Archery Mule Deer Rangefinder

I’ve currently got the cheap vortex impact 1000 rangefinder. I just drew my first mule deer tag in colorado. Money is tight right now and I’m wondering if I need a better rangefinder? I know you get what you pay for in just seeing if saving for a new rangefinder makes sense, or if I can make it in the high country with the cheap vortex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Westhunt

FNG
I've used the ranger 1000 for years and it works just fine. Of course a nice range finder is always nice. But it's not necessary if money is tight, save it for gas to go hunting.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

OP
J
Just don’t forget to make sure it’s on the angle compensation mode. Don’t want to learn that the hard way.

I heard this one isn’t very accurate when it comes to angles

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Just bought a Bushnell 1400, 6x with angle. $99 from Bass pro.

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Gotcha. Any way to test it out in your area before heading to CO?

Another option is to rent one for your trip. I’ve done that for spotting scopes on my trips.

OP
J
Gotcha. Any way to test it out in your area before heading to CO?

Another option is to rent one for your trip. I’ve done that for spotting scopes on my trips.

What does it cost to rent a spotter?

SteveTX

Lil-Rokslider
Depends on the model and for how long. These are a good start.

OP
J
Depends on the model and for how long. These are a good start.

Damn, fairly affordable. Might do that!

D

Deleted member 8-15-23

Imo, 12x50 good glass on a tripod, no spotter needed.

htlt_surfboards

Lil-Rokslider
I used that vortex for about 5 years on multiple mulie hunts. It will work just fine for you if money is tight. There are a few scenarios that it was a little frustrating. In low light it sometimes had a hard time getting a reading and the digital read out in the eyepiece can be hard to see. Times that it has been foggy I also noticed that it would struggle to get a good range. I have since upgraded to a full draw 4 and tested it against my vortex in both of those conditions and it is definitely and improvement. As far as angle compensation I actually haven't noticed a difference between the two. The flight path feature of the full draw is also pretty handy. If you are going to upgrade Euro optic has a pretty good deal on the full draw 4

Are we talking archery or rifle? Mine has been good to me for archery with yardage and angles. Not sure how it would be for a long steep rifle shot though