Any raptor F150 owners?

Considering trading in my 2020 F150 XLT with 37k miles and going to a Gen 2 (2018-2020) raptor.

Wanted to see if there was any raptor owners that could comment on what to look for when buying a second gen? Or what years to avoid? Likely will be buying a ford certified preowned one or will get an extended warranty through Zeiger or Flood ford

Also, any regrets going with a raptor? I don’t care about the looks, just the performance offroad at higher speeds (think desert)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yfarm

WKR
2 Raptor forums, Fordraptorforum and raptorforumz. All the information you could ask for.
Original owner of ‘11 scab with 150k on it and son has a 21, flawless. Mine had tires every 70k, on its 3rd set of brakes. First repairs were around 10 yrs, had transfer case actuator motor, air conditioning line and rear window regulator motor over about 2 years. Sons has had no repairs, only oil changes has about 30k on it. Most of my miles are 1500 mile,day and a half highway runs between Texas and Florida or the midwest. Easy 1000 mile/day truck. Has been on ranch,blm and fs roads. No high speed offroad stuff. Shocks were rebuilt at 111k as 2 started leaking after a trip to the Florida Mts. If I was thinking about high speed desert running would just buy a S California chase truck and call it good
Sons Raptor replaced an M3 and an M4, is far happier with the truck and not visiting bmw dealers.

Last edited:

2buffalo

Lil-Rokslider
Had a 2019 until I traded it in this winter. Had electrical issues they couldn't figure out and a bad cam phaser they replaced under warranty. Other than that it was the best performing off road truck I have ever owned and I have owned a lot. Before that I had a power wagon and the raptor put it to shame on off road capability.

dlee56

WKR
I had a 2013 for 7 years, that thing was great. The 6.5 was definitely slower than my 3.5 ecoboost I have now, but the raptor was the best smoothest riding vehicle I’ve ever driven.

Braaap

WKR
I bought a 2013 gen 1 raptor in March and it’s amazing. Unbelievable off-road at high speed. I live in Nevada and actually use this truck as it was intended and could never go back to a regular truck. I had a F150 with the 3.5 eco boost and it’s a nice motor but the V8 just sounds and feels correct for this truck. Definitely buy one!!!

vladkgb

FNG
I enjoyed my raptor on trails, however I had to trade it in because it's payload was worthless, mine was 1k lbs, so me, and 8 bales of hay maxed that out, and based on that I couldn't tow my toy hauler or any other trailer. If you plan on towing or hauling it's not worth it. I got a f250 tremor diesel and love it.

So people actually take them off road? Never seen that before…
If you spend time in Central/Eastern Washington, they're popular for work trucks on the orchards. Nothing rides as smoothly as a Raptor.
I had a customer that came in to trade his 2011 Raptor with 211k miles on it for another.
If you need to haul, they're in the same payload category as a Tundra.
Get a trailer for the hay bales.

yfarm

WKR
Common oilfield truck for SE NM and the Permian basin. Stayed in Carlsbad NM a couple of times and saw the filthiest,mud caked raptors I have seen anywhere, all were oilfield people.

I had a gen 2 (2018) that I just traded in on a gen 3 (2022). I work on lease roads and a raptor is the only stock truck that won’t get destroyed after regular use. My gen 2 made it to 135k miles before I traded it in. I wouldn’t have traded it in but the cam phaser was about to go. That is the only real problem I had with my gen 2. I would def get a carfax report to see if the cam phaser had been changed out. It is at least $4k to fix. But mine ran strong even though the CP was making noise. I will have a difficult time going back to a different 1/2 ton truck. Hopefully never need to.

OP
T
I had a gen 2 (2018) that I just traded in on a gen 3 (2022). I work on lease roads and a raptor is the only stock truck that won’t get destroyed after regular use. My gen 2 made it to 135k miles before I traded it in. I wouldn’t have traded it in but the cam phaser was about to go. That is the only real problem I had with my gen 2. I would def get a carfax report to see if the cam phaser had been changed out. It is at least $4k to fix. But mine ran strong even though the CP was making noise. I will have a difficult time going back to a different 1/2 ton truck. Hopefully never need to.

The CP is something I’m giving a lot of consideration to…

I’ve been told to look for a 2020 built after Nov 2019 so it hopefully has the updated CP. I’ve looked at a number of raptor’s carfax and have seen any Gen 2s that call out the CP update. Do you know if they use other terminology or some kind of code when referring to replacing the CP?

Timberhunter I’ve only known of them describing it as CP or possibly under a recall number. They had considerable less problems after they put the new design in the 2019s. Only other problem with the gen 2s is that most are starting to see more mileage (again mine was at 135k and would’ve kept it and done upgrades if it wasn’t for CP). I jumped to gen 3 because of the deal I found… if you want to call $77k a deal .

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
If you get one I would recommend getting dealer springs. I have a 2020, they ride better and make a big difference. I got the chase weight ones and they ride better than stock and really help towing. I like the truck and am very happy with it. It comes alive for fast off road stuff. It’s a great truck.

ceng

Lil-Rokslider
Deaver not dealer. Sorry I missed the auto correct.

Antique0s

FNG
My cousin got one. His wife always had it and he never got to drive it. So he bought a second one for himself. He is not a farmer....

Marshfly

WKR
If your intended load is light the Raptor is the way to go. It will do it with no mods in comfort.

If you need to carry some weight (I'd think a hunter would if he's not by himself all the time) a Ram Power Wagon or Ford Super Duty with a Thuren or Carli Suspension on 37s will be the way to go. Anyone that doubts that an HD truck with one of those suspensions can't handle fast dirt extremely well has no idea what they are talking about.

The other thing to consider is if you sleep in the bed. Hell no doing that with a 5.5ft bed.

Justin Crossley

Administrator
Staff member
I love my 2018! I did have cam phasers replaced at 95k which sucks but it's my favorite truck ever for hunting and shooting trips. With Decked drawers and the Smartcap, it's perfect for my needs. I have Ikon rear springs that I'll install as soon as I get time to put ride height back near stock with the extra weight all the time.

20240530_194716.jpg

I also have a 2018 Powerstroke F350 dually for hauling which is a great combination with the Raptor.

If I only had one truck, it would likely be the F350 Tremor with 7.3 gas motor.

OP
T
I love my 2018! I did have cam phasers replaced at 95k which sucks but it's my favorite truck ever for hunting and shooting trips. With Decked drawers and the Smartcap, it's perfect for my needs. I have Ikon rear springs that I'll install as soon as I get time to put ride height back near stock with the extra weight all the time.

View attachment 720297

I also have a 2018 Powerstroke F350 dually for hauling which is a great combination with the Raptor.

If I only had one truck, it would likely be the F350 Tremor with 7.3 gas motor.

Love that blue color!

Owning my 20’ XLT outright vs a $300-400/month payment for a raptor is hanging me up. Not because that’s not affordable, just hard to pay monthly for an item that is also losing value

But man would it be cool/fun to hit whoops/rough roads at speed