Are hiking ridges before daylight to get above elk a bad idea?

Cowbell

WKR
After much research, I have planned a couple of routes that can be hiked following up the ridge tops. Once 3-4 miles in, each ridge comes to a peak where basins can be glassed on either side. I realize these are steaper climbs but the trails I have planned are not through thick timber.
Is this a good plan to get above the elk that may be feeding in these basins before first light, or do I risk spooking due to being seen and/or thermals? If so, would it be better to try this after daylight?

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
The thermals will most likely be carrying your scent down into the basins, but it also depends what the prevailing wind may be doing as well. The problem up high around those basins is that the wind tends to swirl a lot regardless of what else is going on.

Got to ask is this an Archery hunt or Muzzleloader or Rifle. Walking the ridges can work, but like 5milesBack said the thermals will most likely be pushing your scent down. Also, if you super exposed remember you'll be easier to spot, but if the ridge has rocks and bushes to hide behind then youll at least be less likely to be sky lighted. I have seen a many hunters get busted way up on top..i forgot to thank them a few times. but if you got the winds working for you and its a big basin then you should be ok, but if its a tight basin try to not get skylighted cause youll be hunting a new basin after that.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
That's what I was afraid of. This is a rifle hunt and we are just hoping to glass some elk and then move in after the elk bed. Or set up as they are feeding back. I do think we can keep covered along the tops, I have marked routes from all directions into specific basins so that we have options in certain winds.

xziang

WKR
I think I'm in the same boat as you. I've been looking at another way up to a ridge where I've glassed elk on but that puts me in no man's land so to speak. Just don't want to blow everything out. Coming at them from below looks to be very challenging and would require a lot of GPS checking and map reading.

Ross

Super Moderator
Staff member
Any time your hiking in the dark you risk busting elk, that being sad if they don't smell you or see headlamps they tend to calm down pretty quick. Best to risk bumping them than being late for the game👍

William Hanson (live2hunt)

Super Moderator
Staff member
The thermals will most likely be carrying your scent down into the basins, but it also depends what the prevailing wind may be doing as well. The problem up high around those basins is that the wind tends to swirl a lot regardless of what else is going on.
But don't you want to be up high at day break glassing?

IdahoElk

WKR
But don't you want to be up high at day break glassing?

Within an hour after day break I try to be within a few 100yrds of being on them,by 8:30 where I hunt the wind has already begun swirling.
My spike camps are close enough to the Elk that I usually know exactly what direction to head pre dawn by the bugling activity heard during the night.
For some reason glassing from ridges doesn't work for me?

I try not to get too technical when hunting. Usually I just take my bow for a walk and go to a place or places I think elk or any other critter would be.

OP
C

Cowbell

WKR
Thanks for the info. guys - i might go high at midday to glass for evening feedings. I may be overthinking all this a bit so glad to get some perspective.

Maybe a little off topic, but when do thermals switch? Is there a rule of thumb or is it too variable based on slope, wind, sun, weather, etc.?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

MT_Wyatt

WKR
Maybe a little off topic, but when do thermals switch? Is there a rule of thumb or is it too variable based on slope, wind, sun, weather, etc.?

Sent from my LGLS990 using Tapatalk

It's really dependent on terrain.
If you had to put some really general numbers to it, maybe 10 am and 6pm. Depends on weather during the day hearing the hillsides though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk