Anybody carry a fixed blade knife on their belt while hunting?

SonnyDay

WKR
I have a small fixed (Buck Paklite) on my shoulder strap. Comes in handy now and again. Hadn't thought of ramboing a deer, but I'l give that a shot.

Windigo

Lil-Rokslider
Just chuck a Mora on your pack waist belt and forget about it til you need it.

WCB

WKR
Yep..3.5" blade in sheath on waste belt of my pack. I hate having anything in my primary pockets. So any other knife I have (Havalon, skinning kife,) are in my pack decently buried. I just take the buckle off and run the webbing strap of my waist belt back enough...run it through the sheath loop, then reassemble the waist belt.

I just like having a fix blade handy immediately instead of having to fumble through my pack and rely on a folder. Also, mentally it probably stems from guiding on horse back and having a knife always on hand for wrecks...same reason my first aid kit is on my waist belt also. For the rare time you or someone around you needs it...it is right there. No digging b.s. or trying to explain to someone else where it is.

Jakeb

Lil-Rokslider
Folder and small pair of pliers in my pocket always. I tried hunting with a big fixed blade on my belt before. Didn’t take very many trips for me to realize I never needed/used it. Other than skinning, my folder I’m already carrying can handle everything I’ve ever needed a knife for.

Wolfshead

FNG
I always hunt with one on my belt, and usually have one (a folder) in my pack as well.
Packs get taken off, and set down or something, or can be unavailable for what ever reason. If it’s on my belt I have no worries.
I don’t hunt out west, but here in the Northeast, and I know there are some differences however.
I make my own.
I am considering making a kydex sheath so that I can wear a fixed blade on my bino harness, or pack strap.
This is the knife I hunted with on my belt all last season
IMG_4773.jpegIMG_4775.jpeg

This is the knife I plan to have on my belt this season.

IMG_5971.jpegIMG_5972.jpegIMG_5975.jpeg

Wolfshead

FNG
What are you guys using a knife for all the time walking around hunting?

Mine only comes out for camp stuff or when taking care of an animal, thus pack lid for me.
Better to have and not need, than need and not have.
What if the knife is in your pack, you set your pack down, and travel a distance from your pack, and then need your knife?
Many time I may not even be carrying a pack.

grfox92

WKR
I like the idea, but never have. I usually have a folder in my pocket and a disposable blade knife and benchmade altitude in my kill kit.

I remember my grandpa and uncles hunting with fixed blade knives in leather sheaths in the 80’s and 90’s.
Much like you, folder in my pocket or bino harness depending on what pants I'm wearing. Havalon in my kill kit.

Not sure how you wear a knife on your belt when wearing a pack? Technically shouldn't even be wearing a belt when wearing a pack.

SonnyDay

WKR
What are you guys using a knife for all the time walking around hunting?

Mine only comes out for camp stuff or when taking care of an animal, thus pack lid for me.
It's just easier to get to without having to dig through a pocket. And mine is not some giant dagger, the blade is like 2.5 inches. I've used it to cut away branches for a better ambush view. But probably more often for slicing/spreading lunch items!

Beendare

WKR
I like the idea, but never have. I usually have a folder in my pocket and a disposable blade knife and benchmade altitude in my kill kit.

I remember my grandpa and uncles hunting with fixed blade knives in leather sheaths in the 80’s and 90’s.

Thats old school.
No I carry a folder.

I did carry a big ole Buck General pig sticker back when a ran dogs for hogs...... and used it a lot.

dlee56

WKR
I switched from disposable blade to fixed blade a few years ago and I’m sticking with it. I have a Spyderco folding knife in my pocket for beating on and then I have 1-2 fixed blades I save for butchering. Smaller knives with a high quality steel will take you a long ways. This year I’m taking a magnacut and a short 1.7” s90v blade to butcher with.

Some folks like to whine that the harder steels are harder to sharpen (which they are) but you also have to sharpen them a lot less often. Still pretty easy to touch up on a marble stone when you have to.

Attachments

• IMG_5325.jpeg
    IMG_5325.jpeg
    338.3 KB · Views: 35