Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

15 mile commute every day of the week and you somehow save 600? I don't see how your gas bill would be half of that.

You must be rockin that prius far more places than the ole work commute.
Math is hard for some people. I drive a 2500 and spend 600$ a month on fuel. Average 300ish miles a week. If I get a new pickup, the most I would save is roughly 300$ but most likely closer to 250$ a month. Overall, after insurance and extra maintenance of another vehicle, that number gets cut down closer to 150-200$ a month. Depending on purchase price of the beater, it could be a couple years to break even with the amount of miles I typically drive.

I was thinking the same thing, I average ~100 miles a day in a 1500 and don’t spend $600 a month in gas
We are talking about a 2500…not a 1500.
My 1500 was getting average 15-20mpg but not a new one. The newer models are significantly more efficient as are the diesels.

the best I ever got in my 2500 was 14mpg and that was a happy day for me. That dodge long bed loved gas.

Downgrading to a 1500 for heavy lifting and the Prius for everything else was a happy time for me.

Of course now I live in a location where none of it matters. Just ride a 4 wheeler when it’s above -5 and the snowmachine when I need to get out of town. Other than that, I walk everywhere now.

Can’t wait for summer.

Math is hard for some people. I drive a 2500 and spend 600$ a month on fuel. Average 300ish miles a week. If I get a new pickup, the most I would save is roughly 300$ but most likely closer to 250$ a month. Overall, after insurance and extra maintenance of another vehicle, that number gets cut down closer to 150-200$ a month. Depending on purchase price of the beater, it could be a couple years to break even with the amount of miles I typically drive.
let’s use your example.
300x4 is 1200 miles.
1200/10mpg is 120 gallons
120gallonsx$5 is $600 in gas

1200/50 is 24
24x$5 is $120
So your mileage with my situation would be…

I used 50mpg instead of 60. Our mpg for work was 60 mpg and running errands etc averaged out to 55mpg.

I had to change my driving habits and sure. We can say I rounded up. But I saved a shit load of money.

I’m a nerd and tracked the shit out of that data and adjusted driving behaviors when i needed to.

lhough89

FNG
I would like to get a new truck and considering going from my F250 Powerstroke to a GMC 1500. I got the F250 to pull a large toy hauler that we sold a couple years ago. After going a few years now without the trailer we dont really think we want another, or at least not such a large one.

The thing I love about my F250 though is the space and the diesel power. I often have it completely loaded up for hunting trips. I love how much power it has but it really is not needed. The 1500 really isnt that much smaller as the width is the same, the bed is 3" shorter I think.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Did you regret it?
I think so long as you don't get another toy hauler or something else larger to tow, you'll be happy with the 1500. I've had two F150s, both with crew cabs and 6.5 beds. They're about the same size my buddies' Ram 2500 and F250. Having a smaller and lighter truck will make it easier to get around the smaller twisty forest roads. I have a Ram 1500 now because I wanted a very simple V8 that I could get work done on about anywhere and they're about $8k cheaper than an F150. But I do like that the F150 is lighter, makes for a little better ride when you're crawling through some really rocky/beat up roads. I don't really know anything about GMCs, but I'd suspect they're comparable to similar sized trucks. I've never had a diesel because I don't have the need, but I have buddies that have made the switch due to additional maintenance and things you have to do with a diesel engine.

Anyways, sorry for the ramble, but I think you'll be happier in 1500 if you're just using it for hunting access and not towing/hauling a heavy load. I'd get a Tacoma if I could muster that small of a rig but they feel like a golf cart to me.

Article 4

WKR
Have a 23 Silverado ZR2 with the 6.2 which is a pretty bad ass truck but I miss my 2020 RAM 2500 diesel in every single way, except driving in parking lots and parking.

Article 4

WKR
I'm in serious debate between the 6.2l vs. 3.0l diesel. That 6.2 is peppy
This is my first Chevy - the first 22 Silv ZR2 with a 6.2 I had blew the engine at 6500 miles doing 45 MPH. Waited a month for a replacement 23 and had to pay a 1500 dollar upcharge for the new truck. This one just turned 10k and so far so good.
Will say though, the raptor is better in every way, shape and form.

I have a ram 2500 right now but seriously considering going to a 1500. I test drove both the 6.2 and 3.0 in a GMC. My pops has had a '23 6.2 for a couple years and it's been 34,000 trouble free, but his avg. Is only 15 mpg. The 3.0l seems nice but has its own downfalls. Decisions

The "ish" part is price of fuel. It has been anywhere from $3"ish" to $5 "ish" Same with actual mileage driven, it can vary +/- 20%. Averages are as spoken tho.
Excellent. So my math works and using 50 is less than 57 that the onboard computer says but i rounded up to 60. Rounded down for you. The 10mpg was what the onboard computer said. As well. There are always variables at play but unless you are in Hawaii or California or Alaska your gas prices would be lower than mine. $600 saving is also rounded up. Probably more like $560ish. I don’t care about maintience. That’s a wash IMO but the Prius was every 10k miles for oil change. Tires were also way less. But to each their own. Not worth trying to prove.

TheWhitetailNut

Lil-Rokslider
I drove a 2002 F-250 w/ the lauded 7.3 PSD. Replaced it in 2015 with an ecoboost F-150. With loads up to 12k the F-150 was superior in every way....Even stopping. I loved the 7.3 so much, and forgot it so fast.

In 2018 we bought a very large travel trailer and a 17.5K Big Tex dump trailer for a large project. The F-150 was plenty with a weight distributing hitch for the TT, but no way was I going to use it for the Dump trailer. I got the 6.7 PSD Superduty, and good thing too because one day at the quarry the loader pushed it over 20,000# and I crawled up and out of that pit ok.

If you Don't pull 10-12k regularly, there's no reason to own a heavy duty truck.

I have 2019 F250. I do haul stuff occasionally but I’m not hooked up to a trailer every single day like a few guys I know. I bought it mainly for longevity reasons. I had it deleted last year and am getting 25-28 mpg with it on average. I love it. I had considered doing what you’re talking about in the past but decided to stick with it and I’m glad I did. There isn’t a better truck made on the market than that generation 6.7 (IMO) but I’m bias of course.
Do you only drive downhill?

Backcountry_Preacher

Lil-Rokslider
Classified Approved
Do you only drive downhill?
No. Where I live is very flat and I live way out in the country. So the majority of my driving is me going 55 mph. Also, I still have the tires that came stock on it, the Michelin ATX 2. Not any oversized ones. And my truck isn’t leveled, it’s still got that old man lean where it’s lower in the front. I drive like an old man. That lower side of 25-28 mpg is me giving a very conservative number too.

No. Where I live is very flat and I live way out in the country. So the majority of my driving is me going 55 mph. Also, I still have the tires that came stock on it, the Michelin ATX 2. Not any oversized ones. And my truck isn’t leveled, it’s still got that old man lean where it’s lower in the front. I drive like an old man. That lower side of 25-28 mpg is me giving a very conservative number too.
It's a delusional number.

I'm on stock tires and height at 15-16 mpg. From one of the best tuners in the businesses.