Archery Angle Compensation with a Leica

shmcleod

FNG
Does anyone have any experience using angle compensation on Leica rangefinder? I just picked up the 2000 - B, and read through the user manual. I think I have it set correctly, but there is no such thing as a bow mode or something similar.

Anyways, when I shoot it at the top of the tree , meaning steep angle and short distance, it is not giving me the same read out as my current rangefinder in bow mode. I was hoping to upgrade to a rangefinder that could shoot longer distances to help me in stalking, but of course I still need one that gives me accurate ranges out of a tree stand.

Thx!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

ZDR

WKR
The CRF 2000-B should have a mode called EHR or equivalent horizontal range. There is no bow mode but EHR is essentially that.

Scoot

WKR
Just curious-- does that model compensate for angle at all distances? It used to be the case that under a certain yardage there was no correction on some models (I think). Just curious...

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
Thanks for the reply. That's just the thing, I have it set on EHR, but at short, steep range it doesn't seem to be changing the read out.

For example, I shot it at the top of a tree and it gives me 23 yds. Then, I shot my current Bushnell, which has a "bow mode" Angle compensation, and it shows 23 yds, 37°, and an adjusted distance of 18 yds.

So not sure if the EHR might have an additional setting of which ballistic I'm using? Something like that?

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
Just curious-- does that model compensate for angle at all distances? It used to be the case that under a certain yardage there was no correction on some models (I think). Just curious...
I'm worried that might be the case

ZDR

WKR
Interesting, have you tried it on something besides a tree? EHR should be good from 10 to 1200 yds or so on a Leica.

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
I'll try that. Maybe a chimney or something. I actually picked up 2 of these, one for Friend, and am getting the same results with both. So, we'll see...

Reactions: ZDR

CHAD PEZZLE

Lil-Rokslider
I thought I remember reading that certain models of Leica don't support angle compensation under a 100 yards. Does the manual indicate if there's a limit? Try ranging something further away that's at a steep angle and confirm.

Also I believe Leicas don't show both distances (straight and angle compensated) at the same time. I think you have to continue to toggle the second button to "scroll" to the angle compensated distance.

def90

WKR
Here are the menu steps to set EHR from the manual:

Settings and selecting the ballistic output formats Start with step 1 if you have not previously opened the menu control, or with step 3 if you have just specified the zeroing range and ABC is still flashing in the display

1. Press and hold the secondary button (1) (≥3s). • The display shows USE
2. Press the secondary button briefly (<2s) three times. • The display changes to bAll, then to SId, and then to Ab
3. Press the main button (2) several times to select the required ballistic setting
- EHr or
- HOLd, or
- 1-1 (1MOA), Display in decimal
- 1-3 (1 /3 MOA), or
- 1-4 (1 /4 MOA), or
- 10mm or
- 5m
4. Save your setting by briefly pressing the secondary button. • The saved setting is lit continuously for 4s as confirmation and then disappears.

Maybe you are setting the EHR mode but not saving it correctly? Specs say angle comp works up to 2000yds with no minimum distance listed other than the 10yds where nothing works.

Reactions: ZDR

4ester

WKR
On my 1600-B the angle comp does not work under 100 yards. These things suck for archery.

The EHR only works when you select one of the ballistic solutions, which I don’t care to use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

UtahJimmy

WKR
Is there a RF that works well for archery AND can reliably hit over 1k yards?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

OP
shmcleod

shmcleod

FNG
Here are the menu steps to set EHR from the manual:

Settings and selecting the ballistic output formats Start with step 1 if you have not previously opened the menu control, or with step 3 if you have just specified the zeroing range and ABC is still flashing in the display

1. Press and hold the secondary button (1) (≥3s). • The display shows USE
2. Press the secondary button briefly (3. Press the main button (2) several times to select the required ballistic setting
- EHr or
- HOLd, or
- 1-1 (1MOA), Display in decimal
- 1-3 (1 /3 MOA), or
- 1-4 (1 /4 MOA), or
- 10mm or
- 5m
4. Save your setting by briefly pressing the secondary button. • The saved setting is lit continuously for 4s as confirmation and then disappears.

Maybe you are setting the EHR mode but not saving it correctly? Specs say angle comp works up to 2000yds with no minimum distance listed other than the 10yds where nothing works.
Where do the specs "say EHR works from 10m to 2000m?"

BBob

WKR

Attachments

• LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 2000-B Tech Spec.JPG
    LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 2000-B Tech Spec.JPG
    92.2 KB · Views: 32
  • Leica_SO_Pi_Rangemaster 2000-B_0516_EN.pdf
    82.7 KB · Views: 5

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
The Lieca will give you LOS reeding first then you need to keep watching and it will give you the EHR reading a second or two later. I use mine at close ranges all the time.

BucksNBulls

Lil-Rokslider
Press button to turn on RF. Press again and release to range. It will give 2 different readings a second or two apart. EHR is the second reading.

Swagstaff

FNG
I'm just wondering if this ever got resolved. I'm looking at a rangefinder for archery and rifle hunting, and that angle compensation is really handy. So is it just a matter of waiting 2 seconds?

Maybe I just need to head over to Cabelas and check it out.

BBob

WKR
I'm just wondering if this ever got resolved. I'm looking at a rangefinder for archery and rifle hunting, and that angle compensation is really handy. So is it just a matter of waiting 2 seconds?
It all depends on how you program it. If you have a ballistics curve programmed then yes you can set it to display the EHR after the initial distance reading. The ballistic curves are rifle specific and I have no idea how they might work when using them for archery. I personally have always turned the ballistics calculations off on all the leica's I've owned. I use the secondary button for the angle combined with a cut chart (archery) for determining EHR. For rifle I use the angle to plug into a ballistics app.

Attachments

• LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 2000-B EHR Ballistic Setup.JPG
    LEICA RANGEMASTER CRF 2000-B EHR Ballistic Setup.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 24

Swagstaff

FNG
It all depends on how you program it. If you have a ballistics curve programmed then yes you can set it to display the EHR after the initial distance reading. The ballistic curves are rifle specific and I have no idea how they might work when using them for archery. I personally have always turned the ballistics calculations off on all the leica's I've owned. I use the secondary button for the angle combined with a cut chart (archery) for determining EHR. For rifle I use the angle to plug into a ballistics app.
Thanks! Out of curiosity, what rangefinder do you use?

I once bought a Leica 1600B in 2013 and it would only angle correct beyond 110 yds....worthless for archery. Luckily my local dealer replaced it with the angle correct down to 10 yd 1000 yd version...which is very slow (2 second delay) in showing the angle corrected yardage. Also angle correction does not work in scan mode...a serious shortcoming.

I still have the Leica unit but it is my backup unit. I use a Leupold RX1600i with DNA and EHD. The unit is perfect in that in archery mode it gives you the angle corrected yardage only.....the distance I want to shoot a critter. It also gives the angle corrected yardage in scan mode. Scan mode is very useful....I rarely rely on one reading from a rangefinder without checking it once, twice or three times more. With the Leica, turn it on with a button press, then hold the button down and it's in scan mode displaying a new angle corrected yardage every second or so. When I get good correlation from several readings that I know hit my target, I know I have a valid range to the target, not a false reading off a limb, leaf, grass or otherwise off of the intended target.