Anyone ever reclaim down ?

Thinking of making a few insulated pieces and have a few older down products that could be recycled to provide down. Is it worth the effort ? Has anyone done this ? How did it work out ?

OP
G
Well ,kind of forgot I posted this. Looks like I will be one of the first people to try this ,or at least admit I tried it. LOL

Mrdeuce

FNG
I've heard of doing it for hammock quilts so I don't see why not. Just seems tough as hell to keep it contained. God forbid there's a breeze lol

Kleos

Lil-Rokslider
Make sure you do it in a secluded room and duct tape all the vents, under the doorways and any where else you might get the lightest breeze haha!

I guess for me it depends on what product I was going to recycle the down from. But personally unless it was a prototype or something I didn't rely on the warmth I would most likely just purchase new down so I knew the temperatures it would be able to go down to.

I just don't want to put a bunch of time and effort into a project with unknown variables.

But be sure to check back in and let us know how it goes.

One tip is weigh the bag your going to put all the down into before hand. Then weigh it with the down inside it and that should give you an idea.

You might try Googling "backpacking light myog recycle down." There is a healthy MYOG community over there. Try it and come report how it went! :)

Maverick1

WKR
I have not. But I can imagine a glitter bomb going off with several milkweed pods and a large floor fan would result in a similar experience.

OP
G
Had an idea the other night laying in bed trying to fall asleep. I thought of using a shop vac to suck out down after making a small slit in a baffle . After I find a cheap donor (thrift store) I will try this idea before doing it on the good stuff.

Macintosh

WKR
When Inwas a kid my dad cut up several old down sleeping bags. He made one down parka, then a second larger down parka. He sewed them together with offset down compartments, offset zippers, etc. it is the warmest down jacket ever made, anywhere, by anyone. It also requires a CDL to transport it.

Just be careful of stray down. You’ll have some. Perhaps better to see if an outfit like feathered friends will recycle it for you for a credit?