Anyone regret going from 3500/2500 series to a 1500 series?

2five7

WKR
Modern half tons, properly equipped, are far more capable than the 3/4 tons of yesterday year. Think back to 1997 ish, no one thought twice about pulling 10k+ with an F250 power stroke. Today's F150s have stronger frames, bigger brakes, and more HP and torque than that older diesel.

Brooks

WKR
My buddy went from a 3/4 ton Dodge with a diesel to a 3/4 ton Ford F250 gas truck. He pulls horses around the state, in the mountains. After a year with the gas truck, it had so much less power when loaded he sold it and bought a new Dodge 3/4 ton Cummins. There was no comparison between the two when it came to hauling heavy loads. As far as room the gas truck had plenty, just not the power the diesel has.

Wrench

WKR
I bought a 5500 4x4 to tow my stuff. I still have two 3/4 ton diesels and have towed with a half ton to Alaska and back......but I must say that after the braking and stability of the 5500, I will only tow with less in a pinch.

I had a near miss last year in Western Washington coming down a steep grade and someone wiped out. I could not get stopped in my ford and was lucky to be able to steer through it.

My 5500 with my trailer stops as well as my 2nd gen cummins does empty. It's unbelievable.

Keener22

Lil-Rokslider
I think something that’s really important for towing with a 1/2 ton that people forget is the tow package equipment and just how you drive.

I have a 21 F150 3.5 with the trailer tow. It’s rated for 11.6k lbs. The tow packages comes with the backup assist and a controller for the trailer brakes. If you properly adjust the controller, put your transmission in tow mode so you get the right gears and engine compression, and then drive sensibly- it will stop what it can pull even in the mountains.

Edit: I’ll also add that my brother drives a 250 on Bilstein’s, and that thing is the worst off-roading experience I’ve been apart of. Unless you really need the tow capacity often, they just aren’t worth it

Sure, HD trucks have better brakes and dont get pushed around by heavier trailers like a half ton. If the OP isn't pulling a trailer, does he really benefit from 3" of bed space in exchange for worse mileage, worse ride, worse parking in town, and more cost? Only benefit I could see is the option of a 8' box, which sucks when you're not using it.

What do you guys haul (not tow) frequently on a non-commercial basis that a 1/2 ton isn't sufficient for?

I don't see where there is room for disappointment unless another trailer (even if it's not as big) is bought.

h2so4

WKR
@MuleyFever if you go with a gas GMC/ Chevy, make sure to get the 6.2L. I've had a number of friends get the 5.3L and hate it. One went from a 6.2L to a new 5.3L and after 4 months they are going to try and trade it in to get a 6.2L.

On the other hand, I love my F150 Powerboost. It's awesome for camping& outdoors stuff with the family. The power outlets in the bed will run just about anything you could want.

There are a lot of blanket statements in here...
If you have lifted your truck, you have effectively raised the center of gravity, including the hitch point, which makes your trailer more dominant in the relationship.

Also, your wheelbase will effect stability...Longer wheelbase resists sidewinds and sway more effectively than a SWB tow vehicle.

Sure, HD trucks have better brakes and dont get pushed around by heavier trailers like a half ton. If the OP isn't pulling a trailer, does he really benefit from 3" of bed space in exchange for worse mileage, worse ride, worse parking in town, and more cost? Only benefit I could see is the option of a 8' box, which sucks when you're not using it.

What do you guys haul (not tow) frequently on a non-commercial basis that a 1/2 ton isn't sufficient for?

I don't see where there is room for disappointment unless another trailer (even if it's not as big) is bought.
I can park my F250 in places in town that I've watched people in small SUVs not be able to fit in.

I've put 2 cubes of brick in the bed...

Generally heavy stuff goes on the trailer thought.

Fatcamp

WKR

If I didn't pull boats and campers I wouldn't have a Superduty. But I do and probably always will.

I can park my F250 in places in town that I've watched people in small SUVs not be able to fit in.

I dont get it. how/why?

Even a chevy suburban is notably more convenient to park than an F150 due to a way better turning radius. Maybe it's more of a crew cab + long box thing but every 3/4 or 1 ton ive parked was worse than the half-tons i've always had.

I dont get it. how/why?

Even a chevy suburban is notably more convenient to park than an F150 due to a way better turning radius. Maybe it's more of a crew cab + long box thing but every 3/4 or 1 ton ive parked was worse than the half-tons i've always had.
Probably partially because the average person is a lousy driver.

I'm also not afraid to make a 4 point turn to get the angle I need.

I've driven 4 door short bed F250s with big bumpers on the front most of my life, they do what I need well, I've just learned to fit them the places I need to fit them.

I just bought a '23 F-250 gas to tow my center console boat. My current Tundra can tow it, but it's near its max tow capacity and I don't feel very safe with that. The 250 should give me a better (safer) towing experience. I still don't know if I'm going to sell the Tundra though because it's been such a bombproof truck.

NRA4LIFE

WKR
I'm a 2500 guy period. Tow a 9000+ lb boat/trailer every so often and a 4k+ camper quite a bit. I know several guys who tried to pull like loads with a 1500 and had near catastrophic results especially when the wind came up with the campers. My old rig is a '02 GMC 2500 HD that is still a rock solid truck.

Brooks

WKR
I went from an '99 F350 7.3 crew cab to a 2020 f150 crew cab. The f150 has more power and almost as much torque as the 7.3. The 2020 f150 cab is the same cab they use in the f250 and f350.
445,000 miles on the '99 , 78,000 on the f150 and not one day I wished I had a new f350 diesel.
I still have a 99 Superduty with a 7.3 Powerstroke and I have a newer Superduty with a 6.7 Powerstroke and the difference between that old 7.3 and the 6.7 is day and night. The 6.7 has so much more power and a six speed transmission.

The 6.7 is getting 18 - 20 mpg and will pull a loaded gooseneck like it’s empty ! Can’t compare a 99 diesel to these monsters of today. 7.3 is a very reliable motor but when it comes to power the 6.7 has it in spades. Now a f150 gas motor might be comparable to the 7.3 but will never come close to the 6.7 !

wweaver

FNG
I sort of split the difference. I have 2022 Gas 7.3 F250 with the Tremor pack. Did a 3 inch Carli lift/king shocks with slightly softer Deaver rear springs. Rides much better than stock and the 7.3 with the 4.30 gearing in the tremor is still perfect with 37s. Went to this from a raptor as I wanted off road capabilities and to still be able to haul more hunting gear and not ‘bro out’ and high beam everyone with just 5/600 pounds in the bed. Next add is the 58 gallon tank they just released for the gas superduty trucks to be able to stay in the woods longer.