Anyone tried carnivore?

SANDAN

FNG
I am new here and trying to increase my post count but genuinely curious about this. I'm a fairly muscular build, (6'2", 220lb) and would like to lose a few pounds. I have heard carnivore makes you crap a lot at first. I eat a ton of protein (150-160g per day), would it have the same effect on me? Is it good to lose weight?

*zap*

WKR
150g of protein for a 220# man may not be a ton of protein...depends on your endurance/strength training.

SANDAN

FNG
150g of protein for a 220# man may not be a ton of protein...depends on your endurance/strength training.

Agreed but it is way more than most people and im 39 and have lifted since high school (except college for partying...) and I feel my body responds really well to protein. I can maintain muscle really easily.

trailblazer75

Lil-Rokslider
I've got a friend I went to school with who was like 260 in school and about 6 ft tall. He was an eat it all, borderline diabetic taking pills on pills.

He went carnivore and looks like he's been body building. Its insane. And this dude is NOT a body builder. Lol. So I've always been curious about it, after listening to some podcasts and paying attention to a couple carnivor accounts on instagram. Hard to argue that at the very least it show aesthetic results.

I think I'll try it.

bdan68

WKR
I am new here and trying to increase my post count but genuinely curious about this. I'm a fairly muscular build, (6'2", 220lb) and would like to lose a few pounds. I have heard carnivore makes you crap a lot at first. I eat a ton of protein (150-160g per day), would it have the same effect on me? Is it good to lose weight?
No that's not true at all. Carnivore is great for your body readjusting to whatever your proper weight should be, so if you have excess body fat, on a carnivore diet you'll likely lose much of that fat. People who may be under nourished, just might gain weight by going to a carnivore diet, but in a good way, meaning more muscle, higher bone density, etc.

SANDAN

FNG
No that's not true at all. Carnivore is great for your body readjusting to whatever your proper weight should be, so if you have excess body fat, on a carnivore diet you'll likely lose much of that fat. People who may be under nourished, just might gain weight by going to a carnivore diet, but in a good way, meaning more muscle, higher bone density, etc.

I may need to give it a shot. I've done keto before but that is difficult.

Patriot2

Lil-Rokslider
From my understanding the contribution to blood cholesterol from your food intake is essentially nil. The eaten fats are broken down before getting in the blood so there is little to no direct correlation between intake of fats and cholesterol. Another commonly held myth bites the dust.
I agree with what others have found - low carb high protein and high fat diet with intermittent fasting is awesome! I never hit a wall - ever, including a 3 week backpacking elk hunt at tree line last September. I do think it takes at least 3 weeks for the gut biome to adjust so you need 30 days to get your body stable. My wife and I felt a little nausea towards the end of 2 weeks as our but biome was adjusting (some sugar eating bacteria being replaced with protein and fat digesting bacteria I assume). We will never go back. All our blood work looks good as well. Sugar and starchy foods are the devil............

Elite

WKR
Would also suggest at least doing 3 to 4 weeks. It may take up to one week alone to enter ketosis. I didn’t really feel like I “stabilized” through all the transitions in my body until week 3.
I have been on and off this diest before in the past. I always end up feeling great and do not crave carbs and junk any more but I always seem to miss fruit and vegetables. Any advice for the fruit and veggie part? Most are high in carbs

Elite

WKR
I honestly found the opposite with the diet

P Carter

WKR
for millions of years people have maintained health and healthy weight by eating the foods that were available and keeping moving....
Not to totally derail the thread, but I don’t think Homo sapiens have even been a species for millions of years.

I think the species spread across the entire earth and adapted to new environments tens of thousand of years ago. So the point as to nutrition stands but on a very different timeframe…

Definitely a fad diet,not that it won’t help some if they need it for medical reasons,or help some loose weight temporarily,some will even do good on it for awhile but for the majority of the population it is not sustainable.
Better to be disciplined in your overall diet,i love meat and fat so i can do great for awhile but I actually feel way better on a low fat higher carb plan with white rice,potatoes and fruit.
I get leaner on carbs as well because i can eat more and feel fuller.

*zap*

WKR
People could go with good rice/chicken and broccoli for 75% of the food for 1 month and see what happens....the other 25% needs to be natural food.

I hear folks say 'I did this (insert diet name) and it made me feel great....what they do not say is that they were eating all garbage before they did that diet..

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
Definitely a fad diet,not that it won’t help some if they need it for medical reasons,or help some loose weight temporarily,some will even do good on it for awhile but for the majority of the population it is not sustainable.
Better to be disciplined in your overall diet,i love meat and fat so i can do great for awhile but I actually feel way better on a low fat higher carb plan with white rice,potatoes and fruit.
I get leaner on carbs as well because i can eat more and feel fuller.
Has it become a fad? Yes. But that doesn’t mean it doesn’t work, or isn’t sustainable, or is somehow a new experiment.

It’s funny, the group I find that generally doesn’t think carnivores is weird is older AK natives. Because by and large, animal products were the overwhelming majority of the food available here since basically forever.
It’s amusing to hear that something that so closely approximates the local ancestral diet is somehow bizarre.

I like some fruits and vegetables, but it doesn’t bother me to not have them for months on end, and then only a little. Not that long ago, that period would be known as “winter.”

JDBAK

Lil-Rokslider
None of the above is a blanket recommendation BTW. I don’t think carnivore is necessary for most folks. But it can work well, when nothing else seems to work, for extended periods, for some people.

bdan68

WKR
I've been carnivore for two years now. No issues. It's certainly sustainable. I don't miss vegetables at all. Never really liked vegetables anyway, only ate vegetables because "they" tell us we need to in order to be healthy. As soon as I discovered that vegetables are absolutely not necessary, I eliminated them completely. Love my steak and eggs every day. 👍

Elite

WKR
I've been carnivore for two years now. No issues. It's certainly sustainable. I don't miss vegetables at all. Never really liked vegetables anyway, only ate vegetables because "they" tell us we need to in order to be healthy. As soon as I discovered that vegetables are absolutely not necessary, I eliminated them completely. Love my steak and eggs every day. 👍
What other meals do you eat? Or is it just steak and eggs?

bdan68

WKR
What other meals do you eat? Or is it just steak and eggs?
I like to have salmon a few times per week, more often than not it's just canned salmon because it's affordable. We recently bought a pig from a local farmer that was fed all organic, real food. It's very tasty. I do eat bacon occasionally from the grocery store whenever I can get it for a decent price. Lots of ground deer meat in the freezer too so we have that fairly often. Chicken legs and/or thighs but only rarely because the commercially raised chickens are fed a crap diet. We go through lots of eggs which are all bought locally from people with backyard chickens. I go through a fair amount of heavy cream which I add to my coffee. Oh, almost forgot, usually a few cans of sardines per week. That's about all I can think of. I'm down 60 pounds from what I was before I started this way of eating. And all the aches and pains I had are all gone. 55 years old and feel better than I did when I was 35.