Anyone ever had trouble using an Exo as a carry on bag?

mcseal2

WKR
I’m flying Alaska Air starting Friday through Seattle, Anchorage, and to Kodiak. I can save a piece of luggage if I take my Exo K2 3500 out of my duffle and use it as my carry on. Anyone ever had that not work? I won’t have it stuffed full, just a few items and optics in it.

Thanks for the help.

Marbles

WKR
Classified Approved
I have not. You should be fine on Alaska. I would not jam it full, but even if you did, you probably will not have an issue with the 3500.

I have taken my Exo 4800 as a carry on several trips to Alaska flying Alaska Air…never questioned. As mentioned by others it was not stuffed full… had camera gear, Binos, power banks, and other electronics.

Something to think about… if you use it to pack meat and get blood all over it, you may need to clean it before bringing it as a carry on on the return flight home.

Last edited:
Use my Badlands 2200 stuffed to the gills as my carry on every fall when I fly out west. This is on Southwest airlines

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Thanks everyone. I had heard of several people doing this before but just wanted to make sure it still wasn't an issue. I actually talked to Mark at Exo today and he said the same as you all are. I re-packed this way and it cleared up plenty of room.

Mark removes the lid and puts his small items he might want on the plane in it. He grabs it before putting the bag in the overhead compartment. I think I'll do this as well.

Mikido

WKR
No problem with a k2 5500. Took the belt off and cinched it all down. No sweat

JNDEER

WKR
Flew Alaska to hawaii with a k2. I removed the belt and lid. had it full of my gear and pulled tight- no issue.

However it IS longer then the allowed length and if the plane is super full the backpack will NOT go in the overhead bin straight on and needs to be turned sideways some- FYI. Atleast on our plane to and from it needed to.

young7.3

WKR
Nope. Flew with the k1 several times and never an issue via carry on

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cbeard64

WKR
I have flown with my Seek Outside Peregrine 3500 as a carryon without ever having an issue. I have always been a little concerned because I am pretty sure that it is longer than technically allowed so I keep my passport, documents, etc. separate in case there is ever an issue.

I think the most that would ever happen is they would make you check it at the gate and retrieve it at the gate upon landing anyway.

OP
mcseal2

mcseal2

WKR
Worked fine coming up. I wrapped the hip belt around the pack and hooked it up tight. I removed the lid and put it inside the main bag. The lid I had with items I might want on the flight like a battery and charger cord for my phone.

Thanks all for the help. Waiting in Anchorage to fly to Kodiak now.