Archery Hunt Dates

Early season when it opens or coincide with new moon/solunar tables later after everyone else educates and stanks up the area?

I prefer to hunt when the season opens. I have had my best luck and killing big bulls before they get in with the cows. My advice is to hunt everyday of the season you can. Most of the bulls I have killed with a bow were killed by Sept 5.

ElkNut1

WKR
I run a bit different, I don't hunt herd type quality bulls until they are cowed up, the reason being is they are the most vulnerable to calling & Call & Stalk methods! I'll take from the 12th to the 25th or to the end of Sept.!

Moon phases do not hinder our plans at all. Check in with the Tip & Tactics Elk Forum on the Home page as I will have a write up soon on hunting the Full Moon times & such, there may be some points of interest for you to glean from! I'm basically referring to OTC hunts

ElkNut1

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
In my experience a full moon can certainly have an effect on a spot and stalk hunt (another good way to bowhunt elk), as critters leave open feeding areas before light pretty often during the full moon.

les welch

Super Moderator
Staff member
I run a bit different, I don't hunt herd type quality bulls until they are cowed up, the reason being is they are the most vulnerable to calling & Call & Stalk methods! I'll take from the 12th to the 25th or to the end of Sept.!

Moon phases do not hinder our plans at all. Check in with the Tip & Tactics Elk Forum on the Home page as I will have a write up soon on hunting the Full Moon times & such, there may be some points of interest for you to glean from! I'm basically referring to OTC hunts

ElkNut1

Spot on. I'll also add, I'll hunt any day I can. Moon, rain, snow, wind, sun, what have you. If I can get out, I'm going because it still beats being where I am right now!