Anyone tried peanut oil in your chainsaw?

I believe I remember ole Cal Callahan noting he put peanut oil in his Stihl lithium battery powered chainsaw for the purpose of using it to process game. For example, one could take the knuckles/legs off pretty easy. He also used it to zip the ribs out and haul out whole slabs of ribs, with bones.

I recently bought the little feller Stihl, has a 4" bar, tiny bugger. For light use around camp to keep a Seek Outside stove fed. Considering using peanut oil so I can use it on animals, too. Anyone actually done it over a longer period of time? Any downsides?

ETA: corrected bar length to 4"

Last edited:

jhm2023

WKR
I've known people that used vegetable oil in their saws when cutting ice on lakes and such so they don't get bar oil in the lake. Not sure of the long term effects though.

When it comes to taking apart animals, I just work the joints with a knife to take them apart and avoid cutting bones. When I'm in a hurry though, I like using a good set of compound loppers to cut ribs and lower leg bones on caribou sized game and smaller.

OP
Dos Perros
My cooler will maaaaybe just maybe fit a whole rear elk quarter, double diagonal. I've been knocking off the knuckles with an axe, figured the saw would give a cleaner edge.

I've definitely seen a Sawzall work but I don't want to haul one just for that purpose of cutting bones. But maybe a Sawzall would do the 3"-4" diameter pine logs just fine too?

fatbacks

WKR
I just got a battery powered dewalt chainsaw with a 12" bar for the same reason... I am feeding it avocado oil right now with the intent of keeping some food safe oil in there. We'll see if it holds up in the long term.

WCB

WKR
I,ve run vegetable oil through a couple of my chainsaws with zero issue. Not sure on running it all day but I have used it doing general trimming, dropping a tree or two and bucking them with no problems.

RCL

WKR
12volt sawzall with a couple of appropriate blades should work fine.
Have cut small cedars and elm with no problem, but it is slower than chainsaw.

Tree " loppers " are the bomb for cutting em off by the knee. Great leverage. Lots of guy use vegetable oil in saws cutting through ice for spear holes around here

I can see no problem using any kind of vegetable oil. The bar oil has no effect on the saw. The worst that could happen is reduced chain and/or bar life. Both the chain and bar wear out no matter what kind of oil is used.
That was my thought.

Plus, a saw dedicated to food safe and light stuff presumably won't put a ton of use on the saw. So the possibility of slightly increased wear on consumables is even further negated.

JBrown1

Lil-Rokslider
One of the famous log home builders(John Chambers?) mentioned in his book that he uses vegetable oil in his saw instead of bar oil. He does this because the vegetable oil doesn't stain the logs as much as bar oil.

Anyway, its not like he is felling trees, filling the chain with dirt and grime, or any of the things that saws can be put through, but there is no doubt that his saw gets a lot hours of light and medium duty use. He notes that there has been no excessive wear with vegetable oil.

So, I'd say that you will be more than safe using vegetable oil for your application.

I got an electric stihl about 2 years ago, I have only used vegetable oil in it. Supposedly it's better on trees if you are pruning limbs, I know it doesn't smell up the cab as bad.

Actually haven't had problems with it leaking either, like my other stihls. Don't know if that's because of the saw or the difference in the oil.

I just got a battery powered dewalt chainsaw with a 12" bar for the same reason... I am feeding it avocado oil right now with the intent of keeping some food safe oil in there. We'll see if it holds up in the long term.
I’ve been running the exact same rig and oil for a few years. No issues. Just some minor leaking when I leave it full and unused for a while but it’s not intended to be a sealed system.