Anybody have a Stihl MS-182?

Geewhiz

WKR
I'm looking for a small saw just as a backup saw to my 391 and to leave in the truck/bring camping, etc.. I was just going to grab a 170 but as I look more I am intrigued by the 182. The 170 is a 30.1 cc saw at about $200 while the 182 is a 35.8cc saw at $240. Then you've got the 211 which is 35.2cc at $360-$380.

Just haven't really seen much on the 182 and it seams like the best value so I'm curious if anyone here has used one?

Really only looking at stihl saws b/c that's what I grew up with and am familiar with.

I have the 170 I use around the house. Have taken down and processed for transport a mature ash tree with it. Cleaned up a windbreak from invasive elms which was a full day of cutting and hauling. I have generally been pleased with the 170. It does the job, starts even when it's cold.

I like your comparative analysis on the cc's for the $. The 170 is "Made in America" if that matters to you, although the Stihl replacement chains I've bought are European (almost as good, to me). The 182 looks to have some electronics on board (for diagnostics). I don't think you could go wrong either way.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
The 170 is "Made in America" if that matters to you
Definitely matters to me if its a comparable and competitive product.

Seams like the hp on the 180 is 2.0 and the 182 is 2.1 so I'm not sure how 18% more cc's only translates to 5% more hp?

I kept a 170 on my sxs. It was a decent little saw for what it was made for. You'll get 40-60 hours of use out of it before bad air filtration smokes the cylinder. When mine didn't run any longer, I swapped a 24" bar on my 372 instead of buying another small saw.

I have an old 290 workhorse for big stuff. Over the years, I swapped out the 20" "farm boss" bar for an 18" Oregon bar and chain and will never go back to the bigger bar. It cuts faster, runs longer, and is way easier on chains than the bigger bar/chain while sacrificing very little as far as maximum cut size. This saw is one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's 20 years old and still starts with 3 or 4 pulls every time.

When I wanted a smaller saw, I ended up going with the MS 194 T. The one-handed operation is a HUGE plus, and that little 14" bar is like a light saber. It punches way above its belt and can take down both the small stuff and some truly impressive feats. I've got a couple hundred hours on this saw at least, and other than regular maintenance its been a rock star.

I've had the best luck with Oregon replacement chains. They're cheaper and last longer than the Stihl branded units IME.

TaperPin

WKR
I‘m not saying you should or shouldn’t get a new little saw. An 028 with a carb that has adjustable slow and fast speed idle is small enough to be light and easy to handle, but large enough if your main saw craps out it can finish out the day. Having an easily adjustable carb and cheap spare parts goes a long way. It’s not powerful for it’s weight, on paper it looks like a dud, and it will never win a race or be confused with the better (and more expensive) 026 pro saw, but it works.

I almost think the mediocre performance lets this saw survive longer than it should even in dirty dusty conditions.

Backyard

WKR
I would go with a 180 if you have the choice.
I've got a 310 that I've used for years. I'm getting a bit up there in age so it's starting to get a bit tough to swing around a 13lb saw when I'm limbing big oaks that I've dropped. I looked at the 170, 180, & 182. The 180 is 0.1hp less than the 182, and 1.5lbs lighter (8.6lbs). I went with the 180. It took a bit of getting used to a smaller blade and the way it cuts. But after that, I really like it for limbing. I can swing that thing all day if I had to, and still have enough left in me to grab the 310 and finish cutting the rest of the tree.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
I‘m not saying you should or shouldn’t get a new little saw. An 028 with a carb that has adjustable slow and fast speed idle is small enough to be light and easy to handle, but large enough if your main saw craps out it can finish out the day. Having an easily adjustable carb and cheap spare parts goes a long way. It’s not powerful for it’s weight, on paper it looks like a dud, and it will never win a race or be confused with the better (and more expensive) 026 pro saw, but it works.

I almost think the mediocre performance lets this saw survive longer than it should even in dirty dusty conditions.
I don't believe they make the 028 anymore and I don't think they make a MS280. What's the nowadays equivalent to that? I think there's a 250, 260, 270 and 290 series.

TaperPin

WKR
I don't believe they make the 028 anymore and I don't think they make a MS280. What's the nowadays equivalent to that? I think there's a 250, 260, 270 and 290 series.
I don’t know which would be similar - not much help.

