Are Rangefinders Actually Needed?

Macintosh

WKR
The cheapie rangefinders Ive used have plenty accurate readouts, the difference is that you can only range animals to 400 yards, give or take, with them in some
Conditions. An $$$$ rangefinder you’ll be able to range well past 1000 yards. The cheapies work fine though. You’ll find they all have a maximum range listed, just dont believe them. Just dont get one with a listed range of 400 yards on reflective targets, as the stated range will be a little optimistic. It is possible to get very short range models for archery hunting, this is about the inly thing to really avoid.

I find anything in the woods fairly eqsy to estimate range close enough for rifle shooting. Here in the east literally no one ever uses a rf. Its out in the open without any “reference” objects like trees, etc that I have a hard time judging range close enough. Treeline and parks in colorado would do that for sure.

No you don’t need one but why wouldn’t you just get one? A decent rangefinder is only going to run you a couple hundred.

I don't know how anyone killed animals for 100 years before rangefinders became widely available :rolleyes:...

No. You don't NEED a rangefinder. But make sure to get close enough that the animal looks big, and shoot a flat, fast cartridge. My 30-0AI with handloads only has a 4" difference in impact height between 200 and 300 yards. I can usually tell when I'm under 300 yards.

That said, rangefinders are awesome, and the best way to learn to judge range.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
A rangefinder 20+yrs ago then upgrade to ranging binos were the biggest advantage item I ever purchased. They contributed to many successful hunts. Are they required no, do they help a lot yes.

That said, rangefinders are awesome, and the best way to learn to judge range.

When I was a pre-teen and into my teens, I used to walk the straighter segments of the old homestead trail/road where I grew up and count my steps, learning distance that way. But you're right, in today's fast-paced, need-results-now, lackadaisical American culture, a rangefinder is easier.

Sure we killed a lot of game before rangefinders. There was probably a lot of misses and not so great shots made then that are a no brainer with a range finder. I thought
I was a crack shot human rangefinder up until I bought one in 2004/5. Once I got to my hunting area and started ranging with my new toy. I discovered I actually sucked at ranging. It is not necessary but if you just buy one that does what you need it to and don't get crazy it is a heck of a tool for a few hundred bucks. I invested in a Leica back in 2004/5. I still use it today. Pretty cheap when you amortize it over 20 years. I’m not saying spend more than you can afford or want to but I would recommend you buy something that will reliably range in the 1000 to 1800 yard range. You will have a good tool for those 300-400 yard shot should you want it.
On another note I practice with mine while hunting. I judge the yardage then check my guess with the rangefinder. I have gotten much better at judging distance since being able to check myself. Keeps me entertained as well.

goodlife

FNG
Sometimes it’s nice to be able to put the phone down and disconnect to lock into just playing. You can find some pretty affordable rangefinders. Depending where you are in your game, it can be helpful to focus on hitting the middle of the green vs pin hunting, which a rangefinder can encourage.