Anyone done the Wind River High Route?

Looking for someone who has done the Wind River High Route. Specifically I’m back and forth on bringing a lightweight ice axe and crampons. I do not intend to goof around on glaciers as I’ll be alone, though looks like my route may take me across a short section of knife point. I’m probably going in mid to late July. Together my crampons/axe weigh 33 ounces. Not a lot of weight but still an extra 2 lbs. I don’t want to haul extra weight but… There is no substitute if they are needed.

I’m not strictly following the high route put together by Adventure Allen. I’m planning to take a modified version in hopes of getting into some golden trout.

Anyone have experience? How much hard pack snow/ice would be typical? Of course I’ll do snowpack research. Just looking for general experiences other have had.

Also… long shot here, clues on location of Flying Monkey Lake? 😃

OP
Wyobohunter
If it’s something you are looking to do this coming summer, a partner wouldn’t be a bad thing. July is a way off but I’m starting to get stuff ready 😜

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413.3 KB · Views: 49

PNWGATOR

WKR
Did you have a look at Andrew Skurka’s route and info posted on his site? Might be helpful, not sure.

I know the answer to your last question.

They would probably send the Clinton’s after me if I told you too much. PM coming with some ideas on spots to check out.

I've never needed crampons or ice axes in the Winds but I don't go there to climb mountains or glaciers and I avoid steep snow bound routes where the possibility of taking a slide and needing to self arrest exist.

As for that lake... I've been there twice. Once before the internet ruined it and once after. The author of a book written in the 90's details it which is how I found it and which I suppose was the beginning of the decline. An Outfitter out of Dubois took blabby clients there as well, but it's the bloggers and Instagrammers that finished it off. It's a small lake that just couldn't keep its quality with much pressure at all. It's not what it used to be trust me. My advice is to be adventurous and explore some of the many lakes up there that are not talked about on the internet.

gilby

Lil-Rokslider
If it’s something you are looking to do this coming summer, a partner wouldn’t be a bad thing. July is a way off but I’m starting to get stuff ready 😜
Unfortunately it won't be this summer. Getting married and won't have the time off to do that long of back packing trip

mlgc20

WKR
I did a good part of it many years ago. Ice axe was definitely not necessary. We had microspikes and trekking poles. That was sufficient.

OP
Wyobohunter
I’ve trimmed my fly gear down to 17.5 ounces. I really think the only way I could get it significantly lighter is going tenkara 🤮

Anyway, here it is. Though I may change up the fly selection as I research.

Attachments

• B4DCC49B-87E1-4522-9967-65FA6C6EB725.jpeg
    B4DCC49B-87E1-4522-9967-65FA6C6EB725.jpeg
    264.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 7C22F6FE-E79A-4F8F-854A-F9135ACE3E5E.jpeg
    7C22F6FE-E79A-4F8F-854A-F9135ACE3E5E.jpeg
    235.3 KB · Views: 34
OP
Wyobohunter
My total weight (not counting clothes/boots worn) is 44 lbs 9 oz. That is with 11 days food and 2 liters of water. In many spots I may only carry 1 liter as there are so many lakes. I bought some Kahtoola micro spikes and will bring my old Black Diamond whippet instead of an ice axe. I wish I could do down as it’d save me at least another lbs between my sleeping bag and puffy jacket. I’m allergic so it isn’t an option.

OP
Wyobohunter
The tube is just a freebie that an ice fishing pole came in. Way lighter than the carbon fiber and brass tube the rod came in. The carbon tube would have been perfect if not for the brass. I’m cushioning the rod in the plastic with my spare socks.

I hear you on the OCD thing. Last summer I was hiking with my kid out of Big Sandy Opening. We headed down from Diamond Lake and got nearly to the Big Sandy trail junction before I realized I forgot my rod. That was a helluva run… Could have been an expensive brain fart.