AR 15 6.5 Grendel for Youngins

I’m thinking about getting an AR 15 6.5 Grendel for my kids to shoot still hunting. I know thegfun will be heavy but they will be propped up. The recoil on the AR platform will be way less and the adjustable stock options should fit them for many years.

What AR brands or setups do y’all use or recommend?

I appreciate any input!!

Grendel is a great 300 yard and under gun, perfect for young kids or anyone sensitive to recoil. Palmetto State would be on the cheaper end probably mid 5's, I wouldn't go less then that and obviously you could spend double that if you desire but not needed.

I’m thinking about getting an AR 15 6.5 Grendel for my kids to shoot still hunting. I know thegfun will be heavy but they will be propped up. The recoil on the AR platform will be way less and the adjustable stock options should fit them for many years.

What AR brands or setups do y’all use or recommend?

I appreciate any input!!

CMMG and Aero Precision both make complete guns in 6.5 Gendel, and they're both very solid companies. If you wanted to save some cash, you could get a cheap complete Palmetto State Armory lower, and a complete CMMG or Aero upper.

When buying complete ARs, quality tends to match directly to price until you get up to about $1500, where, while still getting improving quality, it's not as much extra quality per dollar you spend after that rough price-point. Definitely diminishing returns. The heart of reliability in an AR is a well-built bolt-carrier group, and properly assembled gas system, so buying a higher quality upper gets you extra reliability and generally also better accuracy as well.

If you're looking for something bigger than .223 or .22 cal, you might also consider 6mm ARC - it's a great option, with a bit less recoil and a bit flatter shooting than 6.5G.

Given that this is a gun for your kids to learn on, one extra bit that I can offer is that muzzle blast is often just as much of a factor in developing a flinch as recoil, and a suppressor slashes both pretty well.

OP
ChasinTails27
Grendel is a great 300 yard and under gun, perfect for young kids or anyone sensitive to recoil. Palmetto State would be on the cheaper end probably mid 5's, I wouldn't go less then that and obviously you could spend double that if you desire but not needed.
Yea that’s all I need! I’ve been eyeing the diamond back arms one. It looks decent! I just don’t know much about that company.

OP
ChasinTails27
CMMG and Aero Precision both make complete guns in 6.5 Gendel, and they're both very solid companies. If you wanted to save some cash, you could get a cheap complete Palmetto State Armory lower, and a complete CMMG or Aero upper.

When buying complete ARs, quality tends to match directly to price until you get up to about $1500, where, while still getting improving quality, it's not as much extra quality per dollar you spend after that rough price-point. Definitely diminishing returns. The heart of reliability in an AR is a well-built bolt-carrier group, and properly assembled gas system, so buying a higher quality upper gets you extra reliability and generally also better accuracy as well.

If you're looking for something bigger than .223 or .22 cal, you might also consider 6mm ARC - it's a great option, with a bit less recoil and a bit flatter shooting than 6.5G.

Given that this is a gun for your kids to learn on, one extra bit that I can offer is that muzzle blast is often just as much of a factor in developing a flinch as recoil, and a suppressor slashes both pretty well.
Yea that’s makes sense. A suppressor would be sweet on it. Alexander Arms has one too that is normally $1500-1600 on sale for $1100. A little higher price point than the Diamondback one I mentioned earlier.

Nicaburns

Lil-Rokslider
I have one that is built off of and aero m4e1 platform with a faxon pencil barrel… weighs 7.5# with a Trijicon Ascent 3-12.
At least a dozen kills between 6 or 7 kids… I don’t think you can go wrong with a 6.5g AR

wesfromky

WKR
If you have not read this thread yet, it might be worth your time.

OP
ChasinTails27
If you have not read this thread yet, it might be worth your time.

Thanks I’ll check it out