First Elk Hunt Next Year - Worth a Bow upgrade? Left Hand Deals at Local Pro Shop

nicj91

FNG
I'm heading on a DIY archery elk hunt with some friends next year, I'm not a super experienced archer, definitely the least of the group. I have shot a few deer from a stand at ~20 yards with the only bow I've ever owned a Left Handed 2013 Hoyt Charger I got used. But its the only bow I owned or really shot - haven't really tinkered with it much besides having draw length adjusted and string changed. I've never shot more than 30 yards in practice but wanted to change a few accessories after the 2023 dear season to start dialing in more as I also got access to a nearby range to use. I stopped in a new shop as I've moved recently to get bow setup help, the owner happened to show me a few left handed bows. I wasn't really looking to upgrade but not opposed to it as he showed me the two Left Handed bows they had and that they were on a steep discount. PSE Fortis 33 (2023 New - $800 bare) and a PSE Stealth Carbon Air 60# (Used - 2019 or 2020, $600 with some furniture, ready to shoot, on consignment from original owner with transferable warranty as it was bought in the store). Are either of these deals good enough that I should consider? Having not shot many bows and being left handed, I'm not really sure what to look for if I do go in and shoot them. I also have a shorter draw length, not exactly sure what it is but I currently shoot a 27" arrow so it would be in the 25-26" range.

Your Charger is a good bow and perfectly capable of killing elk, but so are those PSE's. Go shoot them and see what you think. The performance difference is negligible, but you may like the feel better. Be sure to shoot them all at the same draw weight/length to get a good comparison.

Zac

WKR
Depends on your budget I suppose, the Air has the old shim system so I personally would stay away from that. Fortis would be solid though. If you’re looking to make a worthy purchase you probably want to put that money into an arrow build. I’d go with Iron Wills custom arrows, or something from Valkyrie.

Bump79

WKR
If it was me - I'd go out and get a leftover Prime Inline 1 LH. Why? Because they come with free strings every 2 years for life. It's just a good investment.

OP
N

nicj91

FNG
Depends on your budget I suppose, the Air has the old shim system so I personally would stay away from that. Fortis would be solid though. If you’re looking to make a worthy purchase you probably want to put that money into an arrow build. I’d go with Iron Wills custom arrows, or something from Valkyrie.
Thanks for the insight on the shims. I did have an arrow build planned as part of making some updates and what not which is part of why I went to the shop as I really want to try and update all the accessories and then start with my ideal arrow and just have that to tinker with. These bows seemed like a decent deal so I thought I'd ask. One reason I am considering it is to just have a backup bow for my trip as well - leave my current set up as is for a backup if needed and bolt my new accessories on the new bow. Gonna take Mighty Mouses advice and go shoot them both.

Zac

WKR
Thanks for the insight on the shims. I did have an arrow build planned as part of making some updates and what not which is part of why I went to the shop as I really want to try and update all the accessories and then start with my ideal arrow and just have that to tinker with. These bows seemed like a decent deal so I thought I'd ask. One reason I am considering it is to just have a backup bow for my trip as well - leave my current set up as is for a backup if needed and bolt my new accessories on the new bow. Gonna take Mighty Mouses advice and go shoot them both.
Yeah not a bad option at all. Those are both good rigs, the Carbon one is just a major PITA to tune, while the aluminum model is actually really easy with the updated shim option and the PBTS. You don't need boutique arrows, but if you have 6-8 hundred bucks the arrow build will get you a lot better terminal performance than a new bow. Especially if you don't feel that confident past 30, or 40.

few907

FNG
Be careful!! Seems like every time I go and "just see how they shoot" I end up with a new bow

• Love
Reactions: Zac
I'm heading on a DIY archery elk hunt with some friends next year, I'm not a super experienced archer, definitely the least of the group. I have shot a few deer from a stand at ~20 yards with the only bow I've ever owned a Left Handed 2013 Hoyt Charger I got used. But its the only bow I owned or really shot - haven't really tinkered with it much besides having draw length adjusted and string changed. I've never shot more than 30 yards in practice but wanted to change a few accessories after the 2023 dear season to start dialing in more as I also got access to a nearby range to use. I stopped in a new shop as I've moved recently to get bow setup help, the owner happened to show me a few left handed bows. I wasn't really looking to upgrade but not opposed to it as he showed me the two Left Handed bows they had and that they were on a steep discount. PSE Fortis 33 (2023 New - $800 bare) and a PSE Stealth Carbon Air 60# (Used - 2019 or 2020, $600 with some furniture, ready to shoot, on consignment from original owner with transferable warranty as it was bought in the store). Are either of these deals good enough that I should consider? Having not shot many bows and being left handed, I'm not really sure what to look for if I do go in and shoot them. I also have a shorter draw length, not exactly sure what it is but I currently shoot a 27" arrow so it would be in the 25-26" range.
Arrow length won’t tell you much on draw length. I’m a 29” draw length and I cut my arrows 27” carbon to carbon.

New bows are definitely an upgrade from a decade old bow but you may or may not notice with limited experience. Your bow is definitely capable of what you need from it. But go shoot them. You might find one just speaks to you. And if not, get behind yours and learn it well.

You can definitely kill elk at 20 yards, but the chance you may need to stretch it out is much higher coming out west.

I agree with the others. Take your bow to the shop. Shoot the bows and see if you think it’s an upgrade. Then call me for an RX7