Anyone pulling an enclosed trailer with a midsize V6?

MHWASH

WKR
I currently pull my 7x14 with a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. I'm considering moving to a Tacoma size pick up. I'm concerned about power issues going up steep grades. The trailer won't be fully loaded, mostly hunting gear for a week, including wall tent.

I also have a 2500 Duramax for really heavy loads.

Dented

WKR
I pulled 5000 pounds with a Honda pilot for years. Lugged a little on the hills but never an issue. If you're not climbing mountains you should be okay. That being said, channel your inner Tim Taylor

Attachments

• proxy-image.png
    proxy-image.png
    165.8 KB · Views: 42

Bugger

FNG
It’s doable but absolutely no fun. If you don’t mind being the slow guy in the loser lane it’s a huge plus. A 7’ wide enclosed trailer is a freaking wind sail for that little truck and any headwind makes it even worse. You’d probably get comparable or better mileage with your 2500 too.

I pulled a 14’ camper from Houston Texas to Manhattan Kansas then back several years ago. Pulled with 5.7 tundra into head winds both ways. 6.1 mpg there and 5.7 mpg back running 3100 rpm at 70 both ways.

No way I’d want to do that in anything smaller.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TheHammer

WKR
I pull an enclosed and car hauler with my f150 frequently. When it was stock it did ok, each vehicle has some learning curve to adapt to when towing.

Syncerus1

FNG
F150 6.5 bed Lariat crew cab 3.5 Eco Boost, regularly pul 22' Bighorn car hauler w/car inside, 7400 lbs loaded. Noo issues except a loss of fuel economy... down from 17 to 13 @ 70mph freeway/long haul driving...

z987k

WKR
I have a 7x12 V nose single axle I pulled with my F150 no problem, and it pulls with my much newer Canyon way better. Max weight is only 3500lbs, but all it tows is sleds.
Doesn't hurt the Canyon has 2700lbs more tow rating than my old F150 did. Gets better MPG doing it to.

ben h

WKR
I pulled a 14’ camper from Houston Texas to Manhattan Kansas then back several years ago. Pulled with 5.7 tundra into head winds both ways. 6.1 mpg there and 5.7 mpg back running 3100 rpm at 70 both ways.

You and I have very similar expieriences and mpg pulling not very big campers, long distances (probably almost 100% freeway) with a 1/2 ton gas truck. I'd be curious how far a Tacoma or equivelant can pull a enclosed trailer between fillups. I bet it's around 200 miles, which would drive me crazy.

My dad, bless his heart, hauled horses in the back of a Fird F100 with a inline 6 and a "3 on the tree" tyranny.....way more miles than I care to remember!
THEN.......he bought a 1/2 ton Dodge pickup ..... and put a half cab over camper on it!
I drove it several miles as it rocked and rolled down the highway! :(
That rig was in a strain from the time you cranked it until you parked it!

When it came MY turn to purchase vehicles that would pull or haul, I started out with a 3/4 ton Chevy with a 350 cid and a 3 speed standard. It was geared 4:10! It wouldn't get 10 mpg if you put it in neutral and coasted! LOL!
Last purchase was a 1 ton w/Cummins diesel and a 6 spd std.
I've pulled some pretty amazing loads with that Dodge!

I can't tell you just how many times I've seen a 1/2 ton F150 pulling a huge gooseneck travel trailer.

Either purchase the vehicle and an appropriately sized travel trailer....OR.....purchase a travel trailer and get a vehicle with enough "oomph" to pull it!

You and I have very similar expieriences and mpg pulling not very big campers, long distances (probably almost 100% freeway) with a 1/2 ton gas truck. I'd be curious how far a Tacoma or equivelant can pull a enclosed trailer between fillups. I bet it's around 200 miles, which would drive me crazy.

I will say that the tundra handled it like a boss. But man the mpg took a hit in that wind. lol

crich

WKR
Not many people think about how important the weight of a tow vehicle is. Just because a half ton is rated to pull 12k doesn't mean it's smart. If a big rig passes you just right or a side wind hits that sail of a trailer, you're going to feel it idc if you have sway control or not.

5MilesBack

"DADDY"
I saw a Tacoma just this week pulling one of the heavier Uhaul two axle enclosed trailers and had to laugh........because when I rented one to haul my daughter's stuff to MO, their website showed me a warning that my F-350 diesel might not be appropriate to haul that trailer. SMH I had to laugh when even their pics show a Jeep Wrangler with that trailer behind it. Ya, I wouldn't want to be pulling a 14' enclosed trailer with a Tacoma. After doing that with my Tundra this past year, I don't even want to use the Tundra for that again.

Yoder

WKR
My old regular cab 2004 F150 6cyl could barely go up a hill without a trailer.

blkqi

WKR
I used to haul a 7x10 (single-axle) with my Tacoma to elk camp. It was manageable, but not ideal. I'd take the Duramax given the choice.

OMF

Lil-Rokslider
I recently pulled a few Uhaul trailers with a V6 quad cab, 4x4 long bed with shell, tow packaged up Tacoma. I was not impressed. One was a fully loaded/packed 5'x8' enclosed trailer and the other was a moderately loaded 4'x8' enclosed trailer. 200 to 250 miles between fill-ups. 2nd and 3rd gear up the Rockies on I70 in the "L" lane enduring the humiliating looks of disdain and head shakes, and the same downhill with a few added "OH "BEEEEPs!" and screams of terror trying to maintain safe speed and not burn up the breaks. I can live with the tow effort. Breaking/stopping power was my biggest concern.

It's been a great truck for a daily driver/home project materials hauling machine/ huntin wagon. It also did just fine pulling a compact car from the Midwest cross country to California. But the small enclosed trailer was a whole new experience for me.

signing off

Lil-Rokslider
My experience was buying a tandem axle 7x12 tall trailer and pulling with an early 5.4L f150.
I hoped for an easy haul, not a camper with water tanks and fridge and cabinets. Piece of cake right.

It's eye opening when you connect to that big ole sail. Between it and 4 tires on the highway, an enclosed trailer makes any vehicle work.

ReaptheHeat

Lil-Rokslider
I currently pull my 7x14 with a 2015 GMC Sierra 1500. I'm considering moving to a Tacoma size pick up. I'm concerned about power issues going up steep grades. The trailer won't be fully loaded, mostly hunting gear for a week, including wall tent.

I also have a 2500 Duramax for really heavy loads.
I run a V6 Tacoma with a single axle 6x12 for firewood...around 3500 lbs loaded. I live at 8k feet and there is a huge difference in power. It's doable but gutless, especially up the mountain passes.

Maverick1

WKR

That sounds miserable.