Anybody finding morels?

Wrench

WKR
We still have snow in our yard at 2k feet. It's gonna be a few weeks before we see 50* soil temps here in eastern Washington/north Idaho.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
I've been seeing them pop on a Facebook PNW mushroom group I follow. Mostly right near sea level. Both Verpas and morels.

OP
Campcreek12
Any tips for finding them in the blue mountains in NE Oregon?
Not sure bout your area but in mine there doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason except around some really old apples trees. Otherwise none of the go to's seem to apply as far as being around certain trees or soil type. I'm sure there is something to those things but I have not been able to pattern them in my area. Seems pretty random other than them growing in bunches in times when we find them. We have just covered tons of ground and remembered where we found em before.

Jskaanland

Administrator
Staff member
Any tips for finding them in the blue mountains in NE Oregon?
Wait... I pick north of you in the blues in wa. I have some spots I won't touch until the end of May, into June.

Edit: I walk logging roads until I start seeing them. I'll dive off from there. I'll even drive and look. We call it "Road Shrooming." We started doing it when our kids were too tired to keep picking.

The tiny greys are popping up here. Central Indiana

Attachments

• 90F67FA4-487B-4C6D-8238-CB433BE66640.jpeg
    90F67FA4-487B-4C6D-8238-CB433BE66640.jpeg
    189.6 KB · Views: 84

Wrench

WKR
I take a pyrometer with me when I go to the woods. I check soil temp. If it's around 50*.....it's time.

My dad has found them in western Washington already this year. First week of April.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Too much snow and only the last few days have been warming up here in w montana.

Sent from my LM-G850 using Tapatalk

OP
Campcreek12
I have some buddies that have been finding them going on 2 weeks now. Still only in the warm areas tho.

Likely not too far from OP.
I am in the most southern part of WV and havent found any in any of my sweet spots yet. My guess is, the next rain we get, theyll start popping up quickly