anyone have experience with Sitka Traverse pants?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've been using Sitka Ascent pants early and Timberlines late. I've got a trip to the Brooks Range this August that I was going to bring the Ascents (pretty sure the Timberlines will be too heavy/warm). I've never used the Traverse pants but look like they are heavier (and probably warmer) than the Ascents?

I looked at the Mountain pants, but they are basically the same weight as the Timberlines.

Thanks!

92xj

WKR
I have the traverse but not the ascents or timberlines, so I cannot give you a comparison.
I would rank them in the same warmth and stretch as the Eddie Bauer guides or chinos. Way lighter and not as warm as Forlohs pants. I enjoy wearing the Traverse in this spring weather while hiking the local hill. I would also be fine in them in the summer.

Wapiti151

WKR
I have the traverse (2021 version) and absolutely love them. I don’t have the ascents, but am familiar. The traverse pants are heavier but not by a ton. I also have the mountain and the timberlines. Mountain pants are definitely not as warm as the Timberlines IMO, kind of an in between the traverse and timberlines. I’ll be up there in august/September and will have the SG dehavilands on throughout. Timberlines are my favorite hunting pant out there, but I too worry about them being too warm, although weather can be unpredictable. The dehavilands are about timberline thickness, but I don’t mind because they have the vent on each leg that runs damn near the length of the leg. Figure that’ll cover me, no matter what the weather decides to do.

I went through the same conversation with myself, and that’s the conclusion I came up with, anyway.

TheTone

WKR
I’ve got multiple generations of ascents, traverses, older mtn pants and timberlines. To me the traverses seem similar to older ascents that I have which I really like. The new ascents are too light for me most of the time. I wear the traverse way more often

The traverse pants are squarely between the ascents and mountains as far as weight...but the material itself is more like the mountains than the ascents. I guess think of them as a mountain light. They also fit more similar to the mountains than the slimmer fitting ascents. As stated above, I think the traverse are the older version of the ascents.

That being said, I havent worn the traverse since I bought Kutanas - Id say they are in the same ballpark as far as weight/thickness. Might be worth considering if you havent tried them already.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks Gents! This sounds like the pant I'm looking for.

Looks like my local Sportsman's has some in stock, going to put hands on and try a pair on.

sr80

WKR
they're a nice pant, they have a different boot cut than the other sitka pants, they're somewhat wide at the bottom which i didnt really like. But i wore gaiters usually anyways. LLike mentioned they're the same as the original ascents from years ago. Really stretchy and pretty durable for what they are .

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ I saw they weren't as tapered as the Ascents, but like you, I'll be wearing tall gaiters with what ever pants I bring :)

Trial153

WKR
The traverse is a good choice as go between. I have an original set in subalpine and two newer sets in solid gray. In fact I am wearing them now.

fatlander

WKR
The new traverse is what the old (original) ascent were if I’m not mistaken. They were a wonderful early season pant, would be perfect if they only had hip zips. I liked the originally ascent a lot more than the new ascent.

They’re basically slightly lighter Kuiu attacks without hip zips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buckhead

FNG
I have traverse, mountain and timberlines. I agree with others, the traverse is great for early season. Minimalist design, no knee pads or anything. When layered, surprisingly warm.

Mountain pants are next level, heavier-thicker fabric, more wear resistant, warmer. Timberline pants are a step up, even further. I think the Timberlines are the heaviest pant that Sitka currently sells. Reinforced/waterproof knees and butt are a nice feature. I bought the Timberlines last, probably would skip over the Mountains if I had a do over.

The new traverse is what the old (original) ascent were if I’m not mistaken. They were a wonderful early season pant, would be perfect if they only had hip zips. I liked the originally ascent a lot more than the new ascent.

They’re basically slightly lighter Kuiu attacks without hip zips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yep, traverse are the original ascents.

I've been using Sitka Ascent pants early and Timberlines late. I've got a trip to the Brooks Range this August that I was going to bring the Ascents (pretty sure the Timberlines will be too heavy/warm). I've never used the Traverse pants but look like they are heavier (and probably warmer) than the Ascents?

I looked at the Mountain pants, but they are basically the same weight as the Timberlines.

Thanks!
The ascent is nice but doesn't cut much wind at all I actually really like the mtn pants and they really are a bit lighter than the timberline and they have the side vents to help air it out a bit they cut a lot of wind and are pretty water resistant untile complete saturation

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thanks for all the input Gents! Pants arrived, 34 was the right call, 32 would have been too tight.

The weight was exactly what I was looking for; something slightly heavier (and warmer) than the Ascent. Cargo pockets appear to be identical and the addition of a zipped rear pocket is welcomed. Plenty of room in the thighs and have that slight stretch which is nice.

(y)

Dos XX

WKR
Classified Approved
Thanks for all the input Gents! Pants arrived, 34 was the right call, 32 would have been too tight.

The weight was exactly what I was looking for; something slightly heavier (and warmer) than the Ascent. Cargo pockets appear to be identical and the addition of a zipped rear pocket is welcomed. Plenty of room in the thighs and have that slight stretch which is nice.

(y)
Are the knees pleated / articulated on the Traverse pants?

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are small pleats just above (and behind) the knees.

Can't use knee pads like the Ascents, but the only time I've used the knee pads are antelope hunting and the Ascents would likely get the nod there anyways as temps toted be warmer

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Happy to report that recently getting back from a bear hunt, the Traverses were perfect. A little warmer than my Ascents, but not so warm to be uncomfortable when temps reached the low 60's.

They appear to be reasonably tough too, having to negotiate a bunch of blowdown with no ill effect.