Applying for MT & CO question

DanimalW

WKR
I’m planning to apply for MT next year with a friend (both with 2 points). Obviously 2 points aren’t a guaranteed deal anymore. Ideally, I’d like to burn some points applying in CO (the points drew the tag I’d want this year) so I could hunt there if Montana doesn’t happen. So Montana first choice, and Colorado second as a backup. Is there anyway to pull that off without being stuck with a tag for both states, AND without paying for the CO tag, AND without losing my CO preference points?
Thanks for your insight!

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
Montana draws before CO, I believe. If you draw Montana, you have the few days now in CO to reject the tag and not lose money or preference points. Seems like a perfect setup for what you want to accomplish.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
DanimalW

DanimalW

WKR
Montana draws before CO, I believe. If you draw Montana, you have the few days now in CO to reject the tag and not lose money or preference points. Seems like a perfect setup for what you want to accomplish.

How does that work then? MT draw around April 15. CO application deadline is April 4th. From what I’m reading from CPW, you can reject a tag and refund your money OR your PP’s. Are you saying there’s a window when you can refund both? I’ve only ever bought PP’s in CO, so do they not require you to purchase an elk license to actually apply? Then you would turn the tag in for a PP refund before purchasing the actual license? Thanks for the clarification. It’s appreciated!

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
How does that work then? MT draw around April 15. CO application deadline is April 4th. From what I’m reading from CPW, you can reject a tag and refund your money OR your PP’s. Are you saying there’s a window when you can refund both? I’ve only ever bought PP’s in CO, so do they not require you to purchase an elk license to actually apply? Then you would turn the tag in for a PP refund before purchasing the actual license? Thanks for the clarification. It’s appreciated!
Yes. The refund OR preference points turnback option up to 30 days prior to season start is still available. New this year, however, is a few day window after.the draw where you can go on line to reject the tag and your points will be restored as well as tag removed from your account. Exactly what you need for the scenario you describe. For instance, elk was drawn on Friday. The deadline to reject the tag for no charge and keeping points is tonight, Mon., by 11:59pm

Roger17

Lil-Rokslider
2 dogs makes a good point. You won't gain a PP for that year in CO, but it still meets your goal for not getting stuck with two tags. Other option is an OTC CO tag or second choice draw. That gets a point and eliminates chances of having two tags.

OP
DanimalW

DanimalW

WKR
Thanks for your feedback guys. You’ve helped a ton!