any skinny guys out there get hip bruises from your pack?

sk1

WKR
So I've been using my new TZ 6000 pack on the incline treadmill, it feels like a great fit, but I am getting bruises on my hips. This is a common issue for me unless I buy a pack with really thick padding as I'm pretty skinny at 6'1 185lbs and hip bones that stick out with no meat on em, ha.

Anyone else have this issue and come up with a way to solve the problem? The pack really feels great, and it wasn't from a belt as I've been wearing athletic shorts training. I am literally thinking of buying some additional padding or something, not really sure what else to do. As of right now it isn't really bad but who knows after over a week of hunting..

thoughts anyone?

Jager

WKR
Mate, there are thicker waist belts on the market that may be of some help. I know we read a lot about people saying such and such a pack is the best because you don't notice the weight you are carrying, get no hot spots etc, well, this is simply not true. No matter how much a pack is worth or how good it is supposed to be, carrying loads over long distances will cause some type of discomfort, unfortuneatley, this is a cold hard fact. The trick is to try and alleviate your packs nuances with experience. I know all packs are different and some are definitely more comfortable to carry than others though.

ozyclint

WKR
i'm skinny too but have never got bruises. i tend to wear the belt lower than most, just under the hip bones so i can bear some weight in the small of my back above my tiny butt. i see most guys with the belt on or above their hips. if i try that it feels like it's digging into my guts, not that i have any.

Last edited:

OR Archer

WKR
adjust the pack so it sits higher. thats the great thing about the Tenzings. shorten it up one slot and see how it does.

Lawnboi

WKR
Iv had my hips bleeding because of how much older packs ride on me (eberle blue widow). I now use kifaru, thier hipbelt is very wide and spreads the weight out very well. I still wear my belt just a hair high with the kifaru. I cannot do it a little low. Play around and see what your body likes but it seems alot of guys like to ride thiers a little higher.

Since I got my Kifaru pack iv put a decent amount of miles on it and it has not given me any strawberries yet. The wide hipbelt really does hug your hip bones rather than just sit on top of them. The hip belt is probably my favorite feature of my kifaru pack.

I wear my packs high and never had a problem with my horn hunter full curl, my kifaru t2, or my kifaru dt1. I wear it above my hips and squeeze my guts. It's the most comfortable way I've found for me.

RockChucker30

WKR
Rokslide Sponsor
Kifaru belts are the best Ive used, but they still bruise the points of my hips in warm weather. In cooler weather it's not a problem.

Taking more weighted hikes seems to help toughen up my hips and it's not as big of an issue.

bnsafe

WKR
yep, top of my hips get really sore. but if if lower the belt my shoulders kill me after about 3 miles so i just suck it up and go. not bad while im hiking but sucks the next day.

rpm4463

Lil-Rokslider
I've had the same problem in the past with several different packs once the load gets of 35-40 lbs. The best way to resolve the issued is wear the hip belt higher. I keep mine even or just above my belly button. You really have to sinch is down and will probably have to adjust your shoulder straps.

phil

FNG
Ditto Lawnboi! Thicker isn't always better. Kifaru belts are thinner and conform to your hips when adjusted in the right sequence. I am skinny at 5' 8" 135. I have no problem with 70+ lbs. phil

I recommend wearing the pack higher as well or abandoning the pack if it does not fix the problem.
I wear my pack higher as others have mentioned with no problems, but have previously suffered thru these issues with other packs. I never did find a consistent fix for these ill fitting packs and eventually sold them off.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
it really fits great and 60lbs feels like nothing, but boney hips aren't helping.....I may try to wear it just a tad higher later today and see if it helps, I can't go too much higher or i will be entirely above the hip and then the belt will dig down as it would be resting on the top of my hips

I get bruises too from wearing a pack. Especially if I put on some miles. Part of the game.

OP
sk1

sk1

WKR
that's why i asked the question, wanted to know if it's normal or just me.....sounds like it is somewhat normal but maybe some things that can be done to help a little

JPD350

WKR
I wear my pack (Kifaru T2) to where the center of the belt is on the top of the hip bone and have had no real problems. The adjustment straps for the belt definitely makes a huge difference in distributing the weight properly, Also when the belt goes to low on the hips it will start effecting the hip muscles and make hiking distances not so fun.

luke moffat

Super Moderator
Mystery Ranch, Barney's of Alaska, Kifaru, Osprey, Arcteryx they all have given me brusies on my hips when I load 'em up heavy and carry that weight for a long time/ways. Just part of the deal IMO. Its comfy and I don't realize I have the bruises until the pack is off, but it happens. I'm not overly skinny at 5'9 160 right now, but skinny enough my hip bones stick out and the pack rides there nicely.