Anyone still use the TSX?

I made the switch to copper this year, and have been working up loads with 120 and 140 - grain TTSX's from my two 7mm-08's. When I ran out of 120's (that I use for my eastern whitetail rifle) I asked myself, why not try regular TSX's, since I never expect to shoot more than 250-300 max with that gun. So I bought a box of 120 TSX's. I figure it will also help me keep my 7mm-08 ammo separate, with the blue-tipped 140 TTSX's for my Tikka, and my hollow point 120 TSX's for my Howa.

At the range, they are essentially the same bullet. Almost identical POI's out to 300 yards - the limit of my club range - and that's good enough for me.

Sunday the 120 TSX's took down two whitetail does very cleanly. One in it's tracks and the other after a 40-yard run and dive. I was pleased with the performance and how little bloodshot meat I had to deal with afterward.

I think I'll keep running the 120 TSX's from my whitetail gun. I don't see any reason to load TTSX's in it anymore. I'll save the blue tips for the Tikka.

16Bore

WKR
Had a pile of 6.5 blue tips snap off, one I noticed when I unchambered a round. That’d been a big kaboom had I pulled the trigger.

Little nerve racking...

SDHNTR

WKR
I think the TTSX is a worthy upgrade over the TSX. It just expands better. Seen too many TSX just zip thru with a lung shot.

I shoot the factory load 7RM 160 grain Barnes ammunition. It is only load with TSX and has performed great on Whitetails. I shoot the TTSX in my 223, 260, 308 and 300WM. The TSX is accurate as well as the TTSX.

I think they’re both great bullets and I pretty much use them both in almost all my rifles interchangeably. I do tend to favor the TTSX because they just seem to group a little tighter, but they both have worked equally well on game, as far as I can tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tod osier

WKR
I made the switch to copper this year, and have been working up loads with 120 and 140 - grain TTSX's from my two 7mm-08's. When I ran out of 120's (that I use for my eastern whitetail rifle) I asked myself, why not try regular TSX's, since I never expect to shoot more than 250-300 max with that gun. So I bought a box of 120 TSX's. I figure it will also help me keep my 7mm-08 ammo separate, with the blue-tipped 140 TTSX's for my Tikka, and my hollow point 120 TSX's for my Howa.

At the range, they are essentially the same bullet. Almost identical POI's out to 300 yards - the limit of my club range - and that's good enough for me.

Sunday the 120 TSX's took down two whitetail does very cleanly. One in it's tracks and the other after a 40-yard run and dive. I was pleased with the performance and how little bloodshot meat I had to deal with afterward.

I think I'll keep running the 120 TSX's from my whitetail gun. I don't see any reason to load TTSX's in it anymore. I'll save the blue tips for the Tikka.

I used to shoot that same bullet in a 7mm-08 and shot quite a few deer with it. Shots from a couple to 200 yards. Worked very well, I’d say excellent performance.

OP
Newtosavage
I think the TTSX is a worthy upgrade over the TSX. It just expands better. Seen too many TSX just zip thru with a lung shot.
I was a bit concerned about this, but on the two does I took on Sunday (one at 135 yds and the other at 205), the 120 TSX's performed perfectly. Ideal expansion and very little bloodshot meat from what I could tell. Exit holes were both right at quarter size without a lot of damage around the area. I hit shoulders going out on both deer, and I was able to salvage more meat from those shoulders than I would have from an SST or NBT.

Last year, my doe culling rifle was my 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini, and I was shocked that all four deer I shot with that rifle saw very poor expansion. 130 Gamechangers and 120 Gold Dots all penciled through with a tiny exit hole and zero blood trails. I had to look for one doe for nearly an hour because there was no blood at all. All I could conclude was that those bullets were too hard for the lower velocities. So I went back to the 7mm-08 and these TSX's for this year. Glad I did.

pods8 (Rugged Stitching)

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
I was a bit concerned about this, but on the two does I took on Sunday (one at 135 yds and the other at 205), the 120 TSX's performed perfectly. Ideal expansion and very little bloodshot meat from what I could tell. Exit holes were both right at quarter size without a lot of damage around the area. I hit shoulders going out on both deer, and I was able to salvage more meat from those shoulders than I would have from an SST or NBT.

Right but that goes for pretty much all the mono's whether tipped or not, its one of the perks to me on them. :)

I haven't used TSX, the TTSX and LRX fit in my mags and I've just liked the idea of the polymer tip helping initiate expansion when selecting them. That said I'm using the hammer hunter in another gun which doesn't have a tip so thats some internal mental hypocrisy, lol. Sadly haven't had a successful chance on seeing their performance on game yet (they shoot damn well though), maybe next weekend...

Ens Entium

Lil-Rokslider
If you look at the data provided by Barnes the tipped versions (TTSX/LRX) have lower expansion velocity as SDHNTR mentioned. I would go with the tipped whenever possible to have that extra confidence at range. I don't think you'll see a difference up close.

SDHNTR

WKR

Last year, my doe culling rifle was my 6.5 Grendel Howa Mini, and I was shocked that all four deer I shot with that rifle saw very poor expansion. 130 Gamechangers and 120 Gold Dots all penciled through with a tiny exit hole and zero blood trails. I had to look for one doe for nearly an hour because there was no blood at all. All I could conclude was that those bullets were too hard for the lower velocities. So I went back to the 7mm-08 and these TSX's for this year. Glad I did.

you said it yourself... you hit shoulders. That’s why you had good expansion. Zip one thru the ribs at 200 yards and you’ll see different results. In my experience with the TSX, you need to hit some real bone to make em open up.

OP
Newtosavage
you said it yourself... you hit shoulders. That’s why you had good expansion. Zip one thru the ribs at 200 yards and you’ll see different results. In my experience with the TSX, you need to hit some real bone to make em open up.
LOL. Okay man. You had bad experiences. Sorry about that. Not everyone has.

Third trip to the range since I've worked up my loads, and the TSX is out-shooting the TTSX from my Howa. Looks like I'll be using 120 TSX's from my Howa and 140 TTSX's from my Tikka. I like that, since it will help me keep the ammo separate. The Tikka is my western gun and the Howa is my eastern gun, so I was hoping things would work out this way.

Bsnyder

WKR
I have one rifle that will only shoot the tsx everything else shoots the ttsx or lrx I too have had a hard time with the tsx out of a 270 wsm pushed hot, not expand as well as the ttsx one was on an antelope at 475 and the other a whitetail at 380. Hit shoulder they are great hit light bone or no bone not so good for me but every rifle and every person likes different things. That rifle still shoot the tsx and killed 6 animals this year from 240 to 650 yards but they were direct shoulder shots and all were drt. Shoot what works and what you are confident in. Happy hunting

16Bore

WKR
You gotta shoot them fast or really fast. If you like 150 cup & core, then drop back to 130 monos. 180’s then 168’s and so on.

I put a 120 TSX through a deer once and found 2 drops of blood. Found it in the dark, not far from where it was shot. Heart blown to pieces and a large chunk had corked the exit.

I think the zapper of them all is 110’s in a 270 going 3,400. Should be able to get 130’s to 3,200 easy.

But 270’s and 30-06’s are for old fuddy duddies. 🙄