Anything new for 6.8 western ?

todd m

FNG
i've written emails to Starline, Petersen, Lapua, and ADG; all 3 have indicated the same thing regarding 6.8W brass. Lapua said "probably never" - Starline and ADG both said "we'll see how the market reacts, we're having a hard time keeping up with demand for the calibers we do make" - Peterson said "it's come up in discussion but likely 2 years out." I've got the emails and can screen shot them if anyone cares to see the exact verbiage. A facebook group I'm in started a chain reaction of emails from members to these MFGR's and we all pretty much got the same form letters in response. That said, the nickle plated Browning and Win brass is pretty good and the Winchester brass isn't half bad if you cull it for out of tolerance pieces, deformed pieces, wrinkled necks, caved in necks, etc; I think 90% of the pieces are decent and I've gotten 6 firings on about 100 pieces so far (annealed after 3rd round, then after every firing since). Fierce also started making 6.8W semi-customs, Oregon Mountain Rifle Co (OMR), Carbon6, and Xcaliber all do 6.8 Western Barrels (or fast twist barrel blanks).

_Tyler_

FNG
Fierce is using it officially in their Rival line now. Used to be a custom order, but now it’s available through the gun builder.

z987k

WKR
If you're going to hand load a copper 277, why not the 150gr SBD-2 with a .710 BC?

todd m

FNG
Fierce is using it officially in their Rival line now. Used to be a custom order, but now it’s available through the gun builder.
Also in Rage CT (though not shown on their website); got mine about a month ago, there are several more on various sites.

I have some Norma WSM brass that I will likely re-purpose when I start loading next month. Slowly starting to see more load data out there.

Termite

FNG
I created this thread a bit ago. But since there is more talk about 6.8 brass please take a look and email the manufactures. As Todd m said they seem to at least be giving it thought.

wartak

FNG
With the Shot Show going, is there any new support for 6.8 Western in rifles or ammo?
Just got word from a contact at Barnes that the powers that be marketing manager or whatever his title was doing some investigating into the size of demand for 6.8 western and may be looking to fire up production on this caliber with 155 lrx as an offering.
My contact there also said that the 155lrx was intended for calibers specifically like the 6.8 western.
Take this with a grain of salt but it makes me hopeful.
Also they Said the more inquiries and requests they get the more likely they will be to kick it into high gear.
Not going to lie it would be cool to see Savage and Tikka join the party as well as Federal with their Terminal accent bullet.. I really like the terminal accent. In a 160-170 grain option I think it would be an amazing offering for 6.8.

Gila

WKR
Just got word from a contact at Barnes that the powers that be marketing manager or whatever his title was doing some investigating into the size of demand for 6.8 western and may be looking to fire up production on this caliber with 155 lrx as an offering.
My contact there also said that the 155lrx was intended for calibers specifically like the 6.8 western.
Take this with a grain of salt but it makes me hopeful.
Also they Said the more inquiries and requests they get the more likely they will be to kick it into high gear.
Not going to lie it would be cool to see Savage and Tikka join the party as well as Federal with their Terminal accent bullet.. I really like the terminal accent. In a 160-170 grain option I think it would be an amazing offering for 6.8.
That’s really good news! My Tikka 6.8 western barrel is going to the smith this week. I am going to look into the terminal ascent. Recieved my Redding match s-type dies yesterday. Hornady won’t make dies for the 6.8 Western which doesn’t break my heart any.

The Tikka action is perfect for the 6.8 Western cartridge. CA has jumped on the bandwagon. I would like to see Tikka and Savage make those rifles too. Then maybe we can get Peterson and Lapua to start making brass.

wartak

FNG
That’s really good news! My Tikka 6.8 western barrel is going to the smith this week. I am going to look into the terminal ascent. Recieved my Redding match s-type dies yesterday. Hornady won’t make dies for the 6.8 Western which doesn’t break my heart any.

The Tikka action is perfect for the 6.8 Western cartridge. CA has jumped on the bandwagon. I would like to see Tikka and Savage make those rifles too. Then maybe we can get Peterson and Lapua to start making brass.
It wouldn't hurt to contact Berger and let them know your interested, it will only help grease the wheels on this wagon.

wartak

FNG
This is from Jon (ceo over at choice ammunition)

Hi Garret,

Thanks for the email and reaching out on the 6.8 Western.
We do want to put that load out as soon as possible! Unfortunately, there is no availability for the bullet currently, but we do have an order in with Barnes.

Please keep checking in!

Kind Regards,

Jon

It appears there has been a pretty high demand for this .277 lrx bullet. Someone is using them in mass quantities for something.

Gila

WKR
It wouldn't hurt to contact Berger and let them know your interested, it will only help grease the wheels on this wagon.
Berger just recently came out with a 170gr EOL with a G!: 662

That’s a monster! LOL

amassi

WKR
This is from Jon (ceo over at choice ammunition)

Hi Garret,

Thanks for the email and reaching out on the 6.8 Western.
We do want to put that load out as soon as possible! Unfortunately, there is no availability for the bullet currently, but we do have an order in with Barnes.

Please keep checking in!

Kind Regards,

Jon

It appears there has been a pretty high demand for this .277 lrx bullet. Someone is using them in mass quantities for something.

The bullet is available for sale on Barnes website and In Stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amassi

WKR
Yep, they just don't have very many in stock at the moment as it has been in pretty high demand.

Doubtful there high demand for a new bullet that works in precisely one saami cartridge.
I was pointing out more to the fact that if they’re for sale to the public they have enough to sell 5,000 to choice so they can load them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk