Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

Marshfly

WKR
This is also how I feel. One reason I’m considering keeping a knife on my Bino harness (along with other things) is to ensure that I have everything I need to process an animal should I somehow get separated from my pack
Right. Knife with kill kit. Knife (maybe) with lunch.

Done.

Also why are people journeying so far from their packs? Carry less crap so you can just leave it on your back.

Also why are people journeying so far from their packs? Carry less crap so you can just leave it on your back.

Exactly. My pack never leaves my back unless I'm sitting down for an extended period of time and it's never more than a few yards away, at most.

KB007

FNG
Benchmade folder in my pocket and fixed blade on pack for easy access.

High quality folder in my pocket (S30v, capable of breaking down game if separated from my pack). Fixed blade with kill kit in my pack lid.

Taudisio

WKR
Again. What am I needed the knife for? Lunch maybe if I bring summer sausage but that lunch is in my pack. Otherwise, cleaning an animal. Then I need the kill kit. Also. In my pack.

I just don’t need knives all the time. I can’t understand how some of you do. I’m honestly curious.

I literally go an entire season only using it for lunch and cleaning animals during the day. Zero other uses away from maybe camp chores. Also, then, I have my pack.
Let’s say you can’t legally carry a pistol or rifle while archery hunting, would you belt carry one then?
Only one state that it applies to that I’m aware of, but I still go there to hunt with family.

That’s the only time I have one on my belt.

Wolfshead

FNG
Again. What am I needed the knife for? Lunch maybe if I bring summer sausage but that lunch is in my pack. Otherwise, cleaning an animal. Then I need the kill kit. Also. In my pack.

I just don’t need knives all the time. I can’t understand how some of you do. I’m honestly curious.

I literally go an entire season only using it for lunch and cleaning animals during the day. Zero other uses away from maybe camp chores. Also, then, I have my pack.
As I said in my post, many times I may not even be carrying a pack.
I know we hunt in different areas, so we have to do what works for us.
I wouldn’t hunt with a pack such as yours in your avatar either.
I may only go a couple miles back in where I hunt.
Looking at your avatar, I’m certain that you’re hunting in much bigger country than I am.

Outlaw99

WKR
I always hunt with one on my belt, and usually have one (a folder) in my pack as well.
Packs get taken off, and set down or something, or can be unavailable for what ever reason. If it’s on my belt I have no worries.
I don’t hunt out west, but here in the Northeast, and I know there are some differences however.
I make my own.
I am considering making a kydex sheath so that I can wear a fixed blade on my bino harness, or pack strap.
This is the knife I hunted with on my belt all last season
View attachment 735675View attachment 735676

This is the knife I plan to have on my belt this season.

View attachment 735677View attachment 735678View attachment 735679
Beautiful work. I have a knife that needs a sheath just like that bottom basket weave . I like it alot

Mojave

WKR
Not on my belt. Never any more. They go in the kill kit in my bag. I also have some kind of baby butt wipes or Clorox wipes to clean It and my hands.

Ohiohuntr

Lil-Rokslider
Folder in my pocket and a small bark river fixed blade in the rear pocket of my pack, it’s their if I need it for some of the bigger butchering chores

mxgsfmdpx

WKR
That neck thing is dumb on so many levels. Seems like a read a story about someone falling or something and stabbing themselves in the chest when the knife came out.

I’m sure neck knife people also describe it as “running” a neck knife.
Yeah I “run” the crocodile Dundee knife around my neck. It’s on a quick detach chain too. Very effective.

I think most guys in here are picturing folks with huge Bowie knives in giant leather sheaths clunking around. What guys are actually carrying these days are less than 4 ounce fixed blade skinning style knives that are less in your way and way easier to access than a folder in your pocket. Me personally , I every day carry a folder style knife but when riding horses/mules or hunting/backpacking I carry a quick access fixed blade. Always have and it’s my preference.

When I backpack hunt my plan is to actually kill an animal not just prance around the terrain. A good quality light weight fixed blade skinner style/shape knife is a much faster and better field tool for breaking down animals than a replaceable blade knife or folder.

Usually by the time someone gets their pack off, finds their “kill kit”, digs around for their knife, puts on the razor blade, etc. we will have the animal gutted, skinned and already started on the process of assessing bullet location, condition of vitals, entry/possible exit, learning how it died, etc.

Weldor

WKR
I still use a D H Russell Candian bush knife model 57 , Their small and lightweight. Usually on my belt or bino harness depends on situation.