Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

NRA4LIFE

WKR
No, my only fixed blade knives are small skinners in kidex sheathes. I carry those in my pack. All others are folders and replaceables.

NDGuy

WKR
Replaceable blades are for girly men

1720999337459.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4592.jpeg
    IMG_4592.jpeg
    446.6 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    472.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_4595.jpeg
    IMG_4595.jpeg
    459.3 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0450.jpeg
    IMG_0450.jpeg
    457.9 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0442.jpeg
    IMG_0442.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 13
High quality folder in my pocket (S30v, capable of breaking down game if separated from my pack). Fixed blade with kill kit in my pack lid.

Care to share some makers of high quality folders.

I’m thinking of getting a new one

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mjh

FNG
Usually have a fixed blade—under 4 inches more than 2.5

FF8E1467-E94A-4720-9311-6B87F7719541.jpeg

Last edited:
Care to share some makers of high quality folders.

I’m thinking of getting a new one

I have been happy with the Benchmade stuff.

Mine is a Benchmade Osborne. I also like the Tagged Out for a lightweight, fullsize folder. But, the brand probably isn't as important as the steel. I would find something that feels good with high quality steel and don't look back.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Yeah I “run” the crocodile Dundee knife around my neck. It’s on a quick detach chain too. Very effective.

I think most guys in here are picturing folks with huge Bowie knives in giant leather sheaths clunking around. What guys are actually carrying these days are less than 4 ounce fixed blade skinning style knives that are less in your way and way easier to access than a folder in your pocket. Me personally , I every day carry a folder style knife but when riding horses/mules or hunting/backpacking I carry a quick access fixed blade. Always have and it’s my preference.

When I backpack hunt my plan is to actually kill an animal not just prance around the terrain. A good quality light weight fixed blade skinner style/shape knife is a much faster and better field tool for breaking down animals than a replaceable blade knife or folder.

Usually by the time someone gets their pack off, finds their “kill kit”, digs around for their knife, puts on the razor blade, etc. we will have the animal gutted, skinned and already started on the process of assessing bullet location, condition of vitals, entry/possible exit, learning how it died, etc.
You don’t take your pack off to cut up an animal? Don’t you still need to get out game bags from your pack? And who the hell guts an animal on a backpack hunt? How about pictures? Those aren’t allowed during the race either?

I have been happy with the Benchmade stuff.

Mine is a Benchmade Osborne. I also like the Tagged Out for a lightweight, fullsize folder. But, the brand probably isn't as important as the steel. I would find something that feels good with high quality steel and don't look back.

Awesome thanks! I’ll give the bench made a try!

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
You don’t take your pack off to cut up an animal? Don’t you still need to get out game bags from your pack? And who the hell guts an animal on a backpack hunt? How about pictures? Those aren’t allowed during the race either?
Your fascination with me in several threads lately has been really cute and flattering and all, but I’m happily married, sorry bud.

Ucsdryder

WKR
Your fascination with me in several threads lately has been really cute and flattering and all, but I’m happily married, sorry bud.
That’s too bad! Send me a pic.

Sometimes it’s hard for me to see stupid sh** and not respond. Lots of posers on here…I’m working on it though!