Anyone Use a Buddy Heater at 9-11k Altitude?

TX_Diver

WKR

*zap*

WKR
I guess the low oxygen shutoff....you could use a single burner propane stove instead if you can deal with an open flame...ozark trails makes a decent one. It is my preferred stove for car camping.

I’ve used it in 10 below at about 7-8k for several brutal days. Didn’t know there could be an issue. They’re affordable and work well for me but maybe I lucked out or wasn’t high enough.

ndayton

WKR
I used one in Colorado at 9500' elevation without issue. The temps were in the low teens, so mornings and evenings in my tent were much more bearable.

Montucky

WKR
Classified Approved
I’ve used Mr Buddy at 9950 in Colorado. He works but can be a bit fussy. My application was in a CABELAS BigHorn tent. Heated many frosty nights. I tried lighting him up inside my truck topper & low oxygen sensor shuts the system down. Probably need to keep a window cracked but never experimented further with that scenario, hopefully this helps

OP
T

TX_Diver

WKR
I’ve used Mr Buddy at 9950 in Colorado. He works but can be a bit fussy. My application was in a CABELAS BigHorn tent. Heated many frosty nights. I tried lighting him up inside my truck topper & low oxygen sensor shuts the system down. Probably need to keep a window cracked but never experimented further with that scenario, hopefully this helps

That was my concern in the topper. Have windows so not a problem but would be nice to have if it works!

I have used mine at up to 10,500 feet in my wall tent and truck topper. Sometimes they can be finicky to get started, but once they are running I haven't had issues. When I use it in my tacoma I just make sure I keep adequate ventilation by cracking the the side and back windows.

Last edited:

eldeuce

Lil-Rokslider
More than 2 trips at 9000-9500
Never even a hiccup
I would say if you have a larger tent, I'd pass on the small heater and get the bigger one. I wish I would have