Anyone shot a Berger into a front shoulder and still get good performance?

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
WapitiBob brought this issue up on the 7 vs. 300 thread.

I tested the Berger in my 7 Mag and got
GREAT accuracy, but haven't started hunting big deer with them as I'm worried about shot placement and less than ideal "behind-the-shoulder"

Big deer don't wait and sometimes I have to just shoot! Plus if other hunters are around I'll sacrifice some meat on the front shoulder and just try and break it.

Last edited:

Big Sky

Lil-Rokslider
I shot my buck with the 168's out of my 7mm straight in the chest last year and found the bullet between the hind quarter and the hide.

Matt Cashell

Administrator
Staff member
I shot a bull in the shoulder with a 185 VLD-H out of a 300 RUM and the performance couldn't have been better.

Ryan Avery

Admin
Staff member
I have shot a few elk in the shoulder with 210 vld's out of a 300 RUM with no problems. I loaded up some 230 otm's last year and shot a deer in the ass at 450 yards(not on purpose). The bullet went all the way to the chest after blowing a hole in the hip socket. My friends wife used my RUM and shot a cow at 80 yards quartering away with the 230's and that elk was DRT. Bergers are nasty on game at any range!

photo.jpg
"]
photo1-1.jpg

I shot my deer this year with a 7mm 168 gr berger at 352 yards. The deer was facing towards me downhill a little to the right. Shot him in the chest and the bullet exited right out the anus of the deer. The deer took one hop and rolled over.

muleyman

Lil-Rokslider
I killed my buck last year in Colorado with 175 gr VLD H out of my .300 RUM, he was 554 yards broadside. The bullet entered the front right shoulder forward toward the neck and exited the opposite shoulder in the same place. The buck never even twitched! The damage that bullet did to the vital organs was impressive, everything was jelly!

Segan

FNG
DSCN1216.jpgRobbyDSCN1202.jpg, I shoot a 7RUM 180 gn. Berger I've killed 4 bucks with this setup all between 406 yards to 588 yards since 2007 3 deer dropped dead in there tracks and 4th deer went about 20 yards and tipped over. The one that took a few steps was hit behind the front shoulders. This is the buck if you look close there is a aspen leave thats got blood on it at the entrance hole. The next photo is the exit wound. These bullets have treated me well. Hope this helps.

OP
robby denning

robby denning

Administrator
Staff member
Wow, I guess any worries about terminal performance are pretty useless. This is a great thread now that you guys chimed in.

Now I gotta pony up the molaah for a box of these!

Segan, another great buck! What was the yardage on him?

Glad you learned how to post full-size pics.

Segan

FNG
Thanks and I'm still learning how and when to post Im not usally one to share my photos on sites but you guys are rockin I really like this site good job to you guys I appreciate the topics and feed back from all members.

This buck I killed at 588 yards 2 years ago in wyoming. Did you notice the aspen to the left of the buck up about 2 feet in the second photo?