Archery pro shops

How important is a pro shop (for an experienced shooter)? When I started archery I spent tons of time at the “local” pro shop especially considering it was 30 minutes away!
I would have them check my tune probably 3 times per year, new strings every year, always upgrading sights, quiver, etc. even would go there to shoot leagues. Over time I ended with a different bow, and as life gets busy just slowly stopped going. The guys I had relationships with at the shop all moved on to different careers and eventually the shop closed down. I went to the next closest shop a few times but it was quite impersonal. Then a couple visits to a local guy for new strings and a tune.
Now I’m in a position to possibly acquire a new bow but not from a pro shop. So my question is (and I think I know the answer) should I just learn to setup and tune my own stuff, or would you try to find a new shop to build a relationship with? I’ve been building arrows for years, setup a lot of sights/sight tapes. I just get intimidated when I start thinking about cams, timing, shims, twisting strings, and all those things. Especially on an almost $2k bow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob5589

WKR
Now that I do all my own work, a pro shop is not that important at all.

OR Archer

WKR
The answer is both. Having a good shop is going to help you when learning. If you support them by buying bows/arrows/supplies they’ll help answer tuning questions etc most of the time. They’ll probably even show you stuff also. I never had an issue helping guys who supported the shop I worked at when they wanted to learn something. As long as I had the time to show them I would. YouTube is great for learning but watching something in person is way better because you can ask the “why” questions as you do.

WMag338

WKR
My local pro shop was terrible. Inexperienced kids working there. Not attention to detail. They only recommended & stocked the cheapest equipment, parts, & accessories.

Got so fed up with them i figured there no way i can be worse than them. So i watched a ton of youtubes and read everything i can get my hands on. Purchased all my own tools. Now im installing my own strings, doing my own tunes, installing my own accessories, peeps, etc.

Much happier now.

WBrim

WKR
I’ve seen some good shops (that I still like to go to when in the area) and some somewhat poor ones where I felt like I should have some input, if we are making it up as we go. If you can find one with good people, I say build that community up.

WBrim

WKR
But, I have a lot to learn and it’s always a good idea to be able to work on your own gear as much as you’re capable. Some people are more capable, some not so much. If you can, I think it’s best to

gelton

WKR
The only time I need a pro shop these days is when I break something and Mathew’s BS policies require they be purchased directly from a dealer.

Other than that learning to do your own work and tuning is the only way to go. Spend a couple grand or less (basically the price of a new bow) to get all setup and you will be set for life.

Luked

WKR
I had a great shop here in town years ago and shot with them a lot. Did most of my work on my own stuff with their equiptment also. Got to know them really well and learned a lot.
They had a bad deal happen and some guys broke in and stole a lot of stuff and the guy jsut could not recover money wise from it so he closed down.
Any more with You Tube there is so much info out there its crazy. But you also have to be careful with what you watch. I normally watch vids that I am looking for from pretty reputable stores or sites so I know the info is good. Then just go after it. Its really not that hard at all.
I have a Press, Draw Board and arrow saw, and loads of other small stuff to do anything I have needed to do so far.
I think the more you start doing your own work, it makes you a better archer also as you are more comfortable with your setups and know when something is off or needs to be changed.

mikeafeagin22

Lil-Rokslider
I like doing all of my own stuff but it’s sure nice having a fall back for help! I was ready to pull what little hair I have left on my head out a couple weeks ago til I talked to someone that knows a whole lot more than I do