Archery Setups to Minimize Frontal Shots

jonesn3

Lil-Rokslider
Archery elk seasons over the past handful of years have often had frontal shot opportunities. Most opportunities in past seasons were passed up in hopes of a better shot, broadside or quartering, but this year we had an encounter that didn't go according to plan that involved a frontal shot. Another scenario from this season initially presented as a frontal, but with some patients, it turned into a lethal broadside shot.

So, I'm curious, when folks have a elk come in frontal are you doing anything intentional to get a better shot opportunity when the elk is 15-25 yds away? I've heard guys say they wait until the elk whirls, then stop the elk with call or mouth noise ("mew" or "yo"), then take a quartering shot (or something similar). How are you avoiding taking a frontal shot, or rather, how are you setting yourself up physically (or mentally) to have a better shot opportunity? I would love to hear constructive advice or suggestions instead of just "don't take a frontal shot". Thanks in advance.

Tough one. The elk is coming to your sound, just like when you call your dog, they know right where the sound is coming from. If you’re calling solo, many will come in head on. I simply take the frontal and don’t count on stopping them if the whirl. Bad news potentially as you rush a shot. You can try to set up with terrain that will funnel them left or right of you, but this is hit or miss when they hang up. I started a thread a couple years back along the lines of “ learn the frontal if you want to kill elk” and there is a good reason I posted that.

Good luck have fun!

Beendare

WKR
Love the frontal shot..its money.

If you are trying to avoid it, the caller needs to direct the bull to the side of the shooter. Its too hard for the shooter to move in that situation, the caller has to do it…or use a decoy.

Read1t48

WKR
Nothing wrong with the frontal shot if you know the anatomy of an elk, you’re at a proper distance, and you are comfortable with the shot. Probably wouldn’t recommend it for a hunter that has never harvested an elk. Get the jitters out on a broadside shot, first. Elk coming in on a frontal is a very common scenario if you’re a solo hunter.
Tips…
Casting calls behind you, to the side, or placing your hand over the end of your tube can cause a bull to come at an angle. You can also throw a rock to the side of you as the bull gets close - if it’s thick cover, they may think the rock is the elk and head to that spot.
Remember the doorway principle. If your set up is good, and you know the doorway, you can position yourself for a broadside shot.

Marble

WKR
I don't understand why taking a frontal shot at 15-25 yards is an issue. Seems like a no-brainer.

I get that a broadside is better, but in reality, the frontal is super lethal.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Now that you have a dozen opinions on taking the frontal shot, I will try to answer your question. I hunt solo, and if at all possible I will call then move slightly downwind. In all likelihood the bull will be focused on where he heard your call, but often will move downwind of the sound as he approaches. He may give you the broadside shot you're looking for as he looks for the bull he heard bugling (you). It's worked for me several times.

I do a lot of solo hunting and calling and am not afraid to take a frontal shot if the conditions are right. With that said, I have used the rock trick several times with great success of turning a bull broadside for the shot. It is very brushy where I hunt so I think that helps in this situation.

I have also used short, heavy pieces of wood when rocks weren’t available.

I have been caught throwing the rock once by a bull and that was no bueno. Obviously never got a shot but it was worth seeing his eyes get as big as mine 😂

Archery elk seasons over the past handful of years have often had frontal shot opportunities. Most opportunities in past seasons were passed up in hopes of a better shot, broadside or quartering, but this year we had an encounter that didn't go according to plan that involved a frontal shot. Another scenario from this season initially presented as a frontal, but with some patients, it turned into a lethal broadside shot.

So, I'm curious, when folks have a elk come in frontal are you doing anything intentional to get a better shot opportunity when the elk is 15-25 yds away? I've heard guys say they wait until the elk whirls, then stop the elk with call or mouth noise ("mew" or "yo"), then take a quartering shot (or something similar). How are you avoiding taking a frontal shot, or rather, how are you setting yourself up physically (or mentally) to have a better shot opportunity? I would love to hear constructive advice or suggestions instead of just "don't take a frontal shot". Thanks in advance.
I usually like to call and move ahead to the upwind side if it's possible I like to have a cross wind in my set up instead of only trying to be upwind. I've also done well when I put an obstacle between me and the bull like blow down timber (which is ever increasing in most elk country) or thick jack pines that forces him to go around.

Dave_

Lil-Rokslider
If your solo and don't like the frontal your optiond are either moving a few yards downwind after you call, trying to cast the sound of your calls, or choosing your calling position very carefully (or a combo) are a about the only things you do in your favor.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk