Any reason not to cut .223 back to 16.5”?

I have a Howa mini action .223REM in a Stockys carbon stock. It shoots 62 TTSX chrono’d at 2920fps with its 22” sporter barrel.

With the lightweight stock it actually feels a little front heavy and I am looking for a reason not to cut back to 16.5”. I am TMK “curious” and wondering if the 100fps +/- loss will have any real world effects.

Attachments

• 8683E475-0C41-439C-80AD-10C516C6A712.jpeg
    8683E475-0C41-439C-80AD-10C516C6A712.jpeg
    295.7 KB · Views: 50
Pick a minimum impact velocity for your projectile and the range you want to stay above that. Let that guide your barrel length decision. 1800 fps in a pretty standard minimum impact velocity to use for lead bullets.

Just calculate yardage where whatever you plan to shoot will go below 1800 fps. If that is acceptable max shooting yardage, then 16.5" will make an awesome compact rifle.

I like the 16.5” idea, the odds of me using this beyond 400 for hunting are slim. It looks like there is some evidence of the TMK performing <1800 fps in some instances. At 400yds I would find that out based on my calcs.

I have a Ruger American ranch rifle with a 16.1” barrel and it shoots wonderfully. If I were in your shoes I wouldn’t hesitate to cut that barrel down, then I’d put a suppressor on it.

I have a chopped 16” howa mini in a Stocky’s carbon VG

2670fps with 77tmk over TAC

With my Nomad Ti it’s a pleasure

Shoots tighter groups after I had I cut back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks for the input. Why not! I’ll send it out today and will go ahead and have it threaded for my can. It will be interesting to see how much velocity I actually loose. The weight savings and balance alone will make it worth it.

I run 75gr amax's at 2650 outta a 16" barrel. I think 16"-18" is the sweet spot for a rifle that is in your hands

As already said, it will seem a lot louder to the shooter than with a full length barrel.

I have a tikka lite cut back to 16.5” and threaded, for suppressed use only. I’ve fired it a few times unsuppressed, and wouldn’t want to use it that way often. But I hate Shooting any rifle un-muffled anymore..

As already said, it will seem a lot louder to the shooter than with a full length barrel.

I have a tikka lite cut back to 16.5” and threaded, for suppressed use only. I’ve fired it a few times unsuppressed, and wouldn’t want to use it that way often. But I hate Shooting any rifle un-muffled anymore..
Yeah I don’t see a reason to cut a rifle down that low unless you plan to hang a can off it. A 20-24” rifle is still handy, has higher speeds, and is quieter at the ear.

Well I received my rifle back cut to 16”, and I am very satisfied after an afternoon visit to the range. I only shot out to 100yds due to limited time, but the rifle remains a 3/4” rifle in my hands, likely better for someone else.

After cutting the barrel back, my rifle weighs in at 5lb 3oz as pictured, it is very handy! And the short overall length barely sticks out when strapped to my pack.

Before cutting the barrel, without earplugs it made my ears ring. After cutting, my ears still ring and I do not notice a significant difference with my loads to my ears.

At 22” 62grn TTSX was traveling @ 2920avg, at 16” the same load averaged 2810.

I am very happy with how it turned out, next I will need to do some bullet impact testing to determine if I want to stick with the ttsx, or switch to the tmk.

Attachments

• 0108D1A0-B752-40A9-8230-820E31E6FAC0.jpeg
    0108D1A0-B752-40A9-8230-820E31E6FAC0.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 41
My goodness buddy, at least wear ear pro. Get a can if you can, but at least some plugs!
I should have added context that I took my plugs out for one shot to compare. As I was concerned as others mentioned it would become very loud and blasty. When hunting, there are some scenarios I dont remember/have time to put plugs in.

I do have a few cans, and I think they are great for practice at the range and recoil management. Not to mention very cool, especially on my 300blk howa mini. But honestly in a hunting situation I think they are cumbersome and not really worth it.

My banish backcountry can weighs 8.1 actual oz. Meanwhile I am eating lunch with a titanium spork and a scalpel that ive drilled a million holes in it to lighten up…

I should have added context that I took my plugs out for one shot to compare. As I was concerned as others mentioned it would become very loud and blasty. When hunting, there are some scenarios I dont remember/have time to put plugs in.

I do have a few cans, and I think they are great for practice at the range and recoil management. Not to mention very cool, especially on my 300blk howa mini. But honestly in a hunting situation I think they are cumbersome and not really worth it.

My banish backcountry can weighs 8.1 actual oz. Meanwhile I am eating lunch with a titanium spork and a scalpel that ive drilled a million holes in it to lighten up…
The difference is that your spork doesn’t cause permanent damage in an instant. A single shot is sufficient for causing permanent hearing loss.

People also say animal behavior is favorable to a suppressor — but I have no experience there as mine are still in jail.

Back