Archery shop

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
What do you guys expect from your local shop that you bought your bow and outfitted it at?
For a new string that i buy through them, they want to charge me 50 for an install and another 80 for the tune. Is this acceptable or too much? It ends up being close to 300 bucks every 1-2 years

87TT

WKR
Being the Cheapskate that I am, that means I saved $130 by doing my own. And them tuning for you is not tuning for YOU unless you're shooting it during the tune.

DB29

Lil-Rokslider
IMO. If you buy the string from the shop, the install and basic paper tune should be included. Also, a minor tune if needed after the string stretches.

They can make the price what they want for that, but that is the minimum needed.

If the shop won’t provide this, why wouldn’t I buy from the string maker, save money, and do the rest myself?

Edit: At that price buy a last chance press for $500. Replace your own string and have buddies buy you beer to change their stings and you will be in free beer before you know it.

Last edited:
The only thing I expect from my shop is for them to hand the bow across the counter. The last bow I purchased they “tuned” it for free. I had to go home and redo ALL of it. I’d just buy a press and learn to do it yourself.

I agree with a lot of what's been said. the majority of bow shops seem to be tits on a bull and talk to people like they don't need you. in my opinion, if you bring me a tuned bow and ask for strings then it is my job to hand something back to you in the same condition. there's no reason to charge for strings, charge for install then charge to make it shoot. now, there is a line there. I will not spend hours with you getting you and the bow perfect for free, but it will leave able to shoot perfect at 20. so, for basic requirements, string and install are the only charge, basic tune is automatic, and honestly that is the most many shops know how to do.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
That’s what I thought when they told me the price. I felt like they aren’t taking care of their customer base at those prices. The only reason I haven’t started working on my own bow is time. I have about 14 different hobbies and 3 kids lol. And 2 of the kids are twins. So at this point in my life, you can say my hands are a bit full

TheHammer

WKR
Sounds like you aren’t a valuable customer… try talking to the owner? Any day I walk in my archery shop of choice, I don’t get charged. Free tune ups, range time, string replacement, any service or need. Granted I push a lot of people their way because I’ve been happy with the service I’ve received for the 11yrs I’ve been patronizing them.

OP
Bcoonce117

Bcoonce117

Lil-Rokslider
Both my brother and I both bought our bows and all the fixings there. And I got a buddy to his bow there too. And I buy my arrows there as well. I definitely spend like a valued customer

you shouldn't have to spend money to be a valued customer. without customers, businesses do not exist so any person willing to walk into a shop is automatically a valued customer. just my opinion.

TheHammer

WKR
Both my brother and I both bought our bows and all the fixings there. And I got a buddy to his bow there too. And I buy my arrows there as well. I definitely spend like a valued customer
I just seen you also have twins. It was fun, now they are into moms make up, and becoming little ladies, I will be full grey in a year. Being a small business owner I can assure you a simple conversation with honest feedback is very useful. Unless this shop is large and the only outfit in town with arrogant support.

Point Man

Lil-Rokslider
I'm shocked by the OP's experience. I bought a Mathews Switchback XT from our local archery dealer back when the SBXT first hit the market. I took it into him a month ago and he ordered custom strings for it and charged me nothing for the install and tune. Maybe it was the fact that my wife bought an entry level bow from him a few months ago. Never the less, one has to enjoy service like that.

Luked

WKR
What in the world are they doing to tune it? are they shooting it through a hooter shooter or something?
The small shop we have close, if you buy a string he will install and time it and help you tune.
For that kind of money if I were you I would buy a press and start doing your own. Or find another shop.

mod-it

Lil-Rokslider
$50 bucks for them to press the bow, remove old string set and install new, set axle to axle to spec, set brace height to spec, make sure it makes peak poundage, and time the cams to hit at the same time is a pretty decent price.
$80 bucks to tune it seems pretty steep if all they do is shoot it through paper at 6' with a fletched field point arrow. Especially if the Tech is the one shooting the bow. Then all they're handing you back is a bow tuned to shoot bullet holes for a Tech that probably doesn't even have the same draw length as what the bow is set on.

Last edited:
My local shop does all of this for the cost of the string. They make up for it by me buying more stuff from them and recommending them to friends. I'd be finding a new bow shop if I were you. That, or I'd be buying my own equipment.

svivian

WKR
Might as well order online at a cheaper price and have them install it if they are going to charge you....

Thats a good way to lose business

Marble

WKR
I've had my shop do everything from $500-$100 for a string install. Just depended on how much went on to the tuning. Of they are good at what they do, they should be pretty close to being correct when they first install the string. But sometimes it takes time to get it right.

I've been doing my strings myself for awhile, my buddy does it actually and I help. I learn something everything.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Haro450

FNG
I think the best advice is learn to do it yourself. I had two bad experiences with a local bow shop. Said screw that and bought a bow press. Been doing my own work for years. I actually switch bow brands due to that dealer. The bow shop use now is because of the service he provides not because of the bows he sales. Good service this days is hard to come by.

I will say, a lot of it comes down to business model as well as detail of the job performed. I can tell you it's very unlikely any shop will replace a string and tune for the actual cost of the string. now, you may pay 150 for a string and everything is included but that's only the shop adding his fee on top of the cost.
for me, I've always been very transparent with my customers. I will sell you an item for cost, then charge you for labor. at the end of the day its all the same. also, as far as labor goes, not every bow is the same. its more work on a prime or Mathews bow than an elite bow, so you either come up with a blanket price or price each job separate. tuning is a different animal. a basic tune to me may be different to you so it's hard to really flame a shop for charging if we don't actually know what they consider tuning.

Brunson84

Lil-Rokslider
Best archery purchase I ever made was a bow press of my own.. the shops around me do not tune, they set it up and adjust a peep or sight but no arrow or cam tuning. If you buy the bow from them basic set up is free, if you didn't buy it from them its around a minimum of 80 bucks to put it in the press.