Anybody had issues after having an m16 extractor installed (rem700)???

Yep, did you sent the bolt only or the whole gun? I had one installed on my bolt and had to reset the barrel and headspace.

Yep, did you sent the bolt only or the whole gun? I had one installed on my bolt and had to reset the barrel and headspace.
The bolt/action/barrel was sent in, apparently the counterbored the barrel or something to account for the new extractor.

The loads I’d previously used in the rifle for several years and many hunts basically blew up. Now there’s a case neck stuck in the chamber. The gun is out of commission until I get that out.

What a mess, I did not get that far as my gun would not even chamber a round after such modification. I hope you solve this problem soon,
H

Weird. The counterbore does have to be opened some. Shouldn’t have been a need to mess with headspace. I’ve had reloads with shot-out brass separate like that. Yes the best plan is to contact who ever did the work.

What cartridge? Is it a magnum? Some need the counterbore opened and some do not. Opening the counterbore should not change pressure in any way at all. It has nothing to do with supporting the case. That portion of the case is unsupported no matter what the diameter of the counterbore.

You say they basically blew up. What does that mean exactly? A neck separation shouldn’t be attributed to over pressure.

You can take a slightly oversized new bore brush and run it into the case neck to attempt to pull it out. If a bronze brush doesn’t do it use a stiffer stainless brush. Don’t run a stainless brush fully through the bore.

Back