one it’s a non event.
Yes they are soulless. So are most of the rifles these days. 😀

manitou1

WKR
I quartered up an antelope, an elk, a muley and a whitetail with the same knife this season... never re-sharpened. I just ran it on a ceramic steel between animals.

Good steel makes a big difference. I have an S3v knife that has probably quartered ten animals and has only been hit with a ceramic steel!

I am careful if breaking down/separating bone joints and use a seperate knife for that.

I never understood the praise for Mora knives. Geometry is poor and I have never been able to keep a good edge on one.

thinhorn_AK

"DADDY"
Lots of these “high end” knives are nothing more than a blanks cut into blades and ground down. They slap their label on them and charge the fudds 300+ dollars. (MKC and bark river come to mind).