Anyone seeing bears in NW Montana???

Strider

Lil-Rokslider
Hello all just curious if anyone else has been seeing or had any luck on bears this spring? I have been seeing a couple little guys but not much else. Just curious. Good luck out there!

We are headed in on Tuesday. Talked to a buddy 2 weeks ago. He said he cut a couple tracks but did not see anything. Said there was still some snow pack up where we are going to camp. Hopefully that has melted. This winter is sure hanging on here though

I was out last weekend and didn't see much. Just a couple piles of fresh scat. There's still a fair amount of snow above 4500' in the shade and north facing aspects. Logging roads and south facing slopes are starting to green up though. Heading out again this Saturday and hoping to find some more green and less snow, and a bear or two.

TreeDog

FNG
Saw the first one yesterday evening. Couldn't turn it up today. Coworker saw a sow and cub last week and I've been seeing some scat at work, though its probably from the same bears. Just starting to green up above 4500' from what I've been seeing.

MTguy0341

Lil-Rokslider
Seen one last Saturday. Been a slow spring for bears for myself. But the green is looking pretty good up to 4500' from the places I've been

It's a slow start this year as far as sightings go. Last weekend I rode in several miles on my mountain bike and didn't see any scat or bears. There was still plenty of snow too. Normally I would've seen plenty of sign by now.
Went out last night (Friday) and had to walk several miles due to the snow. I did spot a sow and cub at around 6:00.

All at around 4200'.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Just got back from NW and wish we’d have gone a week later. Ended up with a buddy putting a 150lb boar in the salt. They missed two other bigger bears due to a bad wind judgement and another rifle being 2.5 minutes off on windage. Saw very little sign but turned up all three bears at 4400’ just below the snow line. Green grass and yellow flowers were the common denominator and two of them were in the vicinity of active logging operations.

Wildatheart

Lil-Rokslider
Hunting out of Missoula, saw 16 bears in 7 days. Very large bears to small bears. I killed a younger bear, didn’t know how to judge them never have seen them in my optics before. But now I do! Bears are out and on the move! Sweet spot is 4800-5600 elevation... look for new green up & flowers.