Arctic Shield Boot Covers

chadk10

FNG
After years of using my Lacrosse Alphaburly 1600s only to end up with cold feet after a couple hours, I bought some Arctic Shield boot covers. After reading through a lot of posts regarding cold feet in the tree stand my plan is to try my uninsulated Danner Alsea boots with Darn Tough wool socks (I have all the different weights) and the Arctic Shield boot blankets. I think my feet were sweating too much in the rubber boots and no amount of insulation was going to keep them warm. Actually read a lot of people that said uninsulated boots worked better with the Arctic Shields.

Question I have is, will the Arctic Shields still work if I have snow on my boots and I put on the boot covers? I am just wondering if any snow in the boot cover will greatly diminish the effectiveness. Think of it like I've knocked off as much snow as possible, but there is still some on the bottom.

WCB

WKR
After years of using my Lacrosse Alphaburly 1600s only to end up with cold feet after a couple hours, I bought some Arctic Shield boot covers. After reading through a lot of posts regarding cold feet in the tree stand my plan is to try my uninsulated Danner Alsea boots with Darn Tough wool socks (I have all the different weights) and the Arctic Shield boot blankets. I think my feet were sweating too much in the rubber boots and no amount of insulation was going to keep them warm. Actually read a lot of people that said uninsulated boots worked better with the Arctic Shields.

Question I have is, will the Arctic Shields still work if I have snow on my boots and I put on the boot covers? I am just wondering if any snow in the boot cover will greatly diminish the effectiveness. Think of it like I've knocked off as much snow as possible, but there is still some on the bottom.
A little snow on the treads or in the laces wont hurt.

Rubber boots no matter how insulated absolutely suck in cold weather I have some 800gram and my feet get cold in weather around freezing. I wear uninsulated Crispi Wyomings in that weather all day in the stand no issue. Rubber boots just don't breath.

One thing that will help is to loosen your boots. And my dad has found actually just putting his feet in the Artric Sheild covers with a heat pack keeps his feet warm and keeps the boot covers clean and dry in side.

Scrappy

WKR
I used to use artic shields with pretty good success but i finally found the absolute best solution for completely toasty feet down to 12 below sitting in the tree before daylight. Friends cannot believe I don't wear boots in the stand any more when it starts getting cold.

I wear a cheap pair of insulated boots to walk in and hang my stand. Get my fanatic suit on, take off my boots and slip into my booties with a hand warmer in each. Feet are so comfortable now. I did add some closed cell foam to act as an insole cause standing on the stand hurt my feet without. They pack down smaller than the artic shields and keep my feet so much warmer. The only negative is if you drop a boot while changing would really suckkkkkkk.

https://www.westernmountaineering.com/down-garments/booties/standard-down-booties/

Screenshot_20230811_184139_Photos.jpg20211102_112351.jpg

dtrkyman

WKR
I have had good luck with them on stand or when glassing out west, durable enough to even walk around a bit.

I am sure those down booties are warmer as well as those giant ice breaker things, but the artic shields are quite good for the money!

make sure to size up!

JasonT

Lil-Rokslider
I bought a pair of the icebreakers and I'm sure they are warm, but they are HUGE. I'm not sure I would wear them while in a tree stand.
I haven't had a chance to use them yet so can't say for sure on the warmth.

TN2shot07

WKR
I’m a believer in the Arctic shield covers but when I need to use them I wear in a pair of hiking boots. If it’s really cold I’ll carry in an extra pair of socks to change once I’m sitting still. I normally drop in a warmer when I leave the truck so they are warm when I stick my feet in there. Rubber boots can be great for scent but your feet can’t breathe so once you sweat your feet and socks are sitting in it.

In MN the artic shields dont do much for me without hand or foot warmers added. Then they work great.

I used to use artic shields with pretty good success but i finally found the absolute best solution for completely toasty feet down to 12 below sitting in the tree before daylight. Friends cannot believe I don't wear boots in the stand any more when it starts getting cold.

I wear a cheap pair of insulated boots to walk in and hang my stand. Get my fanatic suit on, take off my boots and slip into my booties with a hand warmer in each. Feet are so comfortable now. I did add some closed cell foam to act as an insole cause standing on the stand hurt my feet without. They pack down smaller than the artic shields and keep my feet so much warmer. The only negative is if you drop a boot while changing would really suckkkkkkk.

https://www.westernmountaineering.com/down-garments/booties/standard-down-booties/

View attachment 587566View attachment 587562

No issue compressing the loft below and losing heat through the sole? I do like this idea.

Binz17

Lil-Rokslider
The arctic shields are pretty good vs wind, I'd think the down ones may be but not as good? I wear mine over my boots any time below freezing, put them on before you need them.

Scrappy

WKR
No issue compressing the loft below and losing heat through the sole? I do like this idea.
No Sir, they have a type of thin sole on them that I have no idea what it's made of. With the added insoles I put in I don't even feel the cold metal of the stand transferring.

Artic shield works very well but agree knock off the snow

Another option I use is heated socks. Expensive but so worth it. Wait about 2hrs before turning on to low settings. Gets be thru all days sits