anyone ever use trip (hunting) insurance?

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking about booking a once in a lifetime sheep hunt that will be very spendy (for me anyways) and think it would be prudent to have insurance for the hunt. I've got emergency rescue type insurance covered, I'm talking about insurance for the trip if it weren't to happen- ie getting injured/sick before the hunt (or a close family member), cancellation/interruption for some other reason, missed flights, lost baggage and I'm sure there are multiple other scenarios that I'm not thinking of.

Anyone use it before? Recommendations? Cautionary advice?

Thanks in advance!

Mike

zacattack

WKR
We had it for our honeymoon, and almost had to use it. I remember it wasn’t that costly to get it, less than 100 per person if I remember correctly. Now that was a few years ago, not sure of the current rates. Just be sure if what is covered, some only cover certain parts i.e. maybe just the flight and hotel but nothing else.

It was worth the piece of mind having it for us.

DV4LF3

FNG
Seems if it were a pricy trip which it sounds like it is, then insurance would be a must. I have no experience here but plan on saving up to go on a trip you speak of one day and would love to learn what people have done in the past and the pros and cons. Good post to put up.

AKBorn

WKR
I do not use it for my remote AK hunting trips, but I did read some tales last fall of guys having trips cancelled due to COVID. If I recall correctly, some people had issues due to the insurance not covering all that they assumed that it did.

Read the insurance policy very carefully, and ask a lot of questions about what would and would not be covered in regards to an out-of-state sheep hunt, before signing on the dotted line. Best of luck on your hunt!

Sogan

FNG
Like others have said, make sure you understand what it does and does not cover and then make a determination if it’s worth it to you. If it covered everything I could think of and only cost $100-200 or so per person then I would certainly do it on a 5-8k trip

TSAMP

WKR
I would dig into details on that. The "cancel any reason" is deceiving, at least in my case. It only covered a percentage of total trip cost if used and added roughly 30 percent to the premium. Upon looking into the actual covered reasons in the normal policy it was not necessary at all. It sounds great as a Line item but was not worth the added cost.

With the wildfires and health pandemic I used it for the first time last year. Shop around as well I got 3 quotes and they were all over the place.

OP
mtwarden

mtwarden

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is there a company anyone would recommend by chance?

I would dig into details on that. The "cancel any reason" is deceiving, at least in my case. It only covered a percentage of total trip cost if used and added roughly 30 percent to the premium. Upon looking into the actual covered reasons in the normal policy it was not necessary at all. It sounds great as a Line item but was not worth the added cost.

With the wildfires and health pandemic I used it for the first time last year. Shop around as well I got 3 quotes and they were all over the place.
This^^^^^ if sounds too good to be true be aware.

I got a quote from

for a $10,000 trip.....was $500-600...don't remember the exact amount. It did not if I was delayed getting out of the field in Alaska to re schedule a flight. It only covered if the major airline changed the flight and stranded me and caused me to get a room for the night and then it only covered a limited amount.

Bought insurance on Alaska Air tickets last year.. trip was cancelled by cruise line......insurance did not cover Covid pandemic.

Check into the details and talk to the agent and ask specific questions to see if it will be covered.

Last edited:

cfdjay

WKR
Bump. Like mtwarden I'm looking for some reviews and recommendations as well.

NorseNW

FNG
I did a moose hunt to Canada last year - originally booked for 2021. My outfitter highly suggested I get travel insurance and suggested AIG travel guard. It was easy enough to sign up for and easy to extend the coverage another year when the trip got postponed by a year. I can't vouch for what they are like for filing a claim because I thankfully didn't need to. I will say I came close for two events. One was Covid and the other was a large fire that was headed for the outfitters hunting grounds a couple months before our trip.

cbat

Lil-Rokslider
My wife and I and the kids were going to Egypt in Feb of 2020. Well trip gets cancelled due to CV19. We were insured as it was a pricy trip. Around 20K with all the side trips and such. The insurance covered a little over half in cash back and the rest in travel credits. The credits are a pain in the but with lots of restrictions. We were led to believe it would be all cash back so check the fine print.

Make sure you go ahead and get the cancel for any reason option. My trip insurance for a $5000 trip was a little over $300.
This. My Father had booked a Cape Buffalo hunt for May of 2020- of course Covid shut the world down that March. His trip insurance refused to pay out for Covid because it was not a natural disaster or whatever else they had in his policy- even though he couldn't have gotten to Africa even if he had wanted to due to airline cancellations. It wasn't until he resubmitted with death in the family that they honored his policy payout. Needless to say he opted for different coverage when he rebooked. Definitely worth it for expensive trips.

wmd

Lil-Rokslider
I went moose hunting in the Yukon in September of '22 and booked the trip in October of "19. I called Ripcord Insurance, recommended by the outfitter, in October of 19 to purchase insurance. I was told I could not buy insurance until one year prior to the hunt. Their information also says insurance must be purchased within 30 days of deposit for hunt is made. Based on that I rolled the dice and did not purchase insurance everything went ok so I had no issues. That being said I would have preferred insurance, cost would have been about 7.5% of the hunt cost.
wmd

Gobbler36

WKR
When I book my sheep hunt I will make sure to have all the bells and whistles of the best policy I can find. Not doesn’t really matter if it was $1000 premium that pales in comparison to the overall cost of your sheep hunt. That’s just me though, I tend to insure everything

MattB

WKR
Never have.

Based on the experience of others make sure you fully understand what it will and will not cover.

TSAMP

WKR
Is there a company anyone would recommend by chance?
I used travel guard. I did not need to file for anything, trip went as planned. However they were reasonably priced in comparison to others and very easy to work with.

cfdjay

WKR
I'm curious to know the names of the actual companies that people have used. There seems to be many options.