Anybody finding morels?

UncleBone

WKR
Few weeks ? Or even months . I have a dehydrator but wasn’t sure if that is the right way or even a safe way not to mess them up.
Sorry I forgot to respond. if you cut them in half, lay them out on parchment individually, and freeze them that way, then you can put them in a container after and store them frozen. They will last a year that way. I think they freeze way better than they dehydrate. Unless you have access to a freeze dryer... That is the best way to do them.

Don't know if it's just a bad season or if a few might come up yet but it's been very slim pickings in southern WV.
I spent all last week north of Lewisburg, spots I found them consistently for the last 20 years were bare...I think it got too hot too fast...the vegetation on the ground was waaay greener and taller than usual for this time of year. Of coarse it had to snow last week too...sure that didn't help...

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Sorry I forgot to respond. if you cut them in half, lay them out on parchment individually, and freeze them that way, then you can put them in a container after and store them frozen. They will last a year that way. I think they freeze way better than they dehydrate. Unless you have access to a freeze dryer... That is the best way to do them.

Gotta say drying is the way to go. They loose their texture when frozen imo, didn’t like results from frozen & take up room in freezer better spent on meat! Promise drying is easy, I agree to cut em in half

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider

I recommend this. Very reliable

manitou1

WKR

I recommend this. Very reliable
Unfortunately you never see any reports in Wyoming.
We used to find lots in Missouri. One of the few things I miss.

ProStaffSteve

Lil-Rokslider
Unfortunately you never see any reports in Wyoming.
We used to find lots in Missouri. One of the few things I miss.

No kidding? Wondering if Utah will update with any. New to the area, feels like SLC could be popping any day. Possibly needs more rain

Will post a pic in a few hours when i get home n get em all cleaned up, But I found over 100 today by myself. Cant say for sure, but it may be my biggest haul in one day alone.
I was up Sunday in one of my early season calf brain spots and there was still 18" of snow. All of this talk of folks finding morels has me jonesing to find some, but Ma Nature is going to have to do her part.

UncleBone

WKR
What elevation are you finding them in Colorado? I’ve looked for years with no luck. I’m at 7500’.
Below 6k on these guys. I havent found them any higher, but I know people that find them almost to 10k feet.

UncleBone

WKR
So you’re telling me there’s a chance!!
Yeah, I would say give it another week or two at your elevation. Check near riparian areas if there are any around. I find them a lot in willows, wild roses, and near russian olives, and standing and fallen dead cottonwoods.

Wrench

WKR
Still working on last year's. We picked about 40 gallons worth. I have a commercial dehydrator and a freeze dryer.....commercial dehydrator for sure is the better choice. I jar them in mason jars and vacuum seal the lids.20220611_200351.jpg20220611_202315.jpg