Anyone use BEAR PAW DESIGN Tents? Perhaps the Canopy 2?

Hey guys,
I have seen threads discussing Bear Paw on this site before, but really didn't find info on whether they are tested in the back country. Anyone? I have read the sewing and finish can look poor but very functional none the less. Anyone tested this company?

The Canopy 2 looks a lot like the megatarp...

http://bearpawwd.com/tarps/canopy_tents.php

thanks

jm1607

WKR
I have one.. Sewing and finish were perfect on mine.. Haven't spent a ton of time in the field in it, but I love it.. for the price it's pretty unbeatable IMO.. After using/trying a Mountainsmith, LBO, TT Rainshadow 2, and BA CopperSpur UL2, this is my favorite solo shelter.. The dimensions are very similar to the kifaru super/mega tarps but without the price tag and name

I set it up the other day as it started to rain.. As soon as it started pouring hard I finished and jumped inside.. Heavy winds.. I was very comfortable inside! Wasn't scared the tent was going to blow away or anything.. I love the double guy lines in the front and back, gives me an extra sense of security that was missing from my Rainshadow.. Not a ton of head room like the LBO but enough, just enough to sit up.. No way I was getting wet.. Plenty of coverage for me and my pack.. After guy lines (extra long) the weight comes to 22oz.. I don't see why it wouldn't hold up well in the long run, it's high quality sil

If I had to do it all over again I'd take a hard look at the cuben fiber options, they really are cheap at $295.. Cheaper than most high end tents/tarps.. I'd probably go with the thicker .74 cuben so the tarp isn't totally see through lol.. Be nice to have some shade

Also, it comes pre-seam sealed which is a nice change.. And they did a good job at it

I think if more people knew about this tarp they would sell alot more.. I came across it by total accident

Last edited:

Lil-Rokslider
I just recieved my Luna 6 from Bear Paw Design a couple of weeks ago and I'm very pleased with the looks and quality. I read a lot of reviews talking about the sewing of the seams looking crappy but mine looks top notch. I can't wait to use it and test it out in the field. I also bought a couple of their water bags which looked nice also with real clean sewing job. Also my Luna 6 weighted exactly as advertised with 4 extra guy outs.

Just got my luna 6 and like 450 was pleased with the fit and finish overall. No chance to really use it yet, but sets up quickly and is pretty light for a 3 man tent....

bbrown

WKR
I was looking at the Canopy 2 while back and I think its closer to the Super Tarp than the Mega. One thing John did mention is this tarp can not be used as a flat tarp where the Kifaru tarps can I believe.

I had John at BPWD sew in the stove jack and also build be nest for my Oware 9x9. I also picked up a flat tarp from him and all dealings have been good with him. Good service and quality in my experience.

Throc

Lil-Rokslider
I've had great experience with John as well. Made me a nice 1.2 nest for my SL5 and it's top notch. Very reasonable too. I'm sending my SL5 to have a tear repaired and his fee is very reasonable.

Rucker61

WKR
I've got a Luna 5 that I've used last season. Extra guys outs, net door and perimeter and stove jack. Probably a bit much for my solo use, but, man, the room is nice. John is great to work with, and I guess it helps I can stop by his house to pick up and chat about tents, too. ;)

Hungarydog

Lil-Rokslider
Got a custom pyranet from them for my cimarron and it's awesome, when I ordered it i talked to John personally and went over what I wanted

I've ended up talking to John directly as well. He's given me good customer service, very helpful. I've never been in a canopy 2 though.

OP
Jeff Martin
Thank you all very much !! You guys are right, I think the Canopy 2 gets overlooked by a ton of people. Below are the specs. You are right, the Sq Ft is not as large as the Mega, but built more like the Mega than the Super. In the Super, you lose the pitched hight in the rear, and in the Canopy 2, it is more like a Mega. I guess you could say it is a Single person Mega ....thank you All

PitchedFrontBackHeightFrontBackSq Ft
supertarp 1326876 522662
Megatarp 1366868 525264
Lagarita 1187057 522657
Duomid 10460 52 43
Canapoy 1 1025656 362640
Canapoy 2 1027474 463652

jm1607

WKR
Anyone run the extended beaks or just the standard?

I bought the standard.. I was in it in a pretty good storm.. Wind whipping good, rain pouring down.. I was well covered on all sides, I'm glad I didn't get them extended

jm1607

WKR
Here's some pics of mine.. The bottom pic compares it to an LBO packed.. It packs to almost the size of a nalgene bottle.. I also set it up now so the trekking poles are more vertical and just slightly canted, it gives me more room inside.. In the pics I also set it up pretty high, basically maxed out my trekking poles.. In bad weather I'd drop it down a bit.. Still have plenty of height IMO

20150418_151825_resized_1.jpg

20150418_151816_resized_2.jpg

20150418_151840_resized_1.jpg

20150417_160040_resized_1.jpg

OP
Jeff Martin
That is extended with Zipper & Vent. I wanted the ability to zip to the ground if needed. I will take some photos with pad.