OP
Geewhiz

Geewhiz

WKR
Local murdochs is having a 20% off sale this weekend and they don't have a 182 in stock. Think I might just pick up a 180 or 181 for 160-175 bucks. Super tiny and cheap. Id like a 211 but they're almost 2x the money for not that much more saw. 🤷‍♂️

For something to carry and use sporadically, I love my MSA200C

Electric won't work for everyone, but it replaced my 310 farm boss. Still use my 460 for big stuff.

Pretty big price difference, but I carry it every day in a cab with no smell.

I actually worked for Stihl for about 3.5 years after I graduated college and then moved onto another profession. The ms170 is one of stihls top selling saws. Decent performance to cost ratio. Some of the newer low end saws are known turds however they are "clean" emissions saws that lower the company's carbon credits to keep producing the better performing "dirty" saws (ie MS170) this is partially why they still make the MS170 as well as a 171. I can't speak much of the 182 but I can tell you not many people were looking for them.

I'd do yourself the long term favor and spend the extra money and get a MS250 or even a 271.

I own a 170 among a few other bigger saws all the way up to a 660. I wouldn't take the 170 out into the woods.

ktm450

Lil-Rokslider
I have a number of Stihl saws including the new 500i (for comparison). I really like the 180 for kicking around the house, but absolutely hate the swivel style chain adjuster that they use on some instead of the nuts.

I pick up good used ones (180’s or 250’s) at pawn shops for around $100-150 and use Them for lenders, quads, and for small chores They are great. I would not choose them for felling firewood cutting.

I’ve run a lot of saws. Built a lot of them too. I’m different than a lot of people because I buy the best for my needs. Meaning, I buy professional grade saws.

For a small saw the husky 562 is hard to beat. A 360 stihl is in the same class. Both are light. Both run from 16 to 20 inch bars like butter. And both will run 20-25 gallons of fuel before starting to slow up.

Buy once. Plus, if need be, put a 24” bar on it and cut big stuff easily. But, I still run saws a lot. So, I’m biased.

• Haha
Reactions: TVW
I actually worked for Stihl for about 3.5 years after I graduated college and then moved onto another profession. The ms170 is one of stihls top selling saws. Decent performance to cost ratio. Some of the newer low end saws are known turds however they are "clean" emissions saws that lower the company's carbon credits to keep producing the better performing "dirty" saws (ie MS170) this is partially why they still make the MS170 as well as a 171. I can't speak much of the 182 but I can tell you not many people were looking for them.

I'd do yourself the long term favor and spend the extra money and get a MS250 or even a 271.

I own a 170 among a few other bigger saws all the way up to a 660. I wouldn't take the 170 out into the woods.
A 270 class saw will out cut the 290’s and 310’s. It’s a great little saw. Runs hard.

BluMtn

WKR
I have an old 290 workhorse for big stuff. Over the years, I swapped out the 20" "farm boss" bar for an 18" Oregon bar and chain and will never go back to the bigger bar. It cuts faster, runs longer, and is way easier on chains than the bigger bar/chain while sacrificing very little as far as maximum cut size. This saw is one of the best purchases I've ever made. It's 20 years old and still starts with 3 or 4 pulls every time.

When I wanted a smaller saw, I ended up going with the MS 194 T. The one-handed operation is a HUGE plus, and that little 14" bar is like a light saber. It punches way above its belt and can take down both the small stuff and some truly impressive feats. I've got a couple hundred hours on this saw at least, and other than regular maintenance its been a rock star.

I've had the best luck with Oregon replacement chains. They're cheaper and last longer than the Stihl branded units IME.
I carry a 194 Arbor saw also on my SxS. Compact, lightweight, and cuts like no tomorrow.

They really sing if you open up the exhaust and give it a little port and polish. I do prefer the 261 over it but it's definitely in a different price range.
261? Forgetaboutit. I sure did too. I definitely would buy the 261 over the 562 or 360 stihl for what these guys are requiring. Those things will eat. I didn’t realize they were that affordable either. For $200 or so more then the 270, they could have a saw that’ll do everything they’ll need. It’ll just allow them to do it a lot quicker. And, it won’t wear out like the homeowner grade will either. Good advice man.

Last edited: