AR15 for training and hunting

cod0396

FNG
Thought about getting Ruger SFAR since it’s an AR15 sized 308, but then ammo’s expensive again and I’m having to swap optics from gun to gun and re-zeroing.

I have a 6.5 and 308 bolt gun for longer range stuff.

Think ing about a mid powered optic with offset red dot on this build. Maybe an Accupoint or Credo 3-9 or 2.5-10 or 2.5-15.
That or any lightweight AR10 would be a fantastic choice as well. Load that bad boy up with 155-178gr TMK, ELD-M or AMAX, and you'll have a VERY effective setup.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
If you want a AR style rifle, then why don’t you bump up to the AR10 in 308?

Bump to the AR10 and go with 6.5 or .308... problem solved.
If you want an ar15/m4 feeling rifle the ar10 isn't. It is heavier and bulky, and to me just felt clumsy by comparison.

Also, if the 77gr TMK is so effective, why do you think you need more? More dead? More bloodshot? What problem is solved by using an ar10?

SloppyJ

WKR
Lack of authority. Just guessing but I'd assume roughly double the bullet weight and 1000ft/lbs of energy. Youll lose a few hundred fps but i doubt youd want to use the smaller caliber at longer range. If the .223 is working for you that's great. This is just my opinion.

I've never been in a hunting situation where the tiny extra bit of heft from an AR10 is going to matter one bit. Assuming barrel lengths are close, I'd chose the larger caliber every single time.

MattB

WKR
You should read the famous .223 thread, and so should everyone else who hasn’t. Go read that thread. Look at the overwhelming data, and walk away knowing that you can kill deer up to 450 yards with the 77 TMK. It’s proven quite well from that thread that energy has little to do with the wounding characteristics of a particular projectile. The actual range will depend on impact velocity, minimum 1800 fps. In a gas gun, muzzle velocity will be lower than the same barrel-length bolt gun for obvious reasons. Even in a SBR AR, you have a 350 yard deer gun.
This, quoting for emphasis.

Just reading the responses preceding this, there are already statements which do not seems to be grounded in direct experience. Guys are reliably and cleanly killing big game beyond 400 yards with .223's with the right bullets.

Veloci_Wrench

Lil-Rokslider
Lack of authority. Just guessing but I'd assume roughly double the bullet weight and 1000ft/lbs of energy. Youll lose a few hundred fps but i doubt youd want to use the smaller caliber at longer range. If the .223 is working for you that's great. This is just my opinion.

I've never been in a hunting situation where the tiny extra bit of heft from an AR10 is going to matter one bit. Assuming barrel lengths are close, I'd chose the larger caliber every single time.
I used to believe that bigger was always better. I even told friends for years that they shouldn’t use their AR’s (5.56) to hunt. I hunted with a .308 because I wanted a “better margin of error”. I also believed that energy on target was commensurate to effectiveness on game.

Then one day, I stumbled upon the famous .223 thread. You should read the whole thing. My jaw dropped, and I learned more on that thread in a month than in the years of reading articles, watching ballistics videos, and listening to other hunters.

If someone still doesn’t feel comfortable hunting with .223, even though it will kill elk easily at 450 yards, then 6mm ARC is the easy answer. High bc projectiles, good velocity, etc make it very effective short and long range. Probably the only advantage of 6CM over ARC is shots past 600 yards and great ammo selection currently.

SloppyJ

WKR
I used to believe that bigger was always better. I even told friends for years that they shouldn’t use their AR’s (5.56) to hunt. I hunted with a .308 because I wanted a “better margin of error”. I also believed that energy on target was commensurate to effectiveness on game.

Then one day, I stumbled upon the famous .223 thread. You should read the whole thing. My jaw dropped, and I learned more on that thread in a month than in the years of reading articles, watching ballistics videos, and listening to other hunters.

If someone still doesn’t feel comfortable hunting with .223, even though it will kill elk easily at 450 yards, then 6mm ARC is the easy answer. High bc projectiles, good velocity, etc make it very effective short and long range. Probably the only advantage of 6CM over ARC is shots past 600 yards and great ammo selection currently.
Always down to learn. I'll check it out.

BigNate

Lil-Rokslider
I guess most people are reloading the 77tmk? Seems like Black Hills is the only place to get it and of course seems hard to find anywhere.
Federal offers the same bullet in factory ammo but with a blue tip. It is also a little too popular to always be available but is an option.
Have you made it through the. 223 thread yet?

Long Cut

WKR
AR15’s are more than capable, plus with how the World is... I’d opt for a semiauto over a bolt.

Me personally with the rising costs, I’d opt for a Palmetto State Armory AR15 and toss on..

Bravo/LMT bolt carrier group
Geisselle Trigger SSAE
Radiant charging handle
White Oak Armament Barrel

Barrel length...
IF you’re planning on suppressing and using the gun for closer ranges I’d go 16”
If you want to try getting a wild hair and shooting distance I’d go 18-20” barrel length

Bullets:
77TMK’s are proven
75 ELD’s
I’ve personally had good results with 70gr TSX’s/TTSXout of 18-20” platforms inside 150 yards as well

Someone’s going to jump down my throat for recommending Palmetto State... But I’d use the money saved and put it towards ammunition, training/range time.

Or maybe you’re in a great position financially and can afford an LMT or Knights Amament. Then that’s your obvious choice.

I hope this helps