AR Cartridge for Hunting

CMuehl

FNG
I'm trying to decide between AR cartridges for coyotes/pigs/targets. I was originally thinking of building an AR-10 but that would be heavier and more expensive than building just an AR-15 upper. All of the load data in the attached chart (Except 6mm ARC & 22-250) came from the Lyman AR Reloading Handbook 2nd Edition. The 6mm ARC data came from Hornady's 11th Edition reloading manual. The velocities i used are the average of the max velocities for each powder listed. I then looked up velocity vs barrel length comparisons for each cartridge and adjusted the velocities so they're all roughly what would be found in 20" barrels. Does anyone have experience with 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC? The 6mm ARC doesn't seam to offer anything over the Grendel unless I'm way off on my velocities. Grendel ammo is also a lot cheaper and more available. Let me know your thoughts.
LR AR Comparison.JPG

Northpark

WKR
For pigs, coyotes, deer, etc. I have a 5.56 AR with a 16” barrel. If deer and hogs or even feral goats are on the menu I use a 64gr hammer hunter. If I’m predator calling a 40gr vMax does the job nicely.

Have to admit I’ve been wanting a 6mm arc lately for some reason. The Grendel is easily accessible though.

I have used the 65G for a couple of years now. I have shot several deer and a few coyotes with no issues. No pigs.

If you are hunting pigs- deer than I say 6.5 Grendel.

Varmints like coyotes, p-dogs etc a .22 is fine.

The 6mm ARC would be right in between for a “do it all” depending on bullet selection

chicoredneck

Lil-Rokslider
I’m currently shooting a 223 18” and have taken several deer and antelope with it. Have taken feral pigs in the past with a 223 without issue as well. I used to shoot a 6.8spc and didn’t see any difference in its effect over the 223. Currently running Hornady Superformance 75gr bthp.

OP
C

CMuehl

FNG
I currently have a Savage Model 11 in 22-250 that I take out for prairie dogs and coyotes. With factory 55gr ammo it's good for a few hundred yards but I'd like to be able to shoot coyotes out a little farther. I don't currently hand load but I'd like to start once powder and primers are more available. I'm surprised by how well the .223 with heavier bullets holds up against the others. I may just save the money I'd spend on an upper for a future reloading setup.

B23

WKR
If you already have an AR15 a 6 ARC upper would make for a much lighter setup than anything off a AR10 build.

Like many of you I've been kicking around the idea of a 6 ARC upper as well.

From what research I’ve done, the 6.5 Grendel is about the best option for an AR platform without wanting to go subsonic. That’s also throwing the 223/5.56/223 wylde out of the equation For all around energy the Grendel is nearly impossible to beat, without stepping up to big bores

The only issue with the Grendel is that it is so danged slow. Varmints come in at unexpected ranges and are usually moving quickly. A grendel at 2580fps, 100yd zero, drops around 4” at 200, 9” at 250 yards, and 15” at 300.. that’s the only downside to varmint hunting with a grendel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gbflyer

WKR
Can’t go wrong with an old school 6X45 either. Unless you’re not reloading.

Formidilosus

Super Moderator
I'm trying to decide between AR cartridges for coyotes/pigs/targets. I was originally thinking of building an AR-10 but that would be heavier and more expensive than building just an AR-15 upper.

Large frame AR’s suck. Unless absolutely required for a particular task, stick with AR15. You could stop right here and a good 5.56mm AR with 77gr TMK’s will do everything you asked about.

Does anyone have experience with 6.5 Grendel or 6mm ARC? The 6mm ARC doesn't seam to offer anything over the Grendel unless I'm way off on my velocities.

The 6 ARC is better than the 6.5 Grendel in nearly every aspect. I like and use/used the Grendel- the 6 ARC is what the Grendel should have been. Less recoil, better BC for usable weight bullets, better terminal effects past close/mid range due to increased impact velocity, good factory readily ammo, etc.

But between a 6 ARC and 223, for what you asked about, it’s a 223 Witt 77gr every time unless killing big game past 500m is the legitimate use.

2rsquared

Lil-Rokslider
You all hunt deer with .223 Sierra Match Kings? Are these head shots?

Can someone post the link to the thread on this? Would like to hear more.

To the OP, stay with the ar15 platform. Ar10's are heavy. They are making them lighter these days, but still too much for me to be carrying around in the deer woods.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

To the OP, stay with the ar15 platform. Ar10's are heavy. They are making them lighter these days, but still too much for me to be carrying around in the deer woods.

Haha you are in for it, here is a bit of light reading

My uncle built up a 6.5creedmoor with a 20” Christensen carbon barrel and that thing weighs less than my tikka bolt rifles unscoped.. also cost about $2800 but yeah. AR10 are heavy lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B23

WKR
My uncle built up a 6.5creedmoor with a 20” Christensen carbon barrel and that thing weighs less than my tikka bolt rifles unscoped.. also cost about $2800 but yeah. AR10 are heavy lol
I would love to know the build specs of your uncle's 6.5 CM AR10 build because I have a Seekins SP10 that I put a 6.5CM Proof CFW barrel on and it ways pounds, not ounces, more than either of my Tikka bolt rifles.