Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

Elite7

FNG
I’m going back to a half ton next time around. Sold out camper so don’t won’t be pulling anything over a half ton tow capacity.

We still have gravel roads here. The half ton is a smooth ride and is much more enjoyable.

traildust

WKR
I would like to get a new truck and considering going from my F250 Powerstroke to a GMC 1500. I got the F250 to pull a large toy hauler that we sold a couple years ago. After going a few years now without the trailer we dont really think we want another, or at least not such a large one.

The thing I love about my F250 though is the space and the diesel power. I often have it completely loaded up for hunting trips. I love how much power it has but it really is not needed. The 1500 really isnt that much smaller as the width is the same, the bed is 3" shorter I think.

Has anyone made a similar switch? Did you regret it?
You gotta do it once to fully understand what a huge mistake you made!

Tater86

Lil-Rokslider
Surprised no one mentioned payload and tongue weight. Yes ,you can pull 10-12k with a 150/1500 model, but your payload is minimal. My Ram 1500 payload was 1800 pounds and once you put hunting gear and people in the truck, you were left with less than a 1000 pounds of payload left, which drops your towing capability below 10k.

Cheesy

FNG
I don't think I'll ever be without a 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Not saying I won't have a 1/2 ton, but will always have a heavier truck around. Currently have a 2006 6.OH-NO with 200k miles (bought with 40k on it) thats been awesome and I still drive it on out of state hunting trips. Also have a 2020 Tundra I bought new, now with 70k miles. There is no comparison between the two for doing 'truck' stuff, the F-250 just does it all better. I don't use it often for trailer pulling, but it sure is nice to have it and not have to go borrow from somebody to move a skid steer or tractor or mini-ex.

I went from a 1 ton to a half ton and regretted it. Now back to a 1 ton.

If you aren’t towing anything heavy then no need for a 3/4 or 1 ton. By heavy I mean over 7,500 lbs. I know these half tons are rated to tow 10-12k but it’s not safe to tow that much with one.

My dad towed his 29 ft TT that weighed 7900lbs back and forth to the beach a few times with an F150 eco boost. It did well, until he had to pull it in 30-40 mph cross winds. It pushed him all over the road, his MPG was less than 6mpg. He was white knuckling for 5 straight hours. I was towing a 12k 5th wheel with a F350 and barely noticed anything and got 12 mpg. Dad literally traded his truck at the beach for an F350 before he drove back home.

2five7

WKR
Surprised no one mentioned payload and tongue weight. Yes ,you can pull 10-12k with a 150/1500 model, but your payload is minimal. My Ram 1500 payload was 1800 pounds and once you put hunting gear and people in the truck, you were left with less than a 1000 pounds of payload left, which drops your towing capability below 10k.
Quite a few 250/2500 diesel pickups with that type of payload, or even less due the heavy diesel engine.

98XJRC

Lil-Rokslider
Quite a few 250/2500 diesel pickups with that type of payload, or even less due the heavy diesel engine.

Unfortunately this is true particularly in the 3/4 ton series. My 17 2500 Cummins has a payload of 2200. Truck is rated to pull 17k, but your not touching it and staying under the payload number. I've thought about adding air bags to help the rear coil springs, but I don't tow heavy enough to justify it.

As to the original poster. Do what's best for you, however I don't see myself going to a smaller truck. With that said I'd recommend a gasser in the 3/4 for the additional payload. I give up a lot with the diesel in the 3/4.

Consider an F250 with the 7.3 gas. I picked one up a year ago to tow a 5th wheel. I opted for gas because I don’t tow it enough to justify the upfront and ongoing cost of a diesel. It pulls the trailer up 6-7% grade at 70mph, with enough throttle to go 80+. Not that I’d go that dast pulling, but it can. And no, it doesn’t redline it. The only thing that slows it going up hill is traffic.

With all that said, it does not get good mileage, and you shouldn’t expect it to being a big truck. The only complaint I have is the size of the gas tank. Its too small. My F150 had a bigger one.

svivian

WKR
living in the mountains and driving over passes while towing, no way I would go back to a 1500/150 size truck. If I didn't tow then I would.

Fatcamp

WKR

Truth. 1800# is high for a 1500 series truck I would think. My F250 is 3000#, and about as much as you can get I think.

Fatcamp

WKR
I sort of split the difference. I have 2022 Gas 7.3 F250 with the Tremor pack. Did a 3 inch Carli lift/king shocks with slightly softer Deaver rear springs. Rides much better than stock and the 7.3 with the 4.30 gearing in the tremor is still perfect with 37s. Went to this from a raptor as I wanted off road capabilities and to still be able to haul more hunting gear and not ‘bro out’ and high beam everyone with just 5/600 pounds in the bed. Next add is the 58 gallon tank they just released for the gas superduty trucks to be able to stay in the woods longer.

My F250 has a 48 gallon tank. It is painful if I let it get low. Some how less so if I keep it topped off. 😁

I'm going the other direction, selling the GMC 1500 and jumping to the 3500. Truck camper in the plans, plus we tow a few machines.

The best thing for me about an F250 Diesel is the engine brake…

Had an F150 with bigger eco boost. Really liked the truck…until I started towing even remotely heavy items. Fuel economy dropped instantly. And even before that, it wasn’t much better than the Powerstroke.

The best thing for me about an F250 Diesel is the engine brake…

Had an F150 with bigger eco boost. Really liked the truck…until I started towing even remotely heavy items. Fuel economy dropped instantly. And even before that, it wasn’t much better than the Powerstroke.
I have the F150 3.5 Eco and there is very little engine braking with just a few lbs in the bed and a canopy.
With a trailer, there would be virtually nil.

I have the F150 3.5 Eco and there is very little engine braking with just a few lbs in the bed and a canopy.
With a trailer, there would be virtually nil.
Yea. Night and day difference between it and the diesel engine brake. Even with a full trailer I hardly have to use my brakes, even going down very long steep hills. One of my favorite things about that truck. And the power sure is nice going back up those hills 😏